PINE64

Full Version: pine64 a piece of work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
just need to vent. have spent so many hours futzsing around with it. seriously hate this device. android on it has always been unstable for me. memory card fine. power supply fine. & buggy buggy buggy, constant crashes. always slow. always.

thanks, sure the mods can delete this as it contributes nothing. just had to vent. seriously what a piece of work. and the blasted images, what moron made them that way so they're more sectors than 90% of people's cards out there, so you can either futsz around with trying to resize a partition or you lose half your space by going to the image one size smaller. what a borked execution that is.. let alone the stability/reliability. sure it was $30 or so but what a cruddy card. it's like buying edison's first lightbulb, it lasts for 5hrs or some thing like that...

seriously this device could blow up. does anyone have a reliably stable, functional, non-hanging experience with it?
hi welcome,

... many of us have several reliable stable uses for this sbc... personally, my debian pine board has been my primary desk PC since early summer;  my ubuntu pine board has been my primary home server for most of the summer and this fall. 

I have two Android units (same board) playbox (my own design cb&dt) and my playdesk;  all of my systems are used as hardware and software development boards and test units. (I'm specifically testing hardware applications in automation and control, and software apps for GPIO and comm support)

I have an LED lab running on one unit, gps on all three, and beginning today I'm integrating the Padi Stamp into my ubuntu server giving it an access point , additional wifi connect and several extra GPIO pins.

------------------------

If you want to use your pine board for video please use ayufan's Android 7 image. It works, its stable, and it has some extra features that the sunxi builds do not. 

If you want to use your pine boards as computers, please use either ubuntu base or debian mate images.

You are welcome to express your viewpoint here;  but, please tone down the explictives because we have younger people on here too ( I took liberties with that on your first post, while maintaining its generally negative tone and comment ).

Ranting for the sake of ranting is spam and will be deleted if there is no point to the post . If you want help getting running we'll be happy to help you live-- please visit us on the irc chat room see below.
(10-27-2016, 10:26 PM)water Wrote: [ -> ]thanks, sure the mods can delete this as it contributes nothing. just had to vent.
seriously this device could blow up. does anyone have a reliably stable, functional, non-hanging experience with it?

Nope, I'm not deleting this... everyone has a right to their opinion... you're not forcing me to agree with your or anything! And I'm sure you're feeling much better now that you've gotten all that out! Angel

However, to answer your question, I can say that after the first few hurdles (mainly due to non-existent documentation, a situation that has been slowly improving), I haven't had any major stability issues. I've tried the different linux and android builds (bar the latest Android 7.0 series), and the biggest issue I've had is the broken dependency tree in the debian mate builds. The android 5.1.1 build seemed stable, but I wasn't interested in using the pine64 as a android box, so don't use it often.

Try ayufans Android 7.0 build if you haven't already - among other things, it has a smaller initial image size, and IIRC auto-expands to fill your card, so the bloated image size problem won't affect you there.
(10-27-2016, 10:26 PM)water Wrote: [ -> ]just need to vent. have spent so many hours futzsing around with it. seriously hate this device. android on it has always been unstable for me. memory card fine. power supply fine. & buggy buggy buggy, constant crashes. always slow. always.

thanks, sure the mods can delete this as it contributes nothing. just had to vent. seriously what a piece of work. and the blasted images, what moron made them that way so they're more sectors than 90% of people's cards out there, so you can either futsz around with trying to resize a partition or you lose half your space by going to the image one size smaller. what a borked execution that is.. let alone the stability/reliability. sure it was $30 or so but what a cruddy card. it's like buying edison's first lightbulb, it lasts for 5hrs or some thing like that...

I use mine almost every day, very odd crushes now and then, it works well. I watch Youtube on it, TV with it, no problems. Just the sound started to crackle recently I think the sound card may be.!? Or else it is a wonderful device.

Return it to base to change, it could be an odd one you received.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hmmm...guess I'll have to give Android 7 a try to see how it compares to RemixOS. As for stability, I got no complaints about the Debian Mate install. Not had an issue with it yet.