Manjaro ARM 20.04
(07-22-2020, 03:54 PM)wdt Wrote: I knew that I should wait on the update, now I only have sddm and, luckily, a vt
But I still have no X, enter my password, and nothing happens
Partly my fault, the update is so slow, went to sleep and would not wake
So, after an hour hard power off. Since the db would not open, eventually deleted lock file
The error msg could be better. Tried to finish update, no wifi (all in vt)
The usual nmcli wouldn't work, had to do "nmcli con up <ap name> -a"
A systemd thing I think.  So, after update finished, still same,,
sddm won't do anything after password, there is vt access (all buttons in sddm functional)
journald is not all that helpfull
Suggestions?
Solved,, startplasma-* and xsessions/plasma.desktop zero size
reinstall of plasma-workspace was needed
Not sure how this package slipped thru the checksum

Dear wdt - how do I reinstall the plasma workspace? I trashed kde (long story but it fell to pieces after I uninstalled the corrupt update for breeze) - most of it is still there (eg graphical login screen) but bits are missing. The usb install gives me a blank screen so I can't try a fresh installation.

Many thanks - Alex
pamac has a command line reinstall, it also is the gui, when you click
the package needing reinstallation there are remove and reinstall buttons
You could switch to a vt and start networking, then install xfce or icewm or .....
From a terminal some of these have start*, startxfce?, startlxde and so on
Some you have to know, openbox, openbox-session, icewm
All these (when installed) in /usr/bin
With networking functional, pacman works, that's how you install another wm
man pacman for info (in yet another vt)
There is a drop down box in sddm to choose wm, usually upper right
I am assuming you know about virtual terminals and how to switch?
Managed to get things working: by switching the SD card: no idea why this has worked but it has. The PBP is now working on all cylinders. Thank goodness! Thanks for taking time to think about this.
(06-13-2020, 04:53 AM)spikerguy Wrote:
(06-12-2020, 02:07 AM)q4osteam Wrote: @spikerguy
The u-boot that ships with Manjaro seems to make it impossible to boot certain OSes from either SD or USB, namely the Armbian, Q4OS, Chromium 79 build, and perhaps some more. Attempting to boot those OSes only resulted in a backlight black screen, whereas users who have a different OS installed on their EMMC seem to be able to boot these OSes just fine. See https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...5#pid66515

Do you know what is the reason and how to fix that ?
Hello @q4osteam 

We are using mainline uboot while most of the other distro are using bsp uboot. 

We have a list of distros which have problem in booting. I will share the link and the method to fix it.

Here : https://gitlab.manjaro.org/snippets/490

Thanks for sharing the link with the workaround.  I'm trying to follow the workaround but I'm afraid I'm stuck.  I ran into this same issue after installing the KDE image version of 20.04 on my emmc.  However, while the instructions on the link above show that Manjaro ARM 20.02+ works, I'm not able to boot from an SD card with images of Manjaro 20.04 XFCE.  The workaround instructions say:
Quote:
  1. On the SD card, open up the root partition and go to /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf.
  2. Add the following to the APPEND line:
    console=ttyS2,1500000 video=eDP-1:1920x1080@60 video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60
  3. Save the file and put the SD card into the Pinebook Pro and boot.

On the XFCE boot SD card the ROOT partition has a folder named "boot" that is empty.   However, the BOOT partition has a folder "extlinux" with a file "extlinux.conf".  I assume that is the file I need to edit, and its contents are:

Quote:LABEL Manjaro ARM
KERNEL ../Image
FDT ../dtbs/rockchip/rk3399-pinebook-pro.dtb
APPEND initrd=../initramfs-linux.img console=tty1 root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO rw rootwait video=eDP-1:1920x1080@60 video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60 bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash-themes/manjaro/bootsplash

I modified the APPEND line to:

Quote:APPEND initrd=../initramfs-linux.img console=tty1 root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO rw rootwait video=eDP-1:1920x1080@60 video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60 bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash-themes/manjaro/bootsplash console=ttyS2,1500000 video=eDP-1:1920x1080@60 video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60

However, this didn't resolve the issue so I'm guessing I have missed something.  Am I editing the wrong file?  Or do I have the right file but made the wrong edit?
I figured out an admittedly ugly workaround to the problem of not being able to boot from an SD image once the EMMC was running Manjaro 2.04.  I was able to get the system to boot from a Manjaro 2.02  SD card image.  From there I knew I could install gparted and blow away the partitions on the EMMC drive.  After doing this I still had intermittent problems getting SD images to boot, but I was finally able to boot to the emmc installer image for the version of Manjaro that I wanted (XFCE 2.04, moving from KDE 2.04).  This is, however, a less elegant solution than the one spikerguy pointed to above.  If anything had gone wrong I was ready to crack open the case and pull the emmc chip and flash it using my pine64 emmc to usb adapter.  Without that fallback I'm not sure I would have taken the risk.

So I'm sorted now, aside from so far not being able to get cups running to where I can pull it up from a browser.  Overall I am really enjoying Manjaro with XFCE, and it is obvious how much work the Manjaro team has put into the ARM version of both desktop choices.
(08-12-2020, 08:42 AM)Redbeard Wrote: So I'm sorted now, aside from so far not being able to get cups running to where I can pull it up from a browser.  Overall I am really enjoying Manjaro with XFCE, and it is obvious how much work the Manjaro team has put into the ARM version of both desktop choices.

Did you do
Code:
systemctl start org.cups.cupsd.service
? I think that's all I had to do to get it working.
(08-12-2020, 01:35 PM)carlosqueso Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 08:42 AM)Redbeard Wrote: So I'm sorted now, aside from so far not being able to get cups running to where I can pull it up from a browser.  Overall I am really enjoying Manjaro with XFCE, and it is obvious how much work the Manjaro team has put into the ARM version of both desktop choices.

Did you do
Code:
?  I think that's all I had to do to get it working.

Thanks!  That was all I needed!
(08-12-2020, 04:10 PM)Redbeard Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 01:35 PM)carlosqueso Wrote:

Did you do
Code:
?  I think that's all I had to do to get it working.

Thanks!  That was all I needed!
Glad I could help.  I was afraid that I'd forgotten something else I'd done.
Bug 
Oupsi..

Just updated my beautiful Manjaro PBP... then it has turned into a brick.

On reboot, no more screen. Led light goes from red-orange to green after a few secs, that's all.

What's goin' on?
Creating is Everything
Away
(08-19-2020, 09:08 PM)8jef Wrote: Oupsi..

Just updated my beautiful Manjaro PBP... then it has turned into a brick.

On reboot, no more screen. Led light goes from red-orange to green after a few secs, that's all.

What's goin' on?
Afaik,  nothing changed to uboot so there should be no problem in booting.  

I think you have an sd card inserted while you power on the device.  Can you check this one please. 

Another than that I don't think there is anything that can break it unless you were running a very old system with old booting methods and just updated to latest recently then. You can check the release post of manjaro forum.
Manjaro ARM Team.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & PinePhone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 172 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,611 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 223 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,923 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,982 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 296 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Manjaro ARM: enabling external monitors & fixing Broadcom WiFi after updating trifleneurotic 2 750 11-14-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: trifleneurotic
  Manjaro [ARM Stable Update] 2021-07-23 issues Bocanila 1 1,916 08-21-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  [Manjaro] u-boot won't boot from eMMC with (unbootable) SD card present zackw 1 1,854 08-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  Manjaro - HIbernate - brcmfmac clk issue pompeyPinePro 1 709 08-18-2023, 02:06 AM
Last Post: juliamenendez