PINE64
128GB eMMC support - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: Pinebook Pro Hardware and Accessories (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: 128GB eMMC support (/showthread.php?tid=11204)

128GB eMMC support - dgkPBP - 08-31-2020

Does the Pinebook Pro support the 128GB eMMC?

I ordered one, flashed it with the latest Manjaro. It will walk you through the initial setup (name, pswd, location, etc) but fails to reboot when completed. If I power down and reboot, it just hangs.

Thanks.

RE: 128GB eMMC support - KC9UDX - 08-31-2020

I think you answered your own question. It seems you have a software problem.

RE: 128GB eMMC support - tophneal - 08-31-2020

Yes, any Pine emmc is supported in the PBP (The very first public batch actually shipped with that size. I use mine and have not have an issue with it yet.)

How are you imaging your emmc?

RE: 128GB eMMC support - dgkPBP - 08-31-2020

(08-31-2020, 06:44 AM)tophneal Wrote: Yes, any Pine emmc is supported in the PBP (The very first public batch actually shipped with that size. I use mine and have not have an issue with it yet.)

Interesting. I wasn't sure if it was supported or not.

I'm using a USB/emmc writer with Etcher. I flashed it twice using Manjaro ARM with KDE (Plasma); no joy.

Thanks

RE: 128GB eMMC support - tophneal - 08-31-2020

(08-31-2020, 06:52 AM)dgkPBP Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 06:44 AM)tophneal Wrote: Yes, any Pine emmc is supported in the PBP (The very first public batch actually shipped with that size. I use mine and have not have an issue with it yet.)

Interesting. I wasn't sure if it was supported or not.

I'm using a USB/emmc writer with Etcher. I flashed it twice using Manjaro ARM with KDE (Plasma); no joy.

Thanks

You could try using the Manjaro SD>eMMc installer image, or try going back a month or two in the Manjaro release images and trying one of them. Anything 20.02+ should be good (though i have heard of people having issues with 20.06 images.

RE: 128GB eMMC support - dgkPBP - 08-31-2020

Just re-downloaded 20.08, re-flashed, installed; no joy. It goes through all the configuration questions and reboots. I get three solid lines about a quarter inch wide from top to bottom of the screen; kind of like the logo is streched out.

However, when I power it off and reboot, I get the manjaro logo; spinning dots then it stops. Wait about a minute+, and I get the logon!

I can logon ok. Power down and back up OK.

Strange.

RE: 128GB eMMC support - dgkPBP - 09-08-2020

(08-31-2020, 08:18 AM)dgkPBP Wrote: Just re-downloaded 20.08, re-flashed, installed; no joy. It goes through all the configuration questions and reboots. I get three solid lines about a quarter inch wide from top to bottom of the screen; kind of like the logo is streched out. 

However, when I power it off and reboot, I get the manjaro logo; spinning dots  then it stops. Wait about a minute+, and I get the logon!

I can logon ok. Power down and back up OK.

Strange.
OK, the 128GB eMMC is working...but if I try to reboot from the running system, it hangs with a distorted logo (three lines from top to bottom of screen). If I manually power down, it will boot up just fine.

It also will not boot from a USB or SD. USB does nothing and the SD will hang wilh spinning dots. If I hit escape, I get a blank screen with ablinking cursor. IF I power down, remove the SD card and boot, it works fine.

I guess I can live with it, but it's troubling. I'd love to see a diagnostic image we could boot and run basic tests (memory test, re-flash boot, etc).

Thanks.

RE: 128GB eMMC support - KC9UDX - 09-08-2020

It has been reporteda in another thread that the Uboot that came with the original Debian might solve this problem.