PINE64

Full Version: Pinebook 1080: US keymap for \ | (backslash pipe) key near left shift?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a Pinebook 1080 11.6", and there is a key which doesn't map correctly.

I searched and found no answer, hopefully this has already been answered though.

Near my left shift key, I have a key with \ on the bottom and | on top, which are backslash and pipe.

However, when I use it to type, I get this:

<
> (with shift)

I don't know much about keymaps because I'm in the US and it always "just worked".
Same here.
(11-11-2018, 07:40 AM)acruhl Wrote: [ -> ]I have a Pinebook 1080 11.6", and there is a key which doesn't map correctly.

I searched and found no answer, hopefully this has already been answered though.

Near my left shift key, I have a key with \ on the bottom and | on top, which are backslash and pipe.

However, when I use it to type, I get this:

<
> (with shift)

I don't know much about keymaps because I'm in the US and it always "just worked".

Same here (1080 11").

xev reports it's keycode 94, XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 60, XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (3e) ">"  (I think that was shifted, btw).

I tried using "keycode 94 = backslash bar", but it didn't seem to work.
xkeycaps didn't work either, with an X protocol error when it sent the X_SetModifierMapping request.  I suspect that was the crazy number of modifiers it was trying to set though.

hrm.

perhaps it needs to be hacked using xkb instead?  i'll need to research that.
(11-11-2018, 07:40 AM)acruhl Wrote: [ -> ]I have a Pinebook 1080 11.6", and there is a key which doesn't map correctly.

<
> (with shift)

Yep, the 11" has an odd placement of some of the chars (like ' and ") BUT your CAN remap the \ | key using the following:

Code:
# remap Pipe Key to Pipe
xmodmap -e "keycode  94 = backslash bar backslash bar"

Put it in your .bashrc and it will be there the next time you login.
Stop this insanity and use "English (US, alt. intl.)" as your keyboard layout Big Grin
An even _better_ solution!
(11-18-2018, 12:20 AM)Noxmiles Wrote: [ -> ]Stop this insanity and use "English (US, alt. intl.)" as your keyboard layout Big Grin

oh my god

thank you for saving my life.
For future reference, this is what I set my keyboard to so the apostrophe was the correct one. At least for me.

Layout: English (US)

Variant: English (US, international AltGr Unicode combining, alternative)
(11-18-2018, 12:20 AM)Noxmiles Wrote: [ -> ]Stop this insanity and use "English (US, alt. intl.)" as your keyboard layout Big Grin

I did that and now the apostrophe or double quote only works every other time I press the key. This is weird. They are in bpue on the - key and I have to use Fn. 

I might go back to the regular layout and just deal with it. Or just try the keymap for that particular key.
(11-19-2018, 02:41 PM)acruhl Wrote: [ -> ]

I did that and now the apostrophe or double quote only works every other time I press the key. This is weird. They are in bpue on the - key and I have to use Fn. 

I might go back to the regular layout and just deal with it. Or just try the keymap for that particular key.

I suggest looking at the post above yours. I had the same problem and I fixed it.
Pages: 1 2