Sxmo - Simple X Mobile Released for the Pinephone (new minimalistic UI & image)
Calling works here too, I really like dwm and its really cool with the swipes and buttons. If I change to "speaker" audio and play a movie file in mpv, the audio is scuffed. Its like its missing some "HZ" voices in song text are gone. Other then that I tried turning off 3 cores to extend the battery life. Dont think it helped mutch. Sometimes wish there was a dot "." on the keyboard, i do really like it otherwise.

Also I don't want "tethering" on buy default can i turn this off? Tried ifdown USB0 Tongue
Those demos looked interesting, looking forward to trying it out!

edit: posting from surf on my pinephone... awesome job putting this together! I like having split screens and how easy the toggle buttos are to use.

Edit 2: happy to say that phone calls and texts work! Just had to toggle the modem. Accessing the 'numpad' to enter a voicemail pin felt clunky and I can't seem to get one-finger gestures for volume up/down or brightness to work.
Quote:If I change to "speaker" audio and play a movie file in mpv, the audio is scuffed. Its like its missing some "HZ" voices in song text are gone.

I noticed the same behavior, though I haven't checked back in a while to see if it has changed any, or if the issue was specific to MPV or SXMO or affected other images.  It seemed like the Speaker output is playing the left and right channels together out of phase, which will cause cancellation in the low frequency range and result in effects like vanishing vocals (and often other sounds that are centered in the stereo image).
The battery charge level icon doesn't seem to update when the phone is plugged in, does anyone else have that happen?
(07-06-2020, 01:18 PM)E80000FF Wrote: Calling works here too, I really like dwm and its really cool with the swipes and buttons. If I change to "speaker" audio and play a movie file in mpv, the audio is scuffed. Its like its missing some "HZ" voices in song text are gone. Other then that I tried turning off 3 cores to extend the battery life. Dont think it helped mutch. Sometimes wish there was a dot "." on the keyboard, i do really like it otherwise.

Also I don't want "tethering" on buy default can i turn this off? Tried ifdown USB0 Tongue

There's only so much (horizontal) space to play with but I agree dot on the first layer of the keyboard would be nice. You can always switch up to the second layer. I'd say check out pmOS wiki for disabling tethering - I think you could set things up as an initscript to disable.

(07-07-2020, 07:08 PM)0x070 Wrote: Those demos looked interesting, looking forward to trying it out!

edit: posting from surf on my pinephone... awesome job putting this together! I like having split screens and how easy the toggle buttos are to use.

Edit 2: happy to say that phone calls and texts work! Just had to toggle the modem. Accessing the 'numpad' to enter a voicemail pin felt clunky and I can't seem to get one-finger gestures for volume up/down or brightness to work.

We have a ticket in the tracker to switch the in-call menu to use the svkbd keyboard instead of dmenu for the DTMF tones - agreed it's clunky atm. Vol/brightness are just diagonal directions - so imagine a 45 degree angle (while you are holding the phone straight). Once you get the hang of it, it becomes pretty natural.

(07-10-2020, 10:46 AM)numdepict Wrote:
Quote:If I change to "speaker" audio and play a movie file in mpv, the audio is scuffed. Its like its missing some "HZ" voices in song text are gone.

I noticed the same behavior, though I haven't checked back in a while to see if it has changed any, or if the issue was specific to MPV or SXMO or affected other images.  It seemed like the Speaker output is playing the left and right channels together out of phase, which will cause cancellation in the low frequency range and result in effects like vanishing vocals (and often other sounds that are centered in the stereo image).

Admittedly I only use headphones and never use my phone in the speaker setting (and the audio output menu was added by a contributor Smile)  But I will take a look eventually or would be happy to merge changes on the audio config. I do wonder if the speaker on the Pinephone is mono itself though (does this effect happen in other images too?)

(07-11-2020, 05:44 PM)0x070 Wrote: The battery charge level icon doesn't seem to update when the phone is plugged in, does anyone else have that happen?

