PINE64
Unable to send SMS on US Mobile GSM (T-Mobile MVNO) - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+---- Forum: Mobian on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+---- Thread: Unable to send SMS on US Mobile GSM (T-Mobile MVNO) (/showthread.php?tid=10546)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Unable to send SMS on US Mobile GSM (T-Mobile MVNO) - devrtz - 07-09-2020

I have just briefly had a look through the code.
What appears to happen is that chatty has no SMS protocol enabled at that time making the "+" button greyed out.
Presumably chatty does not "find" the modem on startup and therefore has no SMS support.

Could you try doing the following:
After boot wait a little bit to make sure the modem is online and connected to your carrier (I don't think you necessarily need to be connected - I could be wrong though).
then run "killall chatty" a few times until you get "no process found" and then start chatty again from the UI.

I have the suspicion that the "protocol detection" is only run once on startup and maybe it is during a time (since a daemon is autostarted)
where the modem is not yet "fully up". Obviously when you receive a new SMS chatty will then know that SMS work (if that makes sense) ;)

RE: Unable to send SMS on US Mobile GSM (T-Mobile MVNO) - bcnaz - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 01:04 AM)devrtz Wrote: I have just briefly had a look through the code.
What appears to happen is that chatty has no SMS protocol enabled at that time making the "+" button greyed out.
Presumably chatty does not "find" the modem on startup and therefore has no SMS support.

I have the suspicion that the "protocol detection" is only run once on startup and maybe it is during a time (since a daemon is autostarted)
where the modem is not yet "fully up". Obviously when you receive a new SMS chatty will then know that SMS work (if that makes sense) Wink

Whoa !

My phone was sitting for 5 or 6 hours and apparently did an auto-update.

The signal strength icon has completely disappeared,   no modem function at all now.
I cannot even make a phone call...

When I restart the phone,  only sometimes the signal icon shows for an instant, but does not populate with a signal
  THEN  when I sign-in there is no signal indicator at all.

I have just installed the July 09 nightly release,

I have a working modem again,  but still have the problem of text App/chatty (not initializing )

I tried leaving an un-opened text in the App and re-starting the phone but that did not help.

>  Though if I receive a text while my Brave Heart is turned off,  it will activate/initialize when I turn it on.

RE: Unable to send SMS on US Mobile GSM (T-Mobile MVNO) - bcnaz - 07-09-2020

where the modem is not yet "fully up". Obviously when you receive a new SMS chatty will then know that SMS work (if that makes sense) Wink

I have no idea when that was  "Changed"  but it would seem to be fairly recent, as maybe just a few weeks back...

That did just "work"  in the past.

Thanks for your keen observations,  could this possibly only affect the version 1.1 motherboards ? (Brave Heart )

>   I would think more people would be complaining if it affected everyone.

BC

RE: Unable to send SMS on US Mobile GSM (T-Mobile MVNO) - devrtz - 07-10-2020

Must have been when I updated the package to the latest chatty release.

And I don't think this would be limited to BH users (I could be wrong though!)

Did you try killing the process and starting chatty fresh as I described in the last post?
For this to work your modem needs to be detected though (the cellular icon should appear,
but does not necessarily have to have a connection I think)

Edit: If we can't figure out what the problem is, we should open an issue here

Edit^2: Just come across this issue myself and confirmed it can be "solved" by killing and restarting chatty.
Have opened an issue

RE: Unable to send SMS on US Mobile GSM (T-Mobile MVNO) - devrtz - 07-10-2020

Updating to the newest purple-mm-sms package should fix your issue!
It now watches for changes in ModemManager.

Btw we kind of hijacked the thread a bit.
Next time this should be discussed in a different thread.
Maybe the mods can move it?

RE: Unable to send SMS on US Mobile GSM (T-Mobile MVNO) - bcnaz - 07-13-2020

I was away from service over the weekend...

I Just made a copy of the July 13 nightly.... and flashed it.
I still need to initialize the text app using my second phone.  (?)

IT works just fine once it is initialized.  ( until the next boot )

I am wondering how many others have not been able to use their text ?
    ( How many have a second phone to initialize their text App ? )

BC

RE: Unable to send SMS on US Mobile GSM (T-Mobile MVNO) - radarman - 07-18-2020

I am testing US Mobile service and also unable to send SMS

Running mobian, nightly from yesterday, but image from week ago had the same problem

In journalctl output I see

Code:
...ModemManager[1615]: transaction 0xd aborted, but message is not abortable
...ModemManager[1615]: [/dev/cdc-wdm0] No transaction matched in received message

Same issue regardless of using Chatty vs modem-manager-gui

RE: Unable to send SMS on US Mobile GSM (T-Mobile MVNO) - NoahAndrews - 12-06-2020

(07-18-2020, 05:49 PM)radarman Wrote: I am testing US Mobile service and also unable to send SMS

Running mobian, nightly from yesterday, but image from week ago had the same problem

In journalctl output I see

Code:
...ModemManager[1615]: transaction 0xd aborted, but message is not abortable
...ModemManager[1615]: [/dev/cdc-wdm0] No transaction matched in received message

Same issue regardless of using Chatty vs modem-manager-gui

That's really interesting, I wonder if our issue was specific to US Mobile somehow.

At any rate, I just re-flashed my phone using the new FDE installer, and sending SMS messages from chatty works fine now!