PINE64

Full Version: Compiling on the Sopine Cluster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

i wanna useĀ  a rockpro64 with gentoo. Now i thought about using a sopine cluster as a compile machine. I am concerned about the eMMC/SD storages.
I doubt they survive heavy usage very long. Has anyone experience with this?

Since there is a LAN output on the clusterboard itself i thought about adding an HDD with a switch. Is it possible to reduce the usage off the sd card this way?

I really wanna try this project but have no similar experience yet with similar things.

If anyone is interested i have here a short summery what i plan to do in detail.

https://pad.stratum0.org/p/khaosgrillesS...sdayDevice

Thank you

Khaosgrille
(07-10-2018, 06:33 AM)khaosgrille Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

i wanna useĀ  a rockpro64 with gentoo. Now i thought about using a sopine cluster as a compile machine. I am concerned about the eMMC/SD storages.
I doubt they survive heavy usage very long. Has anyone experience with this?

Since there is a LAN output on the clusterboard itself i thought about adding an HDD with a switch. Is it possible to reduce the usage off the sd card this way?

I really wanna try this project but have no similar experience yet with similar things.

If anyone is interested i have here a short summery what i plan to do in detail.

https://pad.stratum0.org/p/khaosgrillesS...sdayDevice

Thank you

Khaosgrille

I wouldn't try that on SD or eMMC cards but using network I see no problem.

You could use a NAS that talks NFS and use that as storage or use node 1 with a ramdisk if your stuff isn't that big.
Didn't do any good testing because my board is connected to a 100Mbit switch but I will test node->node speed somewhere today.
Small update, I'm getting about 85MB/s on FreeBSD a.t.m. but there are still some link drop issues (you do not notice as much in traffic but are pretty damn annoying as console warning)..
Hi,

Thank you for your information. I will do some practical testing.

Greetings,
Khaosgrille