PINE64

Full Version: What are the chances of getting a pine64 mini computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are the chances of getting a line64 mini arm based computer similar to Apple mini with a arm linux distro for a OS?
Assuming you mean Apple's Mac Mini line, you can pretty much already have this by getting a RockPro64 and one of those little aluminum cases for it. If you're after something with more storage options, there's the NAS case too. Both are small-footprint housings for a computer with easily enough power to be a Linux desktop.
(09-03-2020, 04:20 PM)diodelass Wrote: [ -> ]Assuming you mean Apple's Mac Mini line, you can pretty much already have this by getting a RockPro64 and one of those little aluminum cases for it. If you're after something with more storage options, there's the NAS case too. Both are small-footprint housings for a computer with easily enough power to be a Linux desktop.

Just curious, as I've been wanting to buy a RockPro64 - I've seen stories that the Rock64 is very under-powered and can't even play YouTube (apologies if it can, and does it nicely), so is the RockPro64 powered enough that you could install a full suite of OpenSUSE, say, and use it like a PC? Or would you need a smaller OS, but you'd still have enough processing power to watch videos and play emulated games?
The RockPro64 uses the exact same SoC as the PineBook Pro. So anything that runs there, can also run on the RockPro64.

I am writing this right now from my PinebookPro, and can attest that while not super fast, it is usable as a low power laptop including watching Youtube etc.
(09-04-2020, 02:10 PM)poVoq Wrote: [ -> ]The RockPro64 uses the exact same SoC as the PineBook Pro. So anything that runs there, can also run on the RockPro64.

I am writing this right now from my PinebookPro, and can attest that while not super fast, it is usable as a low power laptop including watching Youtube etc.

Thank you.