Sxmo - Simple X Mobile Released for the Pinephone (new minimalistic UI & image)
(06-01-2020, 12:57 PM)janw Wrote: I've succesfully set up a hotspot on my pinephone with sxmo.

More info at http://www.janwagemakers.be/jekyll/pinep...tspot.html

Nice - might be nice to have a menu item eventually for this too in config. Still actually have to setup my mobile data to begin with Rolleyes

(06-01-2020, 09:02 PM)edge Wrote: Is there a way to have the menus loop?

Sometimes, more than a few  button presses are required to get to a menu item at the bottom when fewer presses are needed if it were possible to jump to the last item from the first.
It wouldn't be hard to write a patch for dmenu to do this but I'd probably opt against it as really it's only ever 1 extra button press up/down since you can hold the button down.

The condition checks are really simple if you want to poke around the code: https://git.sr.ht/~mil/sxmo-dmenu/tree/m...enu.c#L575 Basically you'd just if/else the condition and in the new branch modify the curr pointer accordingly.
(05-24-2020, 06:44 PM)visiblink Wrote: Thanks for the instructions and the explanations. Everything is building properly now!

Here's my setup in case you're interested in any of it.

I didn't realize at first that the gestures worked from any starting position on the screen, provided there's enough room to meet the 300 (pixel?) minimum. I use GMD Gesture Control on Android, and it has starting zones, where you have to begin the gesture within -- for example -- 50px of the bottom screen edge.

So I did away with the one-finger-up and one-finger-down gestures. Here's what seemed to make sense to me:

one finger swipe left -- change desktop (as original)
one finger swipe right -- menu
two finger swipe down -- close app
three finger swipe up -- keyboard
three finger swipe down -- close keyboard

I didn't need any of dwm's app-switching features, because I like apps to take up the full screen, so I'm essentially using the desktops like webOS cards, one app per desktop. I just flip through them with left-to-right gestures.

Since I have access to the menu at any time via the right-to-left gesture, I changed the key bindings (much reduced) to reflect my likely needs.

What did you put in the config.h for lisgd for the "one finger swipe right -- menu"?  I have tried several things, for example:

{ 1,    Left,   Right,    "sxmo_appmenu.sh" },

and everything I've tried has worked to open the menu, but also every time I try to use this if I open the Dialer submenu and then click on "Close Menu" it crashes and goes back to the xdm login.  I'd love to have a swipe to open menu, but not if there will be weird crashes that I can't figure out.

It's something specifically with running sxmo_appmenu.sh.  If I try to run, for example, st; then there are no problems.
thread stickied
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(06-03-2020, 09:08 AM)saba Wrote: What did you put in the config.h for lisgd for the "one finger swipe right -- menu"?  I have tried several things, for example:

{ 1,    Left,   Right,    "sxmo_appmenu.sh" },

and everything I've tried has worked to open the menu, but also every time I try to use this if I open the Dialer submenu and then click on "Close Menu" it crashes and goes back to the xdm login.  I'd love to have a swipe to open menu, but not if there will be weird crashes that I can't figure out.

It's something specifically with running sxmo_appmenu.sh.  If I try to run, for example, st; then there are no problems.

I think something you might want to try is backgrounding sxmo_appmenu.sh; e.g launch with sxmo_appmenu.sh &
The commands you define in lisgd are expected to return instantly so using something long-running might throw things off. Especially because I think in the modem dialer at the end we wind up killing all dmenu instances; so maybe that could be the cause of the issue. Though X itself shouldn't crash in anycase - If you can replicate an X crash using lisgd / sxmo-utils please file a bug on the sr.ht bug tracker with replication steps.

(06-09-2020, 04:30 PM)Luke Wrote: thread stickied

Thanks!

Also - I wanted to mention here - I just rolled a new image release of Sxmo - version 0.1.6, should be up at:
http://images.lrdu.org/pinephone/

We now have diagonal gestures support in lisgd which is a great improvement from my point of view because now you can use a single finger gesture to increase/decrease volume/brightness. Three/four finger gestures are no more Wink 

More info on gestures improvements and other changes are at the mailing list:
https://lists.sr.ht/~mil/sxmo-devel
I know most of the focus is on postMarketOS and UBPorts, but for me this is the most exciting OS you can run on your PinePhone.

Initially there's a learning curve to figure out the controls - and also with the PinePhone as it is, doing 3 quick clicks on one of the physical buttons isn't always easy.

