PINE64
Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Chromium. - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Chromium. (/showthread.php?tid=10620)

Pages: 1 2

Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Chromium. - Nobot - 07-09-2020

I have a few question regarding the Pinebook Pro. First has anyone gotten Netflix or Amazon Prime Video to work on the Pro machine? I created two bootable micro SD cards with Chromium arm64 live. One using belenaEtcher and the other Rufus. Zilch noda no run on my pro. Used both Etcher & Rufus to make bootable USB drives for my desktop and micro SD cards with Manjaro 20.06 and they worked just fine. Is there a magic trick to run Chromium on the Pinebook Pro? I got the iso's from Pinebook Pros Wiki page. Youtube is ok but Netflix and Amazon Prime Video is the way to watch movies.

RE: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Chromium. - carlosqueso - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 04:24 PM)Nobot Wrote: I have a few question regarding the Pinebook Pro. First has anyone gotten Netflix or Amazon Prime Video to work on the Pro machine? I created two bootable micro SD cards with Chromium arm64 live. One using belenaEtcher and the other Rufus. Zilch noda no run on my pro. Used both Etcher & Rufus to make bootable USB drives for my desktop and micro SD cards with Manjaro 20.06 and they worked just fine. Is there a magic trick to run Chromium on the Pinebook Pro? I got the iso's from Pinebook Pros Wiki page. Youtube is ok but Netflix and Amazon Prime Video is the way to watch movies.

I haven't messed with Chromium yet (it's in the plans, but I'm in love with Manjaro i3 right now).  To get Netflix/Prime/etc. to work on Manjaro, you can install the chromium-docker package.  There's a bit of a trick to it:

1. Install docker with: pamac install docker
2. Add your regular user to the docker group with: sudo gpasswd --add <user> docker
3. Install chromium-docker with: pamac install chromium-docker
4. Restart your machine (no idea why this step's necessary, but it's never worked for me without it)

Once you do that, you'll have a chromium-armhf entry in your menu that'll run Netflix, Spotify, and most other things.  It's....adequate.  You won't get the experience of a TV box or even a mid-range tablet, but you will have movies.

RE: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Chromium. - xmixahlx - 07-09-2020

also works fine on debian armhf natively.

RE: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Chromium. - tophneal - 07-10-2020

Current mainline u-boot has a bit of an issue with older images using BSP u-boot (read Chromium OS here.) Currently, you'd likely need to overwrite the mainline u-boot included with Manjaro, with a BSP version, to boot Chromium from SD.

I'd also advise to avoid using current CrOS build for video streaming. Even from eMMC, CrOS can quickly overcome the PBP and cause it to overheat and reboot when streaming video. I would personally highly advise against streaming video services through the PBP (at least for the time being.)

Currently, the chromium-docker is your best bet to run these services, and reportedly has the least amount of negative impact on PBP performance.

RE: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Chromium. - mamboman777 - 07-10-2020

(07-10-2020, 06:00 AM)tophneal Wrote: Current mainline u-boot has a bit of an issue with older images using BSP u-boot (read Chromium OS here.) Currently, you'd likely need to overwrite the mainline u-boot included with Manjaro, with a BSP version, to boot Chromium from SD.

I'd also advise to avoid using current CrOS build for video streaming. Even from eMMC, CrOS can quickly overcome the PBP and cause it to overheat and reboot when streaming video. I would personally highly advise against streaming video services through the PBP (at least for the time being.)

Currently, the chromium-docker is your best bet to run these services, and reportedly has the least amount of negative impact on PBP performance.
Chromium-Docker works well for me.  I think it's awesome that it can be loaded using the package manager, too.  I had to try to load it twice for some reason (build, remove, build) for it to work, but it's working now. 

Also, unless I did something different, chromium-docker has to be run as sudo to work properly.  I've achieved this a couple different ways:
Option 1.  From the menu, right click on Chromium-armv7, go over to the "Application" tab, and under command add "kdesu " before the command.  On my computer that looks like this "kdesu /usr/local/bin/chromium-armhf"  (Note, if you don't like the terminal running in the background, you can also click on "Advanced Options" and uncheck "run in terminal" while you are in here.  Now what should happen when you run chromium-armv7 is you are asked for a password, then you're off to the races. 

Option 2. to running chromium-armv7 as sudo is to add "sudo" to the "Command" box within the settings.  To successfully run this way you need to "sudo nano /etc/sudoers" scroll to the bottom and add "username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/local/bin/chromium-armhf" (or wherever your chromium-armv7 installation is) replacing the 'username' with your user name.  This way may be less secure (I'm not sure, actually) but allows the command "chromium-armhf" to be run by your user as sudo without password.

Hope this helps!  Keep on hackin'!

RE: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Chromium. - Nobot - 07-10-2020

Thank you everyone. I am working on installing Chromium. As you guys know i am a complete novice concerning Linux code. When I get Chromium installed or running off an SD card I will post my success. I really appreciate all the help.
Smile

RE: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Chromium. - stozi - 08-05-2020

Hey, just got my hands on a couple PBPs. I've done everything mentioned in this thread but I can't get the special chromium to open.

e.g.

Code:
$ chromium-armhf (or # chromium-armhf)
Enabling XHost Forwarding
non-network local connections being added to access control list
Searching for Docker image ...
Found and using
"docker run" requires at least 1 argument.
See 'docker run --help'.

Usage: docker run [OPTIONS] IMAGE [COMMAND] [ARG...]

Run a command in a new container

Am I an idiot? added user to group, restarted, tried sudo, no luck.

RE: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Chromium. - mamboman777 - 08-05-2020

(08-05-2020, 01:41 PM)stozi Wrote: Hey, just got my hands on a couple PBPs. I've done everything mentioned in this thread but I can't get the special chromium to open.

e.g.

Code:
Found and using
See 'docker run --help'.

Try running it as sudo.

RE: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Chromium. - stozi - 08-06-2020

(08-05-2020, 07:21 PM)mamboman777 Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 01:41 PM)stozi Wrote: Hey, just got my hands on a couple PBPs. I've done everything mentioned in this thread but I can't get the special chromium to open.

e.g.

Code:
Found and using
See 'docker run --help'.

Try running it as sudo.
I did.

RE: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Chromium. - karlyn - 08-06-2020

FWIW, I was unable to get the packaged version of this docker container working. I'm sure there is something I did that wasn't correct. I kept getting some errors about commands not being found from within the container. It would load a window, but nothing would work inside of the window ( I just got the Oh Snap page ).

I was, however, able to follow instructions for the hthiemann/docker-chromium-armhf docker image on the following website and get it to run. I've only used gmail inside of it, so your results might vary. I also did not have to run it using sudo to get it to function.

https://github.com/HenningThiemann/docker-chromium-armhf