Pinebook Pro & PinePhone shipping progress (2020)
(06-18-2020, 10:59 AM)daniel Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 03:38 AM)wils91 Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 09:13 PM)nathanielwheeler Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 05:33 PM)wils91 Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 02:20 PM)nathanielwheeler Wrote: Just got my Pinebook Pro in, multiple days ahead of schedule!  The only thing that has so far upset me with it is that it is installed with Debian/MATE, when I was really excited for pre-installed KDE Manjaro.

i thought that manjaro was promised when the order was make.. another screw up by the factory after stringent QC?

so sad to hear this ..

I thought this was the case as well. I'm afraid I haven't been having the easiest time installing Manjaro myself either.  There isn't a real bootloader, not an interactive one anyway, and it prefers microSD card installation and won't recognize a USB image unless it's perfectly formatted.  I'm going through the frustrating process of erasing my raspbian OS from my only microSD and installing the recommended image on it.

Oh, and don't even try the Pine64 installer, it hasn't been updated in 2 years, and the Manjaro KDE URL hasn't even been updated within it.

This sucks.
I think @Luke might wanna explain this?

Please don't try to come up with something like its open software, the fun is doing it yourself.. I mean we have been very tolerant with the delayed delivery so that you guys can get your issue solved but looks like the issue is still not solved completely, I'm keeping my fingers cross as I haven't received my device yet.

Are you paying the workers at the factory so that they can sleep on their job?

And yes I'm a consumer, I pay for my device I expect it to be how it was promised when I placed my order.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
Hi

I might be wrong, but my thinking is completely the opposite than yours. From my point of view this is not a phone for end  users where you get your phone, you plug your SIM and use it as any other phone. I think this is still in development and it is offered to users who believe that a linux phone is possible. Probably this is why it is soooo cheap. You are not paying $700 for it. You are paying what I believe is production cost. Things may fail in this phone and the community is there to fix it.

I really do not understand users who are complaining about dates. Same flexibility we should have towards the software/hardware and potential bugs, we should have for the shipping, etc this is such a  novel experience we should be happy to be part of it.

I do not want to offend anyone (as I  apparently  did before), but if someone want a phone that you can get tomorrow, fully functional, and having the response of a big corporation, the stores are full of these phones.

Alternative, Librem5 (?) offers a completely functional Linux  phone for $700->$1000 and I think I saw it takes 6 months to ship...

Please  do not complain on the workers in the factory. They are workers, get salary for the hours  they work, why complain about them?  Please lets respect their work,  don't treat them like this.

thanks, and please no one gets offended...
You do understand that what I mean by "when I pay for the product, I expect what was promised" right?

If the manjaro is promised to be shipped and installed, it should be shipped and installed and by that I mean when I press the power button I should see manjaro and not go into some kind of upgrader or even to download the OS myself.

Than what for pay and wait so long for pinebook? Might as well just get all the individual parts and than set one up myself?

Regarding the workers, so you expect them to sleep on their job and just let it go when the product produce is far from what was promised?

Hello you are not even reading what me and the guy earlier was talking about and you jump on and start typing away. Please use some sense if you wanna rebut, rebut on the right products.

No, I'm not angry, I'm just very very angry.

We have given them enough time and delayed shippings to rectify issues, I do expect to receive the product as a "perfect" one without such "mistake"

You don't see me complaining at the first 3 delays and now users feed back on such issue you sweep it off. I think that's not facing reality.

And it's the fourth day since shipment, no updates on the progress of shipment for pinebook pro and I still have not received anything from DHL.

My country is 4h away from Hong Kong by flight, I wonder if my shipment is being send to North Pole and back to me.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
@wils91 I could understand your anger and attitude if you had no idea going into this that it's basically an alpha quality product, that it's sold at cost, and that it's intended for those willing to tinker and accept bugs and flaws out of the box in exchange for being part of a brave new world of Linux-first ARM consumer devices. However, looking at your past posts, you seemed to be fully aware of what you were getting into, and at the very first sign that this wasn't the patented Amazon Prime big corporate retail experience, you became angry and resentful towards the project. I honestly don't think this is the right product for you; your expectations were in the clouds while Pine64 is just getting off the ground with this project. 

I hope you don't think I'm attacking you here, I'm not; just making an observation that if you expect a fully polished and bug-free product, there are multiple channels for that experience. Belittling and berating Pine64 and its customers for something out of their control is not only counterproductive, it's bordering on petulant.
Not looking for drama, just looking for an update to see if any phones actually shipped out today. Thanks!
OP post updated.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(06-18-2020, 02:23 PM)kaidenshi Wrote: @wils91 I could understand your anger and attitude if you had no idea going into this that it's basically an alpha quality product, that it's sold at cost, and that it's intended for those willing to tinker and accept bugs and flaws out of the box in exchange for being part of a brave new world of Linux-first ARM consumer devices. However, looking at your past posts, you seemed to be fully aware of what you were getting into, and at the very first sign that this wasn't the patented Amazon Prime big corporate retail experience, you became angry and resentful towards the project. I honestly don't think this is the right product for you; your expectations were in the clouds while Pine64 is just getting off the ground with this project. 

