PINE64

Full Version: "failed to start simple desktop display manager" PinePhonePro / Plasma Beta15 RC4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a "recent" version of the PinePhonePro (i.e. - there is no RE button.)

Tow-Boot was pre-installed and seems to be working fine.

I don't know what's flashed on the eMMC in the factory, but when I tried to update it, replaced pacman pgp signatures with HTML advertisements for domains for sale (that's a new one.)

But I deleted the .sigs and updated through discovery.

I then got some sort of error on boot, but couldn't quite make it out because I couldn't turn on the backlight.  But the system didn't boot to a graphical screen.

I then downloaded Manjaro-ARM-plasma-mobile-pinephonepro-beta15-rc4.img.xz from https://github.com/manjaro-pinephone/pla...e/releases

Flashed it to eMMC using tow-boot and rebooted.

Other than it setting the backlight to zero on boot, everything was fine. screen worked. audio worked. wifi worked. i was able to activate sshd via systemctl.  I was completely happy.

But I did want to add software and update the device.

So...

sudo rm -r /etc/pacman.d/gnupg
sudo pacman-mirrors --geoip
sudo pacman -Sy gnupg archlinux-keyring archlinuxarm-keyring manjaro-keyring manjaro-arm-keyring
sudo pacman-key --init
sudo pacman-key --populate
sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys
sudo pacman -Sc

and then

sudo pacman -Syyuu

and it downloaded about 900Mb of new packages.  But now when I reboot, it hang w/ a message "failed to start simple desktop display manager" (I figured out that you set the screen dim timeout to never or some large value to avoid having the screen super-dim when it reboots.)

is this the expected behaviour?  are we just not supposed to update?  anyone have references to pages describing how to fix this?
I would install Mobian. The mention of ...blk0... should be ...blk1... .

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebian...nePhonePro