What will you do after you bought the PineTab?
Quote:Why did you bought the PineTab?

As a general purpose small linux device! I've always wanted something more portable and convenient than a laptop but more capable than an android tablet, and a linux tablet like the pinetab fits that perfectly. Mainly going to be using it for writing (with a USB mechanical keyboard), light development, browsing, and managing things for tabletop RPGs.
and of course you are right i shouldnt type w/o caffeine, actually i meant my fire tablet.

now i dont know what gen it is, its maybe 2015? but 8 hours of light reading and web brwsing is average now, much less when we fist got it.

i bought my father in law one of these of rxmas

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-HD-10/dp/B07...181&sr=8-1

and i know he never turns it off, yet he says he only gets a low warning once a week,.

again a LOT of reading and medoum amunt of browsing

First it was the nook color that was the finest tablet under $200 i could get, with the longest battery

then the fires, honestly i forgot they moved the kindle name to their low power e-ink devices...

i have AN umi hI10X, NOW iTS WIN10 so that a battery killer there, but its actually ding ok.

the asus transformer its replacing was another all day tablet....

although i check back here every day looking for the order page.... that and my oine time will be my fathersday gifts.....
Doom and OpenTTD for games, terminal/vim/git for development, and SSH/VNC/NoMachine to a remote desktop running heavier things like web browser.

Why buying? I once used a Windows machine with a touchscreen-display and heavily enjoyed dragging and resizing windows with my fingers  Blush  So yeah, this one, too: install classic (stacking, not tiling) window manager on it and drag/resize windows all days long!  Big Grin
(05-20-2020, 08:25 PM)Danct12 Wrote: Just want to ask the community:
  • Why did you bought the PineTab?
  • What you'll plan to do with the PineTab?
  • What do you think of it and will you recommend other people to buy it?
I ordered mine mainly because I wanted more freedom than Android allows, particularly with updates and customisation. I also needed a new tablet since my current one has a cracked screen. What I will do with it is a bit unknown at this point, but exploring the PineTab capabilities will be an adventure.
I just ordered! I'll probably put something lightweight on it like the sxmo-ui that's available for pinephone. I'll use it a lot when travelling for web browsing, reading ebooks/pdf's, ssh, and maybe music & videos. It should be much nicer to carry around than my thinkpad!
(05-20-2020, 08:25 PM)Danct12 Wrote: Just want to ask the community:
  • Why did you bought the PineTab?
  • What you'll plan to do with the PineTab?
  • What do you think of it and will you recommend other people to buy it?

I have an early ARM-based Asus Chromebook Flip that I use as my bedside-table touchscreen device with keyboard.  Its last official Chromebook update will be coming in the next few months so I'll be looking to replace it.  The PineTab looks like it could be just the thing. 

I may experiment with alternate OSes including Chromium since I sometimes use the Android HDHomeRun app to watch TV on my Chromebook.
I'm ordering one because my Pixel C it's on its last leg, and I think this is a great project. I've got an odroid, but they aren't into tablets I guess.
Mine will be used primarily for light web browsing (links2 and maybe ff), videos (mpv; though storage is an issue) and

emacs:
- PIM: email (mu4e), contacts (bbdb or org), calendar (org), notes (org-brain)
- RSS (elfeed)
- PDF (pdf-tools)
- epub (nov.el)
- education (org-drill; this undecided. possibly anki outside of emacs, but definitely org-drill for editing decks)
- prose and structured writing (mostly org)

Heavy use of emacs will require keyboard, sadly.

I'm currently thinking PostmarketOS+Plasma Mobile but I want to experience UBTouch, which we are told is shipping on the device, before settling. I mean, 2GB RAM is extremely limiting when considering graphical-mode applications, very very few of which are memory optimized.
(06-15-2020, 08:59 AM)Paraplegic Racehorse Wrote: Heavy use of emacs will require keyboard, sadly.
What do you think about keyboard? As I understand, PineTab supports all standard Bluetooth and USB keyboards, in addition to the detachable one.
(06-15-2020, 09:02 AM)Lex-2008 Wrote: What do you think about keyboard? As I understand, PineTab supports all standard Bluetooth and USB keyboards, in addition to the detachable one.

I ordered mine with detachable keyboard (which, hopefully has the pinecone logo on the meta key.) I am quite fond of membrane keyboards, so I expect not to have any difficulty after adjusting to the size/key-spacing. However, I have a small selection of bluetooth keyboards of various configuration and bulkiness available to me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinetab 2 just arrived + when can hope to se wifi driver LRP 15 7,335 02-28-2024, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Surehand53
Wink Screen protector for PineTab 2 vatin 0 456 11-18-2023, 01:31 AM
Last Post: vatin
  PineTab 2 (arm64) thoughts and questions acruhl 7 2,689 09-01-2023, 01:13 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  PineTab 2 Dead Screen Kramey 16 4,343 08-12-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Kramey
  pinetab 2 not booting ajhiii070 5 1,633 08-07-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: r.aliaskarov
  does the pinetab "just worK"? averageconsumer445 19 4,116 07-15-2023, 10:31 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Pinetab-V shipping Status? jfstepha 6 2,187 07-12-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ChromaticHamster
  No WiFi or Ethernet on vanilla PineTab 2 from the factory? SmittyWerbenyegermanjenson 6 2,129 06-06-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: fxc
Star Looking for a Pinetab [EU] Glenn 2 2,552 01-24-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Louis
  Looking to buy a PineTab Yair22 2 2,418 01-24-2023, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Louis