I hope you don't think I'm attacking you here, I'm not; just making an observation that if you expect a fully polished and bug-free product, there are multiple channels for that experience. Belittling and berating Pine64 and its customers for something out of their control is not only counterproductive, it's bordering on petulant.

i'm well aware of open source and that there needs to debug here and there
reading from @nathanielwheeler post , the fix is not just a "minior" fix
manjaro is not being installed on the pinebook when it was promised that the pinebook will come with manjaro

i quote " The Pinebook Pro you know with the operating system you love
We’re excited and proud to announce that the next Pinebook Pro production run will ship with Manjaro KDE Edition. " 

from the advertisement by pine team

my expectations in the cloud?

i quote @Luke june updates

" The Pinebook Pro shipments have been put on halt since additional and more stringent QA of the devices is now underway. This follows an abnormal amount of issues reported from the first two shipments. I feel like I owe you an explanation, so here it goes: the higher-than-normal number of Pinebook Pro issues reported is, by and large, a case of the factory not doing their job properly. A cascading number of events underpin this situation, and I won’t get into all the details, but the starting point of these issues is the COVID19 pandemic, which effectively prevented us overseeing the work done at the factory.

We have now taken steps to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Factory workers have been better instructed on how to perform some of the error-prone tasks, the factory has agreed to improve their QA protocols and we’ve set up an independent review of the laptops as they leave the factory. Regardless, I am now happy to let you all know that the remaining Pinebook Pro laptops will clear our warehouse this week and that shipping resumes today. This means that the grand majority of those still waiting for their Pinebook Pro will have their units by late-next week. I’d like to apologize once more to everyone who received a faulty unit – we’re working as fast as we can to resolve reported problems. "

so after all the stringent and improved QA there are still a lack of BASIC expectations 

and well if you insist that you are attacking , it's fine you know well yourself if you are attacking . 
if your conscious is clear you don't even need a disclaimer 

and if i added that i'm not attacking as the last sentence of my previous 2 post , will you believe?

(06-18-2020, 03:35 PM)Luke Wrote: OP post updated.

@Luke 

will you come out to clarify that having manjaro installed on the pinebook pro is a standard thing as advertised or is it a non-essential ? 

can i have the expectation that manjaro will be installed when i power up my device upon received?
(06-18-2020, 02:23 PM)kaidenshi Wrote: @wils91 I could understand your anger and attitude if you had no idea going into this that it's basically an alpha quality product...

At this point, it should be pretty obvious that a lot of people did not expect PBP's to be an alpha quality product, at least not when it comes to hardware, quality control, and warranty support (even if it's only 30 days).

I'm sure most people did expect to see some software bugs, given the fact that developing ARM-versions of various Linux distributions is a community effort. These bugs wouldn't be Pine64's fault, given that they're in the business of making hardware, not software. But it seems there aren't many complaints about software bugs...

There are however numerous complaints about faulty hardware, constantly shifting shipping dates, non-existent tech support... You know, the areas which hardware manufacturers can and should control. And it seems Pine64 managed to fail in all of these areas pretty much at the same time.

@Luke 

will you come out to clarify that having manjaro installed on the pinebook pro is a standard thing as advertised or is it a non-essential ? 

can i have the expectation that manjaro will be installed when i power up my device upon received?
@Luke thx you sire
(06-18-2020, 03:44 PM)Jazzband Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 02:23 PM)kaidenshi Wrote: @wils91 I could understand your anger and attitude if you had no idea going into this that it's basically an alpha quality product...

At this point, it should be pretty obvious that a lot of people did not expect PBP's to be an alpha quality product, at least not when it comes to hardware, quality control, and warranty support (even if it's only 30 days).

I'm sure most people did expect to see some software bugs, given the fact that developing ARM-versions of various Linux distributions is a community effort. These bugs wouldn't be Pine64's fault, given that they're in the business of making hardware, not software. But it seems there aren't many complaints about software bugs...

There are however numerous complaints about faulty hardware, constantly shifting shipping dates, non-existent tech support... You know, the areas which hardware manufacturers can and should control. And it seems Pine64 managed to fail in all of these areas pretty much at the same time.

according to the our lovely member above , every fault that comes with it you got to fix it yourself , pine team have no wrong, factory workers have no wrong , you cannot expect a "perfect" device from open source , you need to do all the tinker on your own with the support of pine64 community.
(06-18-2020, 03:44 PM)wils91 Wrote:

@Luke 

Yes, you absolutely should have received a unit with Manjaro preinstalled. I have believe that during QA your original PBP was deemed somehow faulty or not up-to the standard and exchanged for one kept in storage (we keep a handful of units for RMA from each production). Those units were not flashed with Manjaro however, as they were produced previously - in January if memory serves me right.

As for resolving the situation: Manjaro offers an installer that will allow you to flash their default OS image to eMMC using a SD card in a matter of minutes - link

If you require assistance with this process, please join the chats and someone will walk you though the required steps. Alternatively, you're welcome to join Manjaro ARM forums and submit your query there.

Apologies for the situation.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shipping Update and Stock Availability Thread Luke 87 88,303 03-05-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: maos
  PinePhone Keyboard update [April 24/04] Luke 73 106,651 08-12-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: kat22
  The PinePhone keyboard and cases are here! Luke 11 10,161 03-11-2022, 07:16 AM
Last Post: nontrivial
  PinePhone community poll results Luke 2 3,691 02-01-2022, 04:03 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition is now available Luke 1 3,186 01-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: zer0sig
  PinePhone BE & Pinebook Pro shipping update thread Luke 136 164,809 06-04-2021, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Luke
  PinePhone Mobian CE shipping update thread Luke 59 79,803 04-25-2021, 12:57 PM
  PinePhone BETA Edition pre-orders start March 24 Luke 2 6,003 04-23-2021, 09:25 PM
Last Post: ryo
  PinePhone KDE Community Edition shipping update thread. Luke 135 174,641 04-11-2021, 01:47 PM
  Manjaro Community Edition Shipping thread Luke 122 145,667 01-28-2021, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Muad