The RTL-SDR and the Pinebook Pro
Since there is discussion of including an RTL-SDR module option in the PineTab, I've had some renewed excitement over the possibilities of doing SDR stuff on Pine devices. However, I still can't seem to get my RTL-SDR dongle to work on my Pinebook Pro. It works fine on my other computers, and I have little reason to believe that it's not receiving enough power, but even so, all I can ever get it to do is produce what appears to be a repeating loop of the first few samples it collects whenever I try to use it.

Is this a fluke that's down to some issue with my specific units (either the SDR or the Pinebook Pro), or have others had this problem as well? I'm doing my best to debug it, but the answer is still eluding me.

How about you? Have you tried using an RTL-SDR on the Pinebook Pro (or the regular Pinebook, for that matter)? How'd it go?
My USB power meter came today, and I believe I can confirm that it's not a power issue. The device draws less than 200 mA when operating in central UHF, and there's no measurable voltage droop.
I'll see if I can try building the driver from source, in case something's wrong with the one that Manjaro currently ships.
I feel silly now: I tried building the rtl-sdr driver from source (using the AUR package) and it just worked right off the bat without a hitch. It's actually running better and dropping fewer samples than it does on my Thinkpad.

All I wonder now: what happened on the Manjaro ARM end of things to make it break so thoroughly in the binary release?

Anyway, if you happen to be running up against the same issue here (the RTL-SDR emitting a short loop of junk samples instead of real signals when run on the Pinebook Pro under Manjaro), try building the rtl-sdr-git package from the AUR. Given the silence in this thread, this isn't a particularly common issue, but I hope what I found eventually helps someone else.

Guess I should submit a bug report to the Manjaro maintainer?
(05-30-2020, 09:45 AM)diodelass Wrote: I feel silly now: I tried building the rtl-sdr driver from source (using the AUR package) and it just worked right off the bat without a hitch. It's actually running better and dropping fewer samples than it does on my Thinkpad.

All I wonder now: what happened on the Manjaro ARM end of things to make it break so thoroughly in the binary release?

Anyway, if you happen to be running up against the same issue here (the RTL-SDR emitting a short loop of junk samples instead of real signals when run on the Pinebook Pro under Manjaro), try building the rtl-sdr-git package from the AUR. Given the silence in this thread, this isn't a particularly common issue, but I hope what I found eventually helps someone else.

Guess I should submit a bug report to the Manjaro maintainer?

Glad to know your RTL-SDR works now :-)
(05-30-2020, 09:45 AM)diodelass Wrote: I feel silly now: I tried building the rtl-sdr driver from source (using the AUR package) and it just worked right off the bat without a hitch. It's actually running better and dropping fewer samples than it does on my Thinkpad.

Don't feel silly... I'm grateful you've debugged the issue so I won't have it when I try SDR on mine soon! Wink Big Grin Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 229 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 179 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 0 151 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: segaloco
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 525 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 955 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 73 126,979 09-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Last Post: k3dAR
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,712 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,138 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux
  PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes dsimic 115 131,701 11-30-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Decent Pinebook Pro barrel PSU / Charger petaramesh 3 1,759 10-21-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: dachalife