PINE64

Full Version: How to Write an Image to the eMMC Module Tutorial
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Mark, excellent. Thank you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
(08-15-2017, 12:05 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]I also have ported ayufan's script to the rock64 -- rock64_install_to_emmc,  which further simplifies things by allowing the user to select the system and version, as well automatically generating the curl file;  very nice.

Does the script automatically interrupt the uboot timer or is it just for everything after step 6?
(08-15-2017, 02:13 PM)Lexstar Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-15-2017, 12:05 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]I also have ported ayufan's script to the rock64 -- rock64_install_to_emmc,  which further simplifies things by allowing the user to select the system and version, as well automatically generating the curl file;  very nice.

Does the script automatically interrupt the uboot timer or is it just for everything after step 6?

The script helps only after the SD is fully booted;  well, its a gnu+linux bash script, it doesn't work at boot-up.  Interrupting uboot is manual, based on the feedback received on the serial console alone.
I have updated this thread with the information from this link:

Shy
Would you see the same output from a monitor if you do not have a serial cable? I am just wondering whether you can get away with that approach.

Sent from my SM-T537V using Tapatalk
(08-16-2017, 06:32 AM)jl_678 Wrote: [ -> ]Would you see the same output from a monitor if you do not have a serial cable? I am just wondering whether you can get away with that approach.

From the guide (with emphasis):

MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: The serial console is very important because the normal display does not show boot-up messages!

Technically you could try to time it blind, but unless you already know how the boot output over serial looks you are unlikely to get it right.
Sorry, I read it too fast. Thank you.

(08-16-2017, 08:28 AM)fire219 Wrote: [ -> ]Technically you could try to time it blind, but unless you already know how the boot output over serial looks you are unlikely to get it right.

Yesterday I tried to it blind.
When I removed the jumper 3 seconds after turning on the power, writing the image succeeded.
However, this method may be dangerous. Then I will try to it by using a serial adapter (CP2104) tonight.
(08-16-2017, 11:47 PM)hirot78 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-16-2017, 08:28 AM)fire219 Wrote: [ -> ]Technically you could try to time it blind, but unless you already know how the boot output over serial looks you are unlikely to get it right.

Yesterday I tried to it blind.
When I removed the jumper 3 seconds after turning on the power, writing the image succeeded.
However, this method may be dangerous. Then I will try to it by using a serial adapter (CP2104) tonight.

Well done. It's definitely not impossible to do, it's just a bit difficult.

Also, welcome to the forums. Smile
Experienced IT guy here, but noob to SBC. I just wanted to make sure I got this right.
Do I need a serial terminal to install Android to the eMMC or just to install linux to the eMMC? (per fire219 on 08-15-2017, 02:05 PM).
If so does the CP2102 module USB to 3.3V TTL referenced in the tutorial require soldering to the rock64?
if so are their guides for it? Thanks for the support.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6