PINE64

Full Version: Android (android_dd_20160112) first impressions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey Folks, 
I received the development board, so I can share some experience thus far, if you have any questions, want me to run some tests let me know. 

First of all the board is pretty big - if you are used to raspberry pi, think twice the size (check the photo for the size comparison). Personally I don't mind, but you may say whoa this is big Wink
https://www.anony.ws/image/Jt6t
For the numbers fans: Antutu: final score: 23467
If you compare that to Amlogic or Rockchip
http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/11/19/a...omparison/
it seems to lag behind, on the other hand, Pine has no heatsink and I noticed very significant throttling when temperatures reached 120F. 
If you want better performance heatsink is a must. 
CPU-Z report available at valid.x86.fr/a/khq0ec
The standard range of apps work just fine, I had few crashes with app store installing antutu 3d, I guess there are some quirks of android that need to be worked out. 
Netflix running at 1080p gets the temperature of the core (measured with the outside thermometer) to 110F.
KillAWatt EZ (the wall power meter) shows 4.8-5.2W while running Netflix. 

Audio goes through HDMI unless you plug headphones. 
Board shows great potential for whatever you will want to use it, game console / tv box, ARMv8 development machine. It needs some loving, but hey for 19/29$ you can't go wrong.
Hi janjwerner,

thanks for these information!

I've a few questions to you.
- Is it possible to install the XPOSED Framework?
- Does a recovery System (like TWRP, CWM or anything else) exist?

Best regards
Julian
Hey Julian,
I will try XPOSED Framwork, however last time I check I had no root on the board, so that will be the first thing to take care of Smile
Board has U-Boot bootloader with Allwinners modifications, I believe that first someone will need to get this sorted out, then TWRP/CWM will be possible.
Hi,

Did you try to setup RemixOS?

So you are telling that I need a heatsink if I plan to use the Pine as a game center?
Since there is no spot to place it, how can I do?

Which one of your usb is the power supplier?

Did you buy a PINE64 UL approved 5V 2A International Kit power Supply?
Haven't tried the RemixOS yet. The day job got busier and I had to put the Pine on the backburner.
There are heatsinks with adhesive - that would be probably the easiest solution. I talked with Tl and suggested that they offer heatsink through backerkit. If there is nothing avaialble directly from Pine - ebay is your friend Wink
I use 5V 2A power supply from adafruit that I used before for other projects.
cheers
Remix OS currently still in porting process by their engineers located in Beijing. However, China now starts entering in Chinese New Year period and there will no productivity for three weeks time. Hopefully we will get the Remix OS available on end of February.  The Pine A64 hardware shares similar commonality with their Remix Mini box.
... TL Lim
I have installed a lot of apps (it was hard because Google Play is unstable) and set up my system so I would be happy if I wouldn't have to reinstall Android if a new update comes out and I could use the built-in updater. Please make it possible for us!
I have noticed another bug: sometimes (maybe if the board gets hotter) Android just starts automatically volume up the system.
And sometimes the system just stops an app, restarts and can be really slow. These can be caused because of the heat problems and the beta system I think. I hope they will be fixed in the future.
Are you sure Netflix is running at 1080P? I would think it is running at 480P.
'll try to write down my thoughts about android right now, hopefully to be reviewed on next release:
- Its still kind of laggy.
- Its only me or we have no way to turn off the board, other than cut the power?
- Googleplay seems to hang sometimes
- even android idle gets the board very hot, maybe only its the first starts, doing something?
- kind of unstable wifi? Maybe i tested it little time but it failed sometimes and reconnected again on its own.

I'll try to add things as i discover them...

BR
Drag00n
Hey guys,

Have any of you tried RemixOS on the PINE64 yet? I'm asking because I'm planning to buy a PINE64 and install RemixOS on it. Therefore I have no clue (yet) on how to go about doing things with the PINE64.

How hard is it to get an OS installed on the PINE64? Are there any tutorials online?

Thanks guys,
-Rowan
Pages: 1 2 3