Yup - it's a todo item for me, it'll automatically update after 30 seconds always (so you'll see it as charging after 30s), but I want to investigate a mechanism to automatically update the bar instantly on plugging/unplugging  probably via udev.

--

As for updates on Sxmo - I'm close to having an update for CRUST compatibility which I'll push in the next few days. The screenlock program will be changing to have 3 LED states (red/purple/blue) for (deep sleep/screen off/screen on input lock) rather than the 2 it has currently.

Been very impressed with the battery life numbers on CRUST - the phone will finally be able to sleep longer than I can and then some which is great Shy
Cool, thanks for the reply and glad to hear crust is incoming Smile
Amazing interface, I love it. It actually works fast instead of trying (and failing) to give you a "modern and easy-to-use UI" like many other OS do. Thank you for that.

A couple of personal pain points. It would be helpful to have "help" in the menu with the offline usage instructions. Otherwise it can get hard when the Internet is gone.
I wish it was not based on postmarketOS but on more popular Debian, where more packages are available (or PureOS).

It would be good to be able to change brightness on the login screen.

The letters on the keyboard are way too small. Impossible to use on the go. They are much more pleasant, e.g., in Phosh.

During the last update, it said to me that there was not enough space to update Firefox. My microSD has 64 GB, but the OS does not notice it, it only shows about 1 GB. How to expand the space? After reboot, I cannot login anymore: It just refreshes the login screen after entering the correct credentials.
(07-13-2020, 02:05 AM)fsflover Wrote: During the last update, it said to me that there was not enough space to update Firefox. My microSD has 64 GB, but the OS does not notice it, it only shows about 1 GB. How to expand the space? After reboot, I cannot login anymore: It just refreshes the login screen after entering the correct credentials.

After I flash the image to the SD card, I open gparted (GUI) and expand the root partition. Then I put the SD card onto my PinePhone and boot it up.
(07-13-2020, 07:06 AM)0x070 Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 02:05 AM)fsflover Wrote: During the last update, it said to me that there was not enough space to update Firefox. My microSD has 64 GB, but the OS does not notice it, it only shows about 1 GB. How to expand the space? After reboot, I cannot login anymore: It just refreshes the login screen after entering the correct credentials.

After I flash the image to the SD card, I open gparted (GUI) and expand the root partition. Then I put the SD card onto my PinePhone and boot it up.

Thank you, I will try this! By the way, PureOS is doing it automatically and I did not have to do anything to get all 64 GB.
(07-13-2020, 02:05 AM)fsflover Wrote: The letters on the keyboard are way too small.
Absolutely agree.
I would prefer removing the keyboard 'key borders' and increasing the key characters to their practical maximum. The key character would also be the touch point reference.
If the number of characters per key are an issue perhaps reducing these to character pairs might help.
I have set mine to (e.g.)
Layer 2 -> L2, Shift -> Sh (etc).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PostmarketOS sxmo pinephone keyboard keymaps? afwtioane 2 2,030 09-11-2022, 04:37 AM
Last Post: manubert
  sxmo pim nextcloud Uturn 8 5,998 02-22-2022, 03:23 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Battery life on sxmo xark 1 2,071 02-12-2022, 10:07 AM
  Official Channels for Sxmo Support anjanmomi 2 3,053 02-12-2022, 09:50 AM
  sxmo & php --- 2 1,761 01-31-2022, 01:45 PM
Last Post: ---
  sxmo improvements unrealb2 7 5,637 11-17-2021, 06:43 AM
Last Post: fdlamotte
  SXMO on Debian IVp 0 2,161 08-21-2021, 02:33 PM
Last Post: IVp
  Megi's multiboot sxmo image aithal 1 2,168 06-14-2021, 08:07 AM
Last Post: fdlamotte
  SXMO svkbd with joypad layout [for basic dosbox play] streak 0 1,470 05-27-2021, 08:47 AM
Last Post: streak
  Sxmo on Arch IVp 4 6,370 05-19-2021, 03:18 AM
Last Post: dukla2000