PINE64

Full Version: corrupt microsd card after reboot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The microsd card and my Pine A64 2GB becomes corrupted after a reboot, shutdown or power outage, which in turn leads to various bugs or renders the system unbootable, even after repairing the card using fsck.

Could anyone please tell me if this could be related to the microsd card brand(it is a fast Kingston model) or if it means my Pine A64 is defective and good to go to the trash can.

This problem occurs on all Pine A64 images I've tried: ubuntu, android and debian.

Thank you in advance.
Not sure if it is microSD related, but have you tried a different card to eliminate that possibility?
(02-06-2017, 01:32 PM)Ghost Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if it is microSD related, but have you tried a different card to eliminate that possibility?

Nope, I was hopping to get more clues on the issue before buying another card Confused
(02-06-2017, 02:12 PM)maxpayne Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-06-2017, 01:32 PM)Ghost Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if it is microSD related, but have you tried a different card to eliminate that possibility?

Nope, I was hopping to get more clues on the issue before buying another card Confused

Buying another microSD to test seems like a relatively cheap way of finding out whether the card is at fault or not. 

How are you shutting down the Pine? Via the software menu activated by a short press of the power button, or just by pulling out the power cord?

Incorrect shutdown procedure can lead to a card getting corrupted. MicroSD cards are very susceptible to this.

The card also needs to have good random read/write speeds. Many cards, even modern ones, are only good at linear reads and writes. This is fine for simply uploading and downloading media to and from the card, but running an operating system requires more complexity than this and so needs to be efficient when it comes to random read/write performance. Some cards just can't handle it.
(02-06-2017, 05:09 PM)Ghost Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-06-2017, 02:12 PM)maxpayne Wrote: [ -> ]

Buying another microSD to test seems like a relatively cheap way of finding out whether the card is at fault or not. 

How are you shutting down the Pine? Via the software menu activated by a short press of the power button, or just by pulling out the power cord?

Incorrect shutdown procedure can lead to a card getting corrupted. MicroSD cards are very susceptible to this.

The card also needs to have good random read/write speeds. Many cards, even modern ones, are only good at linear reads and writes. This is fine for simply uploading and downloading media to and from the card, but running an operating system requires more complexity than this and so needs to be efficient when it comes to random read/write performance. Some cards just can't handle it.

My pine64 has no power button, but any method to reboot/shut down I've used causes the microSD card to become corrupt:
sudo reboot, poweroff, shutdown -h or pulling the power cord all lead to the same issue.

Will try to buy another microSD card tomorrow to see if it makes any diference.
(02-06-2017, 06:07 PM)maxpayne Wrote: [ -> ]My pine64 has no power button, but any method to reboot/shut down I've used causes the microSD card to become corrupt:
sudo reboot, poweroff, shutdown -h or pulling the power cord all lead to the same issue.

Will try to buy another microSD card tomorrow to see if it makes any diference.

You can add a power button, but that is another topic altogether.

If you are shutting down the pine64 or rebooting via the proper commands like reboot, poweroff, shutdown -h and the microSD card is being corrupted... then it's most likely your microSD that's at fault. What distro / image are you using? Any of the linux installs using a ext2/3/4 file system are pretty robust, and are hard to completely break, even with a unexpected power outage.
Sorry for not replying sooner guys, but since I didn't find the time to buy a micro sd card yesterday, there was really not much more to add to the subject at the time.

The pine64 is now working with a slower Samsung evo card, after several reboots, poweroffs and even unplugging the power cord, longsleep's ubuntu image is still booting normally, so I guess the much faster Kingston micro SD is a no go for the pine64, too bad most brands don't provide info regarding the IOPS of their cards.

Thank a lot for the help.

PS: Is there any power button on ebay or a similar shop that fits the pine64 ? (I don't feel like paying 12$ shipping for a $0.5 button on the pine64 shop).