PINE64
Alarm clock doesn’t work - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+---- Forum: Mobian on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+---- Thread: Alarm clock doesn’t work (/showthread.php?tid=10752)

Pages: 1 2

Alarm clock doesn’t work - Captain1ndustry - 07-20-2020

I don’t know where else to post this, but the alarm clock function in the clock app does not work. I updated as recently as yesterday evening. Just putting this out there again, if there is a better place for trivial bug reports please direct me there. Thanks again for all the amazing work and rapid progress to this point.

RE: Alarm clock doesn’t work - antiX-Dave - 07-20-2020

(07-20-2020, 12:45 PM)Captain1ndustry Wrote: I don’t know where else to post this, but the alarm clock function in the clock app does not work. I updated as recently as yesterday evening. Just putting this out there again, if there is a better place for trivial bug reports please direct me there. Thanks again for all the amazing work and rapid progress to this point.

Yes I noticed the same, not sure where to file a bug report myself.
For the interm as a work around I have been using a cronjob and music123

apt install music123
crontab -e

and add something like
0 7 * * * /usr/local/bin/alarm.sh

and in alarm.sh have something like
Code:
#!/bin/bash
Code:
for i in `seq 1 10`; do
Code:
    music123 /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/alarm-clock-elapsed.oga
Code:
done
which plays the alarm clock sound 10 times in a row

The unfortunate thing is that doing so will be quite difficult to turn off and it is kindof quiet. You could modify the script to fix this a number of ways I am certain. My initial thought would be check for a file, but making a file takes more time than the thing plays for. Maybe an adaption to check if the flashlight app is running... then you could start the flashlight app to turn it off.

RE: Alarm clock doesn’t work - chris_02 - 07-22-2020

(07-20-2020, 12:45 PM)Captain1ndustry Wrote: but the alarm clock function in the clock app does not work.
Did you activate it after you programmed it?

Cause I tested it and it's working at my place.

RE: Alarm clock doesn’t work - dukla2000 - 07-22-2020

(07-22-2020, 03:00 PM)chris_02 Wrote:
(07-20-2020, 12:45 PM)Captain1ndustry Wrote: but the alarm clock function in the clock app does not work.
Did you activate it after you programmed it?

Cause I tested it and it's working at my place.

Also just tested and it worked fine. (A couple of weeks ago I tested and it did not work but seems that is history.)

RE: Alarm clock doesn’t work - Boern - 07-22-2020

Make sure your volume is loud enough.

RE: Alarm clock doesn’t work - scott_VYuCAbn3k1NFK - 07-24-2020

The alarm doesn't wake the phone for me, if I set the alarm for more than the sleep time, it only goes off when I wake the phone manually.

RE: Alarm clock doesn’t work - Kawayuppie - 10-21-2020

(07-24-2020, 09:33 PM)scott_VYuCAbn3k1NFK Wrote: The alarm doesn't wake the phone for me, if I set the alarm for more than the sleep time, it only goes off when I wake the phone manually.

I have been thinking about this. I think the "Clock app" will need to be modified to set a timer interrupt or similar so as to wake the phone in time to sound the alarm.

(10-21-2020, 03:43 AM)Kawayuppie Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 09:33 PM)scott_VYuCAbn3k1NFK Wrote: The alarm doesn't wake the phone for me, if I set the alarm for more than the sleep time, it only goes off when I wake the phone manually.

I have been thinking about this. I think the "Clock app" will need to be modified to set a timer interrupt or similar so as to wake the phone in time to sound the alarm.

Experimenting with linux RTC ... will see if this works.

RE: Alarm clock doesn’t work - Kawayuppie - 10-21-2020

(10-21-2020, 03:43 AM)Kawayuppie Wrote:

Preliminary testing using "rtcwake" does work a treat.
To test, set the alarm for some time, say a couple hours later, to be sure the pinephone is nicely asleep when the alarm is supposed to sound.
The set "rtcwake";

Code:
sudo rtcwake -m no -l -t "$(date -d 'today 16:00:00' '+%s')"

where  -m no means dont suspend/sleep now, -l means local time, -t the time and date string when to wake up.

Note: kernel time needs to be same as local time, in the above example, or you will need to work out the difference.
Check this with;

Code:
sudo hwclock -r

Next steps will be to see if it will be possible to change the clock code or write a new clock program.  Will be interesting how to handle multiple alarms.

RE: Alarm clock doesn’t work - pothos - 01-08-2021

I wrote an alarm clock app which wakes the device through systemd timers setting the RTC device clock: https://gitlab.gnome.org/kailueke/wake-mobile

Mobian packages are linked in the README

RE: Alarm clock doesn’t work - bitnick - 01-13-2021

Great work on this, working timer and alarms in the Clocks app would be very useful. Thanks!