PINE64

Full Version: Would the SOPINE modules work if they were put into a standard SODIMM RAM slot?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yeah If I put a module of SOPINE in a standard motherboard, would it work as a processor/RAM? I'd like to put 8 of them in a server motherboardWink
(02-05-2017, 12:19 PM)Wiooooo Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah If I put a module of SOPINE in a standard motherboard, would it work as a processor/RAM? I'd like to put 8 of them in a server motherboardWink

I think not m8 (anyone correct me if im wrong)
(02-05-2017, 12:19 PM)Wiooooo Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah If I put a module of SOPINE in a standard motherboard, would it work as a processor/RAM? I'd like to put 8 of them in a server motherboardWink

No, absolutely not.

... the only thing at all similar about sopine and sodimm is the socket itself ( the hardware ).  The sopine is NOT compatible with any other hardware that uses the sodimm socket ( which is normally used for memory modules ).

The sopine is also not at all compatible with the RPi compute module;  completely different hardware, architecture, memory and PMCI.
(02-05-2017, 01:38 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]

No, absolutely not.

... the only thing at all similar about sopine and sodimm is the socket itself ( the hardware ).  The sopine is NOT compatible with any other hardware that uses the sodimm socket ( which is normally used for memory modules ).

The sopine is also not at all compatible with the RPi compute module;  completely different hardware, architecture, memory and PMCI.
Thanks, I'm kinda new to hardware, but I've done a fair amount of code so I want to get started, so would there be a way to hook up more than one of the SOPINE baseboards to each other so that the computer would have more processing power without making a cluster computer?
(02-05-2017, 02:48 PM)Wiooooo Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2017, 01:38 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]

No, absolutely not.

Thanks, I'm kinda new to hardware, but I've done a fair amount of code so I want to get started, so would there be a way to hook up more than one of the SOPINE baseboards to each other so that the computer would have more processing power without making a cluster computer?

Yes, but you might want to wait on that;  tllim indicates some time ago that they are producing a commercial product that will take multiple sopine modules ( I think up to seven ).  Stay tuned.