Manjaro ARM 20.04
Well, in manjaro I would try down-grading the wifi firmware, I am still on 2020.01-1,
seems to work OK (ap6256-firmware) If it doesn't work out, just upgrade again
As to armbian, you could try the other version, with 4.4 kernel, maybe it is better for sound
Since you didn't mention, I assume wifi was OK with fedora, armbian?
Sorry, don't know commands for down-grading
(10-04-2020, 11:15 PM)wdt Wrote: Well, in manjaro I would try down-grading the wifi firmware, I am still on 2020.01-1,
seems to work OK  (ap6256-firmware)  If it doesn't work out, just upgrade again
As to armbian, you could try the other version, with 4.4 kernel, maybe it is better for sound
Since you didn't mention, I assume wifi was OK with fedora, armbian?
Sorry, don't know commands for down-grading

Ok, I will try downgrading the firmware; at the same time I am considering to settle down to Manjaro Sway at this stage since it seems not having the problem.

I tried Armbian with legacy 4.4 kernel; I couldn't boot it and I ended up looking at a blank screen for 5 minutes. Too bad Armbian does not do well with the sound; otherwise, it is what I have been looking for.

Yes, wifi is ok with both fedora and armbian. However, they both show sound problems. Fedora 33 is coming next month; I will likely try it out to see if the problem persists.
>I tried Armbian with legacy 4.4 kernel; I couldn't boot it and I ended up looking at a blank screen for 5 minutes.

To check if it has booted, and you may or may not have video issues,,
press capslock,, does led light?,,again, led go out? And same for numlock
If leds toogle like they should, probably booted, try a vt (C-A-F3)
Then, alter video drivers
Partly, the reason I write, I had no problem booting armbian 4.4.213 ,, Debian based
You may not have same version OR there my be a uboot incompatibility
image: Armbian_20.05.2_Pinebook-pro_buster_legacy_4.4.213_desktop.img.xz
--edit--
and some more experience, with armbian, not at all good
Tonight, I thought, I should revisit, well I got 1 black screen and 5-6 hard locks, no boots
--another edit--
And this was all my screw-up, disregard above line
and when I did it right, all 3 gave black screen, but I know with mrfixit on emmc 2 of them booted,
so ? bad uboot on armbian??
--sorry about hi-jacking this thread--
more tests, all of 3 images (armbian) using its own uboot gave black screen
changing uboot to bsp (mrfix, pcm) always gave hard lock (and I don't know why all 3)
samueldr displaying uboot works, 1 in 5,, (5.8.11, 5.8.13)
Thank you for sharing your experience with Armbian. I decide to fix my operating system of choice as Manjaro Sway edition. It has the least of the problems among others: my bluetooth headset not working and some of the terminal based programs, eg neovim, R etc, are not launching from Wofi. Otherwise everything is good including Chromium Widevine...

I will keep an eye on fedora XFCE and I will test it when 33 is released. I think Fedora has been the second least problematic linux os after Manjaro Sway: sometimes fedora doesn't boot from micro sd and I end up booting to default manjaro kde on the flash emmc, also the sound interface problem. Bluetooth and wifi are working perfectly with Fedora XFCE as of now.

I guess I can learn about Manjaro and Sway wm in the meantime. If I could fix the Manjaro sway problems, I am good with using sway as my main productivity environment.

I am sorry that Manjaro XFCE doesn't work well. I am very disappointed with Manjaro KDE. Manjaro Sway works much better on my Pinebook Pro.
I've had a similar sound problem with the same version of Armbian. Playing around with sound devices & volume control eventually caused a spontaneous crash & restart. I'll keep an eye out for any new release of this OS.
do rolling updates ever work for you guys? I've been struggling for a few months, letting updates run always breaks something or other.
very Windows-like
latest update messes up microphone input
Have a new PBPro, default Manjaro, updated.  It periodically throws away my whole session and starts from scratch when I open the screen lid?  It's not a great situation to have to resatrt my session when I pull it out at any given meeting.
@vandys Please don't necro-bump. For help with Manjaro, create a topic on the official Manjaro Forum instead.
Sorry, I just try to find a matching topic then comment.  The Manjaro forum is every kind of ARM under the sun, including PinePhone, PI's, ...?  Maybe my issue is already there, but I ran out of patience after looking at a couple hundred issues.  Note I was asking if something else was more reliable, thus didn't want it necesasrily in the Manjaro-only forum.  But whatever.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 166 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,605 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 213 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,912 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 291 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Manjaro ARM: enabling external monitors & fixing Broadcom WiFi after updating trifleneurotic 2 746 11-14-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: trifleneurotic
  Manjaro [ARM Stable Update] 2021-07-23 issues Bocanila 1 1,913 08-21-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  [Manjaro] u-boot won't boot from eMMC with (unbootable) SD card present zackw 1 1,853 08-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  Manjaro - HIbernate - brcmfmac clk issue pompeyPinePro 1 709 08-18-2023, 02:06 AM
Last Post: juliamenendez