But once you get the hang of it, this really does feel great.

Right now for me the screen gestures are very hit and miss, but Surf, ST, and their interesting YouTube via MPV setup work great.

This is definitely a project to watch.
Just to update - I figured out how to do the gestures - they're working great for me now. So I have no 'complaints' to speak of.

Big thumbs up to @mil

This is exactly the sort of project that the PinePhone was born for.
(reposting as it didn't seem to work last time)

Just to update - I figured out how to do the gestures - they're working great for me now. So I have no 'complaints' to speak of.

Big thumbs up to @mil

This is exactly the sort of project that the PinePhone was born for.
(06-19-2020, 06:27 AM)ozzeruk Wrote: I know most of the focus is on postMarketOS and UBPorts, but for me this is the most exciting OS you can run on your PinePhone.
This is definitely a project to watch.

Good to hear   : )

---

Also wanted to add here there's a new image for Sxmo - 0.1.7, finally we have good GPS / Maps support (copying coordinates, searching viewport area, pasting coordinates, looking up locations, switching map types, locating yourself via geoclue, etc.). Ofcourse this is all accessible through the Pinephone buttons / via dmenu : ). Foxtrotgps is actually pretty great when you consider it's quick boot speed and scripting around it wasn't *too* hard  Rolleyes

Other than that we have contacts support now through a TSV file which was a long standing todo item - and you can also now 'background' the dmenu for calls so you can continue to use the system during the call. There are some other minor fixes and improvements you can checkout at the changelog and ML.

New 0.1.7 image is at:
http://images.lrdu.org/pinephone/

Some release notes are at:
https://lists.sr.ht/~mil/sxmo-announce/%...ail.com%3E
Miles - I'm having a problem making git@git.sr.ht:~mil/sxmo-svkbd.

svkbd build options:
CFLAGS  = -g -std=c99 -pedantic -Wall -Os -I. -I./layouts -I/usr/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DVERSION="0.1"
LDFLAGS  = -g -L/usr/lib -lc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXtst
CC      = cc
make: *** No rule to make target 'svkbd-en', needed by 'all'.  Stop.

Is svkbd-en supposed to be in this directory?

Thanks Miles for your response (below), and for sharing your great project Smile
(07-01-2020, 05:01 PM)--- Wrote: Miles - I'm having a problem making git@git.sr.ht:~mil/sxmo-svkbd.

svkbd build options:
CFLAGS  = -g -std=c99 -pedantic -Wall -Os -I. -I./layouts -I/usr/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DVERSION="0.1"
LDFLAGS  = -g -L/usr/lib -lc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXtst
CC      = cc
make: *** No rule to make target 'svkbd-en', needed by 'all'.  Stop.

Is svkbd-en supposed to be in this directory?

The build for svkbd only produces svkbd-sxmo. I'd suggest either using the APKBUILD proper or using the command the APKBUILD uses:
https://git.sr.ht/~mil/sxmo-alpine/tree/...KBUILD#L25

E.g. try:
Code:
make svkbd-sxmo X11INC=/usr/include/X11 X11LIB=/usr/lib/X11 FREETYPEINC=/usr/include/freetype2

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PostmarketOS sxmo pinephone keyboard keymaps? afwtioane 2 2,054 09-11-2022, 04:37 AM
Last Post: manubert
  sxmo pim nextcloud Uturn 8 6,061 02-22-2022, 03:23 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Battery life on sxmo xark 1 2,088 02-12-2022, 10:07 AM
  Official Channels for Sxmo Support anjanmomi 2 3,069 02-12-2022, 09:50 AM
  sxmo & php --- 2 1,780 01-31-2022, 01:45 PM
Last Post: ---
  sxmo improvements unrealb2 7 5,673 11-17-2021, 06:43 AM
Last Post: fdlamotte
  SXMO on Debian IVp 0 2,176 08-21-2021, 02:33 PM
Last Post: IVp
  Megi's multiboot sxmo image aithal 1 2,185 06-14-2021, 08:07 AM
Last Post: fdlamotte
  SXMO svkbd with joypad layout [for basic dosbox play] streak 0 1,483 05-27-2021, 08:47 AM
Last Post: streak
  Sxmo on Arch IVp 4 6,408 05-19-2021, 03:18 AM
Last Post: dukla2000