PINE64

Full Version: Mail server setup help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm a little embarrassed this has stumped me. I've never set up a mail server before, though and I'm having some trouble. I don't want a full mail server at this point, I just want to send outbound notifications to myself, so I'm not linking this to a valid domain name.

First, I installed postfix , since that seemed to be the consensus as the best option. And.... that's where I'm stumped. The mail command just hangs when I try to send a test message to my Gmail account, and I'm sure I need to set up some parameters in the /etc/postfix/main.cf config file but I'm struggling to figure it out what exactly.

I've looked at this, but I'm not really seeing an answer there. Also, I should add that it appears postfix is running OK:

Code:
inetv@pine64pro:~$ sudo systemctl status postfix
postfix.service - LSB: Postfix Mail Transport Agent
 Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/postfix)
Drop-In: /run/systemd/generator/postfix.service.d
         └─50-postfix-$mail-transport-agent.conf
 Active: active (running) since Sun 2016-05-29 11:41:07 UT
ago
Process: 1851 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/postfix start (code=ex
tus=0/SUCCESS)
 CGroup: /system.slice/postfix.service
         ├─2092 /usr/lib/postfix/master
         ├─2093 pickup -l -t unix -u -c
         └─2094 qmgr -l -t unix -u

ay 29 11:41:07 pine64pro postfix[1851]: Starting Postfix Ma
ay 29 11:41:07 pine64pro postfix/master[2092]: daemon start
ay 29 11:41:07 pine64pro systemd[1]: Started LSB: Postfix M
int: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

I've also installed sendmail because it didn't appear to be installed, but I still get a "command not found" error when I try to use it from the command line. mail gives no such error, but just hangs and never sends the message.

I thought this would be easy! I'm sure I'm doing some simple dumb mistake, though. Any help would be very appreciated.
if you are looking for a mail config with webmail and control panel included try the following (probably the easiest way to manage things for new users). You can also manage DNS/Hosting/MySQL.

Substitute IP addresses with your network range.

Debian Jessie (Apache)
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/perf...pconfig-3/

Ubuntu Xenial (Apache)
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/perf...ispconfig/
Actually i just want something i can call from the command line for a cronjob.
(05-29-2016, 01:43 PM)wahdooyah Wrote: [ -> ]Actually i just want something i can call from the command line for a cronjob.

Hi,

I typically use Python to send email through a Gmail account.  It is a simple and useful way to do it.  Below is a website that I just Googled that talks about it.  I have written similar code which I can share, if needed.

http://naelshiab.com/tutorial-send-email-python/
Thanks! I may have to go that route, but I was hoping to set it up to send to a .onion recipient, so I just wanted to not use a third party server.
FYI, I decided to use the scp command to update log files stored on my Android device instead of emailing notifications. Far more secure anyhow and plays well with torsocks.