Sxmo - Simple X Mobile Released for the Pinephone (new minimalistic UI & image)
I'm liking what I'm seeing of this so far. i'll give it a whirl when I get home to my main machine and can flash it to an sd.

Judging by the images/videos, very nice work. Can't wait to play with it!
update: I got home and downloaded and flashed sxmo, and am really enjoying it so far. I already am quite familiar with dwm so this is pretty nice for me. 

It seems you like you put quite a bit of thought into the layout, and the hardware navigation is pretty intuitive once you get used to it. 

I will continue testing and will be happy to contribute to this project in any way that I can Smile

one note, I am excited to see such a minimal setup for mobile. I wonder how far that minimalism will go in helping the battery life. I haven't followed pmOS as much in the past couple of weeks when it comes to updates, but did they also implement crust?

Good work again and thanks for this fun little project!
FWIW, I've been playing around with the "/usr/bin/sxmo_" scripts. Interesting!

As an experiment I've replaced the content of sxmo_weather.sh with:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env sh
st -f Monospace-14 -e w3m "https://wttr.in?n"

Which gives correctly the weather forecast for my current location:

[Image: 2020-05-23-114431_720x1440_scrot.png]
[quote pid='66150' dateline='1590185111']

(05-22-2020, 01:15 AM)davidbe Wrote: This looks really slick & very useable! I'll try that later today!

Using khard (https://github.com/scheibler/khard/) as intermediate might make calling & texting easier (and I would sync it vdirsyncer (https://vdirsyncer.pimutils.org/en/stable/)) - but that's maybe outside the suckless - toolchain :-)

Interesting - hadn't heard of `khard`, looks like its a vCard client. I've looked a bit into the vCard spec - looks (mostly) simple, atleast if the plain text variant is used. My current idea for a contact system currently is just to have a text file (tsv) with two columns number & contact name. Not sure yet, holding off building out the contact system work for a little while until some other bugs are fixed.
[/quote]

With 'khard' you can look-up really easily contacts (is also used in combination with mutt), it uses vCard specs so it is much more elegant to sync the list with services (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CardDAV#Server-side).
(05-22-2020, 09:54 PM)falkensmaze Wrote: one note, I am excited to see such a minimal setup for mobile. I wonder how far that minimalism will go in helping the battery life. I haven't followed pmOS as much in the past couple of weeks when it comes to updates, but did they also implement crust?

Good work again and thanks for this fun little project!

Thanks for checking it out - re crust there's a WIP PR for pmOS, but nothing upstream yet. Battery life on pmOS with has been pretty good for me usually gets through my workday by leaving the screen off / using for audio. Eventually I'd like to have the screen lock display off mode currently used by triple clicking the volume up button trigger the crust deep sleep when its supported in pmOS.

(05-23-2020, 04:00 AM)janw Wrote: FWIW, I've been playing around with the "/usr/bin/sxmo_" scripts. Interesting!

As an experiment I've replaced the content of sxmo_weather.sh

Nice! Yeah there's some work to do on internationalization (well really just the weather script and dialing); dialing stuff is what I'm more concerned about right now, curious if calls / sms works for you / anyone not in the US? I'm removing the +1 prefix currently so I think it'll probably break Sad

davidbe Wrote: With 'khard' you can look-up really easily contacts (is also used in combination with mutt), it uses vCard specs so it is much more elegant to sync the list with services (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CardDAV#Server-side).

Yeah mutt is nice - i've always been really lazy w/ it though never ever looked into its contact system, will have to play around w/ it; if the whole idea of vCard is one contact per file, that's pretty nice and would be easy to script into the dialer/texts script. I found a program vcf2csv which looks like it could be pretty helpful. Trying to keep everything with shell scripts  Shy
(05-23-2020, 11:10 AM)mil Wrote: Yeah there's some work to do on internationalization (well really just the weather script and dialing); dialing stuff is what I'm more concerned about right now, curious if calls / sms works for you / anyone not in the US? I'm removing the +1 prefix currently so I think it'll probably break Sad

Let's see, I've just put my SIM-card in my pinephone to do some tests.

When I enter a number that starts with +32 (+32 = Belgium) in the dialer of sxmo, I get the message that it is not a number. If I leave out the +32 part (and add a 0) I can call my normal phone at home.

