PINE64
Red Pinephone USB-C cable.. just for charging, right? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Accessories (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+--- Thread: Red Pinephone USB-C cable.. just for charging, right? (/showthread.php?tid=10505)

Red Pinephone USB-C cable.. just for charging, right? - djvinniev77 - 06-30-2020

Hi everyone, 

Just wanted to check in and see what others have found with the cable received with the PinePhone. Mine is red, I thought it was a standard USB-C cable but it turns out it only works for charging. I tried plugging in this cable to an android phone and linux PC, the lsusb command comes up with nothing/can't find device. Switched to another cable to find that it does work as a standard usb cable, data transfer/charge capable. 
Hopefully it is as designed, just for charging. 

Thanks

RE: Red Pinephone USB-C cable.. just for charging, right? - DrewTechs - 07-01-2020

(06-30-2020, 01:55 PM)djvinniev77 Wrote: Hi everyone, 

Just wanted to check in and see what others have found with the cable received with the PinePhone. Mine is red, I thought it was a standard USB-C cable but it turns out it only works for charging. I tried plugging in this cable to an android phone and linux PC, the lsusb command comes up with nothing/can't find device. Switched to another cable to find that it does work as a standard usb cable, data transfer/charge capable. 

Thanks

That's odd, from my experience it's perfectly capable of Data Transfer. Works when I use it for my 1 TB external SSD and it works when running JumpDrive on the microSD card to install an OS on the eMMC.

RE: Red Pinephone USB-C cable.. just for charging, right? - Boern - 07-01-2020

Works for data for me too. It even works so well that I am currently using it as a link cable for my Oculus Quest.

RE: Red Pinephone USB-C cable.. just for charging, right? - tllim - 07-02-2020

(06-30-2020, 01:55 PM)djvinniev77 Wrote: Hi everyone, 

Thanks

The PinePhone USB-C cable color RED indicate this is a power cable. This cable has USB 2.0 D+ and D- line due to some power supply using this two data line to determine supply current. The power lines (VBus and Ground) inside this cable have been thicken, capable of handles up to 4A and also low resistor value to minimize power loss (voltage drop). You can use this cable as an USB 2.0 cable.