Testing Crust Deep-sleep
(06-15-2020, 04:31 PM)gevrik Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 10:30 AM)Zweitaktmotor Wrote: With #48 and #49, it seems to work out of the box with amazing results.

Last night about 1am, I took the phone off the charger, checked the status about every 2 hours and even downloaded and installed #49. Now (16 hours later) I still have 40%.

When the phone is off, there is hardly any battery drain. I have not checked calls and SMS, but Wifi works immediately on wakeup and does not need to be switched on.

I am pretty sure I can make it to 24 hours without charging. That's very respectable and catches up with Android phones. Big Grin

Very weird. I'm on a fresh install of DEV 49 as well and I've got this with everything turned off (wifi/gps/bluetooth):

16:12 - 92%
19:33 - 61%
20:37 - 50%
23:17 - 35%
00:19 - 27%

So while CRUST is most def working, my battery drains a lot faster that yours it seems.

I also noticed that the battery display is "lagging" behind. When I turned it off at 92% and turned it on again 3h11m later, it took the display about 3 minutes to update the battery status from 92% to 61%. If the consumption continues like this it will be dry after about 12 hours - which doubles the battery time.

I would really like to know how you get more than 12 hours on your phone, have you tweaked the installation in any way?
I got around nine hours today on 49 using it for sms and light browser use but it seemed to get buggy as the day went on so I went back to stable until 50 releases
Update:

When I checked the phone 3 hours later, it was dead, having suddenly consumed all its 40%.

I connected it to the charger but the LED started blinking red and no charging seemed to be going on.

This made me panick a bit, thinking I might have broken my phone, but it starts fine on a card with Mobian and it is chargingon this now. Once I have a full battery, I can try and see what happened to Ubuntu.

Aren't we lucky that we can switch like this?
(06-15-2020, 08:30 PM)Zweitaktmotor Wrote: Update:

When I checked the phone 3 hours later, it was dead, having suddenly consumed all its 40%.

I connected it to the charger but the LED started blinking red and no charging seemed to be going on.

This made me panick a bit, thinking I might have broken my phone, but it starts fine on a card with Mobian and it is chargingon this now. Once I have a full battery, I can try and see what happened to Ubuntu.

Ahhh, that's what I thought.

So to summarise:

CRUST on #49 Dev does bring battery time from 6 hours to 12 hours (when idle with everything turned off), but the battery display is not reliable as it only updates every few minutes and does not update at all when the phone is in deep sleep.

P.S.: Immer wenn ich deinen Namen lese, muss ich an meine alte RD denken. Smile
Scaling is fixed in #50. Is there a way to check if crust is enabled (I mean other than just checking if battery drains quickly or not)?

Edit: Pretty sure crust is enabled.
What I noticed so far:
- Voice calls are working but no audio
- Some icons are missing (Dialer, message button etc.)
- Messaging works
(06-16-2020, 02:13 AM)Momomentum Wrote: Scaling is fixed in #50. Is there a way to check if crust is enabled (I mean other than just checking if battery drains quickly or not)?

When you connect your phone via Wifi you can find its IP address in the Wifi-Settings. Ping this addy from another machine on your network when the phone is turned on, you will see the pings going through. Now turn it off, the pings should no longer go through. If they still go through then CRUST is not enabled.

On #49 CRUST was only enabled by default on the "development" update channel.
(06-16-2020, 02:51 AM)gevrik Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 02:13 AM)Momomentum Wrote: Scaling is fixed in #50. Is there a way to check if crust is enabled (I mean other than just checking if battery drains quickly or not)?

When you connect your phone via Wifi you can find its IP address in the Wifi-Settings. Ping this addy from another machine on your network when the phone is turned on, you will see the pings going through. Now turn it off, the pings should no longer go through. If they still go through then CRUST is not enabled.

On #49 CRUST was only enabled by default on the "development" update channel.

Thanks for the hint. Checked - Crust is enabled in #50 (dev).
On #50 since yesterday. Battery life is about the same or a little better than on #49. Had 27% left after 9 hours of stand-by time. Had Wifi and GPS turned off, but Bluetooth keeps turning itself on again after turning it off and I have not found a way to keep it turned off (used to just have to turn it off and immediately reboot, but that didn't work on #50).

Apart from that the battery display would update a lot more often than on #49 and I have experienced all the issues that we've had since #47.

P.S.: Zweitaktmotor, you have PMs turned off, so I can't reply. Smile
(06-17-2020, 01:31 AM)gevrik Wrote: On #50 since yesterday. Battery life is about the same or a little better than on #49. Had 27% left after 9 hours of stand-by time. Had Wifi and GPS turned off, but Bluetooth keeps turning itself on again after turning it off and I have not found a way to keep it turned off (used to just have to turn it off and immediately reboot, but that didn't work on #50).

Apart from that the battery display would update a lot more often than on #49 and I have experienced all the issues that we've had since #47.

P.S.: Zweitaktmotor, you have PMs turned off, so I can't reply. Smile

For me it works to just go to terminal and issue
Code:
rfkill list         # Get bluethooth identifier
sudo rfkill block 1 # Soft block device
(06-17-2020, 01:47 AM)Momomentum Wrote: For me it works to just go to terminal and issue
Code:
rfkill list         # Get bluethooth identifier
sudo rfkill block 1 # Soft block device

Cheers, mate. The shell script collection on the phone is growing. Smile

Edit: It looks like it remembers the soft block even after reboot.
(06-15-2020, 08:30 PM)Zweitaktmotor Wrote: Update:

Did you find a solution for the blinking red light? This always happens to me and I have to either reflash Ubuntu, remove the sd card or flash another OS.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Testing GPS Luke 54 79,202 03-03-2022, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Fred Zyphal
  Is there any way to tell CRUST to leave the wifi alone? Athansor 5 7,702 09-25-2020, 04:46 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Crust stopping clock? Zweitaktmotor 3 4,587 07-24-2020, 06:26 PM
Last Post: tiago
  Testing and Donating jmasters 2 4,108 06-30-2020, 11:32 PM
Last Post: jmasters