Testing GPS
It'll get a fix a lot quicker if you can feed it the AGPS info. I did a proof-of-concept loader:
https://gist.github.com/alastair-dm/2632...e555fa6628
It may need tweaks to work with UBPorts.
(05-18-2020, 02:43 PM)Luke Wrote: Here are the steps to enable and help testing GPS on Ubuntu Touch.

I strongly suggest you open SSH first:

Code:
sudo mount -o rw,remount /
sudo umount /etc/init/ssh.override
sudo rm /etc/init/ssh.override
sudo start ssh

Step 1)
You need to be using OTA version 27 (May 17th) or newer. You should be on devel channel.

Step 2)
Fetch uNav and Pure Maps from OpenStore

Step 3)
Mount the volume so its rewritable

Code:

Step 4)
Install gpsd

Code:
sudo ubports-qa install xenial_-_edge_-_gpsd

Step 5)
Start GPS + some magic
Code:
sudo gpsd start
sudo restart ubuntu-location-service
initctl unset-env --global UBUNTU_PLATFORM_API_BACKEND
initctl set-env --global UBUNTU_PLATFORM_API_BACKEND=touch_mirclient

Step 6)
Open uNav and request it to fetch your location.

Report issues, fixes, ideas and everything else related to the topic of location services on Ubuntu Touch in this thread.
Unav can not find my location. Any idea what it could be?
Thank You
WARNING: follow steps form the first post; I intentionally didn't and it ended poorly. Tried the steps from the first post days ago 'without' switching to dev channel but otherwise up to date. Already had uNav for a long time and had just installed puremaps+osmscout shortly before. I had also installed a document viewer long ago which likely sums up software changes. I had no simcard or sd card installed. Attempting to open uNav and puremaps failed rapidly returning to the launcher. After reboot, the system now fails to boot after the ubuntu touch splash screen with a white screen saying:

There was an error loading Unity8:
file:///usr/share/unity8//OrientedShell.qml:268:5: Type Shell unavailable
file:///usr/share/unity8//Shell.qml:562:9: Type Launcher unavailable
file:///usr/share/unity8//Launcher/Launcher.qml:365:5: Type Drawer unavailable
file:///usr/share/unity8//Launcher/Drawer.qml:23:1: plugin cannot be loaded for module "Qt.labs.settings": Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/Qt/labs/settings/libqmlsettingsplugin.so'

I presume this was likely just the result of not going to dev branch first right? Is there any data people would like me to get from this before I wipe the internal memory? I'm now playing with the multiboot image from sd card and with a SIM have mobian (eventually) showing gps lock; asked in another thread if sim is required though.
(12-31-2020, 03:28 PM)Csanderson0313 Wrote: [quote pid='65872' dateline='1589834637']
Code:
sudo umount /etc/init/ssh.override
sudo rm /etc/init/ssh.override
sudo start ssh

Step 1)
You need to be using OTA version 27 (May 17th) or newer. You should be on devel channel.

Step 2)
Fetch uNav and Pure Maps from OpenStore

Step 3)
Mount the volume so its rewritable

Code:

Step 4)
Install gpsd spyera

Code:
sudo ubports-qa install xenial_-_edge_-_gpsd w

Step 5)
Start GPS + some magic
Code:
sudo gpsd start
sudo restart ubuntu-location-service
initctl unset-env --global UBUNTU_PLATFORM_API_BACKEND
initctl set-env --global UBUNTU_PLATFORM_API_BACKEND=touch_mirclient

Step 6)
Open uNav and request it to fetch your location.

Report issues, fixes, ideas and everything else related to the topic of location services on Ubuntu Touch in this thread.

[/quote]

I tested this and result is good and sucessfull
***   Report issues, fixes, ideas and everything else related to the topic of location services on Ubuntu Touch in this thread.   ***

All went well, and I have strong accurate GPS data according to the "SensorsStatus" app in the repository, but uNav, Pure Maps, or any other location based app will not find me.
***   Don't be a minion in the (i)droid army   ***
So ... after the most recent OTA update, which I do almost daily, my location based apps started working, however the GPS accuracy is now way off, about 5000 meters.
(10-01-2021, 03:04 PM)Fred Zyphal Wrote: So ... after the most recent OTA update, which I do almost daily, my location based apps started working, however the GPS accuracy is now way off, about 5000 meters.

If it's 5000 meters off it's probably not getting location from GPS - unless you're in one of the areas where people frequently operate GPS spoofing I suppose. More likely it's getting it from checking one of the databases for cell tower or wifi access point IDs via one of the geoclue location providers.
(10-05-2021, 03:29 AM)wibble Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 03:04 PM)Fred Zyphal Wrote: So ... after the most recent OTA update, which I do almost daily, my location based apps started working, however the GPS accuracy is now way off, about 5000 meters.

If it's 5000 meters off it's probably not getting location from GPS - unless you're in one of the areas where people frequently operate GPS spoofing I suppose. More likely it's getting it from checking one of the databases for cell tower or wifi access point IDs via one of the geoclue location providers.

You're right, the 5000 meters came from the accuracy report in the "SensorsStatus" app. from the repository, and uNav always puts me in one of two locations that are actually much further away, so they are both using IP location data of some sort, even though I've told them not to. When I manually enter the supposed GPS data to my desktop I get a location that's somewhat close to one of those two, but no where near where I am.

Everything seemed to go well when I followed Luke's instructions here, but obviously something is not right ... I think I'm going to re-flash, and try this again.
(10-10-2021, 11:01 AM)Fred Zyphal Wrote: Everything seemed to go well when I followed Luke's instructions here, but obviously something is not right ... I think I'm going to re-flash, and try this again.

Finally got around to trying this again ... re-flashed with latest build, set to development channel, did the updates, installed uNav and Pure Maps, followed Luke's instructions to the letter, everything went well, but no joy ... rebooted and re-did step 5, but still no joy ... IP location data only, but no GPS lock.
There's a report that reseating the midframe can help gps reception, presumably improving the connection between the spring contacts on the mainboard and the printed antenna on the midframe.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid102082

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Testing Crust Deep-sleep Luke 53 71,389 08-06-2020, 11:10 AM
Last Post: erikinkinen
  Testing and Donating jmasters 2 4,108 06-30-2020, 11:32 PM
Last Post: jmasters