What OS is the pinephone community edition os based on?
Hello all!

Just really wanted to ask a quick and simple question really. Does anyone know what os the pinephone/community edition os will be based on? I only ask as I was looking at a video on youtube ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MXOgb-U2jI

but as I watched something didn't quite seem right. Sure the phone is running ubuntu touch but something just well - it looked just a little bit "android-ish" if you can see what I mean. And lo and behold about 4 mins into the video I see in the file manager a directory called "Android". So .... is the pinephone similar to the Aquaris E5? That old phone ran ubuntu touch but you couldn't use it in the same way as "normal" ubuntu (you couldn't even run apt-get update was one of the comments I heard back at that time - !). And in the end it was revealed that "ubuntu" was just a re-jigged "ubuntu" running in an android chroot. It was pretty ..... terrible. :-( and you're still tied in to google spying and survellience.

https://ubuntu.com/blog/bq-launches-the-...tu-edition

So is the pinephone just running "ubuntu" in a chroot but quitely running android below that? Only reason I ask is I don't want yet-another android spy device and really don't want to get stung a second time (I did buy the E5 back in the day x.x ).

ljones
(05-16-2020, 06:05 PM)ljones Wrote: is the pinephone similar to the Aquaris E5?

It uses Mali 400, however the SoC used in the PinePhone is fully compatible with 64-bit (Cortex A53).

(05-16-2020, 06:05 PM)ljones Wrote: That old phone ran ubuntu touch but you couldn't use it in the same way as "normal" ubuntu (you couldn't even run apt-get update was one of the comments I heard back at that time - !)

The rootfs is made read only, however you can remount it as rw and do whatever you want, but this is not how you're supposed to update Ubuntu Touch, all updates are done via OTA and not via apt.

(05-16-2020, 06:05 PM)ljones Wrote: So is the pinephone just running "ubuntu" in a chroot but quitely running android below that?

No, it does not use Halium nor Android counterparts, everything is supported by the mainline Linux kernel.
Find me in the forest, when I'm at my lowest. I don't really think you should continue..

HOLD YOUR BREATH.
If you want real "real" Ubuntu you could do that as well. As far as I know there aren't any ready made images, though. The closest would be KDE Neon, which supplies current KDE packages on top of Ubuntu. If you want to port Ubuntu yourself I'd look at how it was done with Mobian. Basically you just need a recent kernel with some patches, u-boot and then set it up to boot into a graphical environment suited for touchscreen usage.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,107 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,524 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 461 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 383 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,602 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,668 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma