Ayufan's Ubuntu Focal Gnome (20.04)
I flashed Ayufan's latest pre-release with the gnome build and booted it.
The experience is, for a relatively heavy DE, incredibly smooth. So far the only thing I have found that doesn't immediately work as it should is sound.

Overall a vary good impression, kudos to Ayufan!

Edit: Regarding sound: neither the speakers nor the headphone jack works, I haven't been able to test hdmi yet.
Interesting. Think I might give it a go when I get home.
(05-20-2020, 01:58 PM)mlentink Wrote: I flashed Ayufan's latest pre-release with the gnome build and booted it.
The experience is, for a relatively heavy DE, incredibly smooth. So far the only thing I have found that doesn't immediately work as it should is sound.

Edit: Regarding sound: neither the speakers nor the headphone jack works, I haven't been able to test hdmi yet.

Do you have a link?
(05-23-2020, 02:41 PM)digeratus1. Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 01:58 PM)mlentink Wrote: I flashed Ayufan's latest pre-release with the gnome build and booted it.

Do you have a link?

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-b...m64.img.xz
(05-24-2020, 06:23 AM)mlentink Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 02:41 PM)digeratus1. Wrote:

Do you have a link?

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-b...m64.img.xz

Thank you. I will test it. 

I appreciate the work of all these distro developers creating images specifically for the Pinebook Pro, not easy. At the moment I'm pretty happy with @MartijnBraam work on postmarketOS - super stable, dedicated development, blazing fast, Gnome, supported audio and power management, oh and Alpine-based: the underdog of all the Pinebook Pro distributions.

Ultimately, I test all distros to get a sense of where open source desktop development is compared to my early days of OSS contributions. Pine64 is doing a magnificent job planting the hardware seeds. I wish they would make a more explicit way to support these independent developers - Ayufan, mrfixit, @MartijnBraam , the Strit and team from Manjaro, etc. I know I would donate more it was easier to do so directly from this forum @Luke announcements or by encouraging donations by placing donation buttons for each project. These developers put up with a lot and few things show more gratitude than hard cash. Pinebook Pro's don't run without software.

Anyway, somewhat off topic, but necessary. I'll give @ayufan latest masterpiece i try.

Thanks
I am testing out Focal 20.04 now on my Pinebook and RockPro64.

First impressions are good. It is faster than 18.04 and feels faster than Fedora 31 or OpenSuSE on the pinebook. It rips on the RockPro64. I already have moved it to the EMMC.

Fonts had to be configured, gnome tweaked a bit, didn't recognize my usb wifi card with the RockPro64 but worked perfect on the Pinebook onboard wifi.

Cheers!
(05-24-2020, 02:40 PM)xbcsmith Wrote: I am testing out Focal 20.04 now on my Pinebook and RockPro64.

First impressions are good. It is faster than 18.04 and feels faster than Fedora 31 or OpenSuSE on the pinebook. It rips on the RockPro64. I already have moved it to the EMMC.

Fonts had to be configured, gnome tweaked a bit, didn't recognize my usb wifi card with the RockPro64 but worked perfect on the Pinebook onboard wifi.

Cheers!

Yeah, I had to tweak a couple of things too, but I'm used to that: fonts, shell theme, GTK3-theme, fonts etc. I like to have everything look exactly the way I want, so that's not too much of a problem.
Did you get sound working? If so, how?
Just found this thread, so I burned it to SD card and tried it, installed KDE and so far, so good. Maybe will switch it to NVMe and run as a daily driver.
I think that sleep/suspend does not work, but the system seems to be stable.

edit: yes, sound does not work either
I'm using the Ubuntu Focal Gnome image, but I immediately ripped out Gnome and installed Mate instead as it's my preference. The Mate image seems to currently be broken, and it seemed to be less work to start with the working Gnome image than to try to fix the Mate image.

I'm a brand new owner. My PBP just arrived on Thursday this week. Is Ayufan a forum member? I'm interested in helping fix the Mate images if he/she's looking for help.

I was able to get sound working after much fiddling with AlsaMixer. The device/option labels don't seem to be quite correct, as the main speaker volume control appears to be operated by what's labeled as "headphones" but ultimately, I think was made sound start working was unmuting one of the options that was muted by default. (I think it was one of the headphone options towards the far right of the list)
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I DD'd the same version of Focal (0.10.12) to an SD and it didn't boot. I tried Ayufan's 0.9.16 and it worked. I then redownloaded 0.10.12 and tried again and it didn't work. My eMMC is currently disconnected. Any tips?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro Gnome 22.06 pamac update fail/soft-bricked-OS u974615 5 2,317 08-21-2022, 12:00 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Manjaro Gnome on Pinebook Pro Review! - My New Favourite Pinebook Pro Distro! ImmyChan 0 1,300 02-18-2022, 12:59 PM
Last Post: ImmyChan
  soft brick with ayufan DimHummingbird 9 6,598 07-18-2021, 02:58 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Sound stuttering on Manjaro gnome after latest kernel upgrade? pjsf 0 1,771 07-13-2021, 10:37 PM
Last Post: pjsf
  After update in Ubuntu bionic mate system crashed Wawe 2 3,186 04-18-2021, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Wawe
Rainbow Armbian Groovy/Bullseye with Gnome clover 10 9,987 12-27-2020, 04:10 PM
Last Post: bus-error
  Ubuntu Installation on PBP narinderpal10 5 5,950 12-18-2020, 12:22 PM
Last Post: narinderpal10
  Ubuntu MATE 18.04 Can't boot after update hankg 2 3,123 12-15-2020, 01:53 AM
Last Post: BryanF
  Best Gnome distro for PBP? Upokupo 2 4,282 11-26-2020, 11:51 AM
Last Post: clover
  Installing Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal) with BSP uBoot with deep sleep and sound Syonyk 17 19,267 11-19-2020, 03:16 AM
Last Post: FeMike