PINE64

Full Version: GPIO access running Android
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Has any progress been made getting access to the GPIO pins while running Android?
GPIO on Android does not really make any sense... how many tablets (or phones) have you seen with GPIO pins ?

... that said, there are Android apps that let you talk to your raspberry PI from your phone, tablet, to the PI GPIO pins.

The GPIO software is a work-in-progress. RPi.GPIO-PineA64 is available as a package from github/ but, i2c is not ready, nor SPI, nor pwm. So, sit tight, and be patient; some of us are working on it.

I cannot confirm who (if anyone) is working on GPIO access from Android. If so, it will be a PineA64 only kinda thingy... and probably not a high priority (as apposed to video acceleration, CEC, and so on).

marcus
Of course on a normal android device gpio is not needed or possible but on a board like the pine it would be nice.
I would be happy if it will be possible to use i2c or gpio in the future.
It would be interesting to use the gpio for ambient lighting and the likes as a media center. That said, android with gpio sounds weird. How would you even interface with the pins? Would probs only work on rooted devices any way, since it'd requirehw access. But idk.
i think that would be pretty great, for doing something such as building a wall mounted home automation controller.
could hook up temp monitors and humidity and a furnace interface, etc.
would have to probably write some custom app.
but then again, could just use openhab on linux on the pine64 to do the hardware interfacing and use an android tablet as the frontend for the wallmount.
I want to build such a home automation center. I ordered the pine board along with the touch display.
My first idea was to use android because the frontend would easy to build but now I have to use Linux I think.
This was my intention as well, and the reason I bought the pine64.

Hopefully it works in the future.
Hi guys!

On Android you can access to any interface that kernel provide! If kernel already provide gpio, uart etc. you can use it on android too. Just create App with special permissions, chmod and/or chown drivers files that you need to access.

If many people want, I can do a tutorial in near future.

Best regards,
Patryk Czarnota
Poland
(08-25-2016, 02:12 PM)neyron Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys!

On Android you can access to any interface that kernel provide! If kernel already provide gpio, uart etc. you can use it on android too. Just create App with special permissions, chmod and/or chown drivers files that you need to access.

If many people want, I can do a tutorial in near future.

Best regards,
Patryk Czarnota
Poland

I'm very much interested in doind this and wondering if anyone can give me a heads up on how to build my own android pine64 kernel with gpio access?
I was reading in the sunxi manual for gpio access, and found that the kernel option CONFIG_GPIO_SYSFS must be enabled.  I checked my Android /sys/class/ folder and found that gpio is not there;  the kernel in my Android has not been anabled for CONFIG_GPIO_SYSFS.

It should be easy to enable this option, and frankly, it should be enabled by default.

edit:  PS  I spoke with ayufan about this, and will be updating the configs for his kernel, so that the CONFIG_GPIO_SYSFS will be enabled in his kernel soon...

marcus
Pages: 1 2 3