In the other direction, I can make a call from my normal phone to the pinephone and pick it up. But the number gets stored in the dialer without the + (3212345678 instead of +3212345678).

I've also logged in to PC-banking, because they send an SMS with a code to log in. I have successfully received that code.

Because I have a very bad reception at home, I had to do these tests while standing before my window. This is a little bit cumbersome... so enough testing for today Wink
(05-23-2020, 01:12 PM)janw Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 11:10 AM)mil Wrote: Yeah there's some work to do on internationalization (well really just the weather script and dialing); dialing stuff is what I'm more concerned about right now, curious if calls / sms works for you / anyone not in the US? I'm removing the +1 prefix currently so I think it'll probably break Sad

Let's see, I've just put my SIM-card in my pinephone to do some tests.

When I enter a number that starts with +32 (+32 = Belgium) in the dialer of sxmo, I get the message that it is not a number. If I leave out the +32 part (and add a 0) I can call my normal phone at home.

In the other direction, I can make a call from my normal phone to the pinephone and pick it up. But the number gets stored in the dialer without the + (3212345678 instead of +3212345678).

I've also logged in to PC-banking, because they send an SMS with a code to log in. I have successfully received that code.

Because I have a very bad reception at home, I had to do these tests while standing before my window. This is a little bit cumbersome... so enough testing for today Wink

Thanks for helping test - first i've heard of calls/texts working via the scripts in sxmo outside the US Smile

Maybe there's a way to have mmcli query the actual international number called - issue originally was that if you put a request into mm to call some number without the international prefix, it'll work fine but then on the receiving end for a text message the prefix / country code like +1 is always prefix appended. So for text message logs if you append without prefix processing normalization it would go to two different log files. So I scripted around that for the US, but it seems like this definitely break's with variable length country codes.

Will have to play around more with it; hopefully mm can report back out the actual number (with the prefix accounted for even if the user didn't enter it); if not could always make the country prefix required as a last resort.
I've been playing around with sxmo and I really like it.

I want to add a couple of gestures: one finger swipe down to close an application and a one finger swipe up to open the menu (system or app, depending on the context).

I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I understand correctly that if I want to add the gestures, I have to copy config.def.h to config.h, make my changes, and build lisgd? There's no stand-alone config file?

2. Is it correct that I should build on the phone rather than my amd64 laptop to get an ARM build?

Sorry about the rudimentary issues. I haven't built anything from source for over a decade. It hasn't been necessary!
(05-23-2020, 05:42 PM)visiblink Wrote: I've been playing around with sxmo and I really like it.

I want to add a couple of gestures: one finger swipe down to close an application and a one finger swipe up to open the menu (system or app, depending on the context).

1. Do I understand correctly that if I want to add the gestures, I have to copy config.def.h to config.h, make my changes, and build lisgd? There's no stand-alone config file?

2. Is it correct that I should build on the phone rather than my amd64 laptop to get an ARM build?

Sorry about the rudimentary issues. I haven't built anything from source for over a decade. It hasn't been necessary!

Thanks for trying it out - regarding changing swipe gestures, no official support but wouldn't be hard to hack in. Should be doable without compiling anything extra (unless you want to ofc : ) The program used for bindings gestures is called lisgd:
https://git.sr.ht/~mil/lisgd

You can see the default bindings for lisgd here:
https://git.sr.ht/~mil/lisgd/tree/master/config.def.h

Essentially what you'd want to do is create a script to bind your gestures.. If you use the `-g` option with lisgd atleast once, it will override any default (config.def.h) bindings referenced above. So you could create a script like (untested - but added the 2 commands for single up/down swipe you'd need) this - essentially just translating the config.h gestures to command line options and adding your extra gestures:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env sh
pkill lisgd # E.g. because that's with the default bindings autostarted
lisgd \
 -t 400 \
 -g '1,u,d,sh -c "xdotool key --clearmodifiers Alt+Shift+c"' \
 -g '1,d,u,sh -c "sxmo_appmenu.sh"' \
 -g '1,l,r,sh -c "xdotool key --clearmodifiers Alt+Shift+e"' \
 -g '1,r,l,sh -c "xdotool key --clearmodifiers Alt+Shift+r"' \
 -g '2,l,r,sh -c "xdotool key --clearmodifiers Alt+e"' \
 -g '2,r,l,sh -c "xdotool key --clearmodifiers Alt+r"' \
 -g '2,d,u,sh -c "pidof svkbd-sxmo || svkbd-sxmo &"' \
 -g '2,u,d,sh -c "pkill -9 svkbd-sxmo"' \
 -g '3,d,u,sh -c "sxmo_vol.sh up"' \
 -g '3,u,d,sh -c "sxmo_vol.sh down"' \
 -g '4,d,u,sh -c "sxmo_brightness.sh up"' \
 -g '4,u,d,sh -c "sxmo_brightness.sh down"'

And then run that script after you start up Sxmo / login. Not positive on the best way for a user-level change like that to persist - maybe in the future there will be a way to run a user xinit script on boot.
(05-23-2020, 08:59 PM)mil Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 05:42 PM)visiblink Wrote: I've been playing around with sxmo and I really like it.

Thanks for trying it out - regarding changing swipe gestures, no official support but wouldn't be hard to hack in. Should be doable without compiling anything extra (unless you want to ofc : ) The program used for bindings gestures is called lisgd:
https://git.sr.ht/~mil/lisgd

You can see the default bindings for lisgd here:
https://git.sr.ht/~mil/lisgd/tree/master/config.def.h

Essentially what you'd want to do is create a script to bind your gestures.. If you use the `-g` option with lisgd atleast once, it will override any default (config.def.h) bindings referenced above. So you could create a script like (untested - but added the 2 commands for single up/down swipe you'd need) this - essentially just translating the config.h gestures to command line options and adding your extra gestures:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env sh
pkill lisgd # E.g. because that's with the default bindings autostarted
lisgd \
 -t 400 \
 -g '1,u,d,sh -c "xdotool key --clearmodifiers Alt+Shift+c"' \
 -g '1,d,u,sh -c "sxmo_appmenu.sh"' \
 -g '1,l,r,sh -c "xdotool key --clearmodifiers Alt+Shift+e"' \
 -g '1,r,l,sh -c "xdotool key --clearmodifiers Alt+Shift+r"' \
 -g '2,l,r,sh -c "xdotool key --clearmodifiers Alt+e"' \
 -g '2,r,l,sh -c "xdotool key --clearmodifiers Alt+r"' \
 -g '2,d,u,sh -c "pidof svkbd-sxmo || svkbd-sxmo &"' \
 -g '2,u,d,sh -c "pkill -9 svkbd-sxmo"' \
 -g '3,d,u,sh -c "sxmo_vol.sh up"' \
 -g '3,u,d,sh -c "sxmo_vol.sh down"' \
 -g '4,d,u,sh -c "sxmo_brightness.sh up"' \
 -g '4,u,d,sh -c "sxmo_brightness.sh down"'

And then run that script after you start up Sxmo / login. Not positive on the best way for a user-level change like that to persist - maybe in the future there will be a way to run a user xinit script on boot.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I really appreciate it! I had seen the command line switches, but for some reason did not think about creating a script, and I didn't know about the "#!/usr/bin/env sh" line anyways. I would have screwed it up with an unthinking #!/bin/bash.

Anyways, this is great. I'll be customizing to my heart's content, and I suspect that I won't be alone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PostmarketOS sxmo pinephone keyboard keymaps? afwtioane 2 2,018 09-11-2022, 04:37 AM
Last Post: manubert
  sxmo pim nextcloud Uturn 8 5,984 02-22-2022, 03:23 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Battery life on sxmo xark 1 2,067 02-12-2022, 10:07 AM
  Official Channels for Sxmo Support anjanmomi 2 3,047 02-12-2022, 09:50 AM
  sxmo & php --- 2 1,753 01-31-2022, 01:45 PM
Last Post: ---
  sxmo improvements unrealb2 7 5,615 11-17-2021, 06:43 AM
Last Post: fdlamotte
  SXMO on Debian IVp 0 2,157 08-21-2021, 02:33 PM
Last Post: IVp
  Megi's multiboot sxmo image aithal 1 2,165 06-14-2021, 08:07 AM
Last Post: fdlamotte
  SXMO svkbd with joypad layout [for basic dosbox play] streak 0 1,466 05-27-2021, 08:47 AM
Last Post: streak
  Sxmo on Arch IVp 4 6,361 05-19-2021, 03:18 AM
Last Post: dukla2000