PINE64

Full Version: Should we Raid Rock64?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, can we run Raid 0 on the Rock64? My current set up is Openmediavault running on the Rock64 with a usb3 -> Sata 111 cable and a 2.5" Seagate
2 TB expansion drive. I am not sure if the Seagate Expansion Drive is known for its reliability, but the price was right. Now I am wondering about the possibility of duplicating the drive and creating a Raid 0 system to help ensure data security.

Does anyone run multiple hard drives on the rock? Do you have a raid system?
Speed of throughput is not essential as I don't have massive amounts of data, but some data integrity and security would be nice.

brian
Use btrfs, zfs, lvm, or mdadm for raid.
(btrfs, zfs can actually correct errors unlike normal raid guessing)
cryptsetup for security.
(04-02-2018, 11:17 PM)S265 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, can we run Raid 0 on the Rock64? My current set up is Openmediavault running on the Rock64 with a usb3 -> Sata 111 cable and a 2.5" Seagate
2 TB expansion drive. I am not sure if the Seagate Expansion Drive is known for its reliability, but the price was right. Now I am wondering about the possibility of duplicating the drive and creating a Raid 0 system to help ensure data security.

Does anyone run multiple hard drives on the rock? Do you have a raid system?
Speed of throughput is not essential as I don't have massive amounts of data, but some data integrity and security would be nice.

brian

Well technically it is not raid, but I have 2 8tb USB drives connected to my Rock64 running libreelec for media.
I run Rsync every night between the drives creating an almost raid 1.
The up side is that I don't have to deal with traditional software raid issues. The down side is that anything added in the last 24h could be lost.
As I can live with loosing a movie or two, I accepted that.

At the current level of development, I would not feel safe with my data spread over more than 1 drive with Raid 0.
RAID 0 is no RAID at all. I wouldn't even consider it. RAID 1 is a mirrored pair, but you only get 50% of your original space, the rest goes to redundancy. With the higher numbers and bigger sets of drives the percentage lost to redundancy keeps going down until you run into a speed penalty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID