PINE64

Full Version: PinePhone can't make outbound calls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am new on this forum and new to the pine phone and I hope I can learn a lot from this so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong area but it might be the only forum that can help. 

I purchased the pine phone and finally got it about a month ago and I folled the instructions and decided that my flavor of Linux would be ubuntu touch, although if debian would behave I would have wanted that. So I flashed the eMMC with Ubuntu Touch and purchased Mint mobile for ~3 month to test it out. I inserted the sim and it did not work right away so I played with the settings and finally got the APN settings to work for the most part but the problem that I have now is that it will not make outbound calls. Reciving calls is fine and I can hear the other person on the line, but making calls is a no go it says that it is unavaliable and then just quits the call. 

I am hoping that posting here will give me some hints but maybe what I am really asking for is where I can find error logs for such things and how to solve it myself maybe? I know that the APN settings try not to save as internet and MMS but not entirely not sure as to why. 

Thanks to anyone that helps out I appreciate you Smile
(04-08-2021, 10:54 AM)rocketchik24 Wrote: [ -> ]I am new on this forum and new to the pine phone and I hope I can learn a lot
Welcome, and hopefully you enjoy the journey.

(04-08-2021, 10:54 AM)rocketchik24 Wrote: [ -> ]...
I am hoping that posting here will give me some hints but maybe what I am really asking for is where I can find error logs for such thing
Try opening a terminal window and typing the command
Code:
journalctl -f
which will show the last few lines of the system journal and will carry on running and show any new entries as they are added.

Then again I have no idea if Ubuntu Touch is systemd based: in any event I would recommend you flash the latest version of Mobian onto an SDcard and try that. I do it every couple of weeks and it just works for me: the point of this suggestion is to check you don't have some weird phone/SIM/provider glitch. (Or you could try Arch - again I flash it every couple of weeks and calls just work. Both Mobian & Arch are phosh based, unlike UT IIRC. UT uses ofono for plain old telephony and that may be troublesome in your environment.)
Sorry if my format for the reply is off, I am young and not used to a format like this. I posted this question in mutiple places and I am hearing that mobian is I guess the way to go but when I loaded it up on an SD it was 100% more buggy that the ubuntu touch but the ubuntu touch also got better for some reason with time and a few reboots. It would be journalctl wouldn't it. I am a linux person and should have figured that out. Thank you for your response. 

I am going to install mobian which is the OS I wanted anyways and go from there when I get time.

Code:
journalctl -f

Gives a return of "No journal files were found." Which indicates that journalctl works but there was nothing in the journal to be found?
(04-11-2021, 01:48 PM)rocketchik24 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry if my format for the reply is off, I am young and not used to a format like this. I posted this question in mutiple places and I am hearing that mobian is I guess the way to go but when I loaded it up on an SD it was 100% more buggy that the ubuntu touch but the ubuntu touch also got better for some reason with time and a few reboots. It would be journalctl wouldn't it. I am a linux person and should have figured that out. Thank you for your response. 

I am going to install mobian which is the OS I wanted anyways and go from there when I get time.

I recommend Mobian because
1) It works for me
2) As far as I read here it is the most usable for basic phone(/sms/data) functions out of the box.

It really isn't normally buggy - I can boot Mobian and use my phone and computer functions (browsing etc) for a week or more without any crash (at least of the kernel - occasionally phosh but that just requires another login.) So if you are having troubles I would repeat the flash and/or download etc to get rid of corruptions. Bear in mind you should use a decent SDcard for a decent experience - I use Samsung Evo+. Class 10 is just fine - the real key is to get a card with fast read/write of small random files. Also, to avoid complications until you have a better feel for what is normal, I would avoid the Full Disk Encrypted version of Mobian.

Dunnoh why your journal is empty - you may need to try a sudo in front. (Or sort out your user membership of adm group?) Of course you can check dmesg but that tends only to have pretty high level system messages.