Internal installation of additional eMMC
I’m planning on purchasing a PBP. It’s one of the rare laptops that carry a processor without the inbuilt USA government backdoor like Intel’s Management Engine or AMD’s Platform (in)Security Processor.

PNB’s limited hardware specs of 4 GB RAM will have to do and the eMMC of 64 GB can be increased. After going through the forum it seems there is no possibility of ordering a PBP with an 128 GB eMMC pre-installed.

My question is if it is possible to install the additional 128 eMMC internally or if it can be installed in the SD card slot? I would be using the PBP while commuting so having an adapter like thing sticking out will be short lived as it will break off.
(05-14-2020, 09:40 AM)Besouro Wrote: I’m planning on purchasing a PBP. It’s one of the rare laptops that carry a processor without the inbuilt USA government backdoor like Intel’s Management Engine or AMD’s Platform (in)Security Processor.

PNB’s limited hardware specs of 4 GB RAM will have to do and the eMMC of 64 GB can be increased. After going through the forum it seems there is no possibility of ordering a PBP with an 128 GB eMMC pre-installed.

My question is if it is possible to install the additional 128 eMMC internally or if it can be installed in the SD card slot? I would be using the PBP while commuting so having an adapter like thing sticking out will be short lived as it will break off.

No, you can not install an additional eMMC internally. You CAN replace the 64GB eMMC module with a 128GB module.

There is a eMMC to USB adapter available on the Pine Store. Works okay.

You can also buy the optional NVMe adapter and use a NVMe SSD drive to expand internal storage. However, the NVMe SSD needs to be a lower power model. There are some listed on the Wiki that user's have tried, with varying results;

Wiki - Pinebook Pro - Hardware Accessory Compatibility: NVMe SSD drives

Last, you can get 512GB MiicroSD cards, (I personally have one and it works fine in my Pinebook Pro).
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Thanks for your elaborate answer. To increase internal storage I’ll purchase the NVMe adapter and a WD Black 250GB SN750 (the Toshiba OCZ RC 100 is no longer sold it seems).
Just to be sure that I understand all of this, the Pinebook Pro comes standard with a maximum of 64GB eMMC which can be increased to 128GB. Like Besouro, I had wanted the added storage to be installed when my PBP was delivered. However, as I was taking everything out of the DHL packaging, there was a plastic case with a PINE64 sticker on it and a line that reads: "SKU: 128G EMMC." If what I have read here is correct (and I can think of no reason to think otherwise), I will need to open the case, find the 64GB chip and put the new 128GB chip in that place. Is this correct?
Thank you.
James Good
I will need to open the case, find the 64GB chip and put the new 128GB chip in that place.  Is this correct?

Yes, and remember the 128GB chip does not have an OS on it so you will need install one after changing it out.
if you don't need fast storage, just use an sdcard and mount at /mnt/Data or something for extra data.

there are consequences using the nvme ssd, particularly increased power draw and lack of suspend. if those are fine for you, then go for it. it is 10x faster (!).
I wish hibernate worked. On most computers with flash storage, (SATA, eMMC or NVMe), saving the state to disk is perfectly fine. Plus, saves battery power. I mean, other than occasionally wanting instantaneous restore, reading RAM state from flash memory is fast enough. That's what I normally use for my laptops.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
i look forward to suspend and hibernate with nvme, too. for now i just change my workflow.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  256GB EMMC! sallyhaj 1 732 10-03-2023, 07:42 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  eMMC failed Dendrocalamus64 9 6,808 11-12-2021, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64
  Upgrade eMMC card - boot problems alpopa 0 2,239 09-16-2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: alpopa
  Replacement internal antenna? azuntik 6 7,708 09-09-2020, 10:07 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  128GB eMMC support dgkPBP 7 8,589 09-08-2020, 07:36 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Manjaro 20.06 requires multiple boots from eMMC to launch successfully on PBP Spectre 0 2,178 07-09-2020, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Spectre
  eMMC to USB adapter "very" slow at reading data talpa 3 5,170 07-08-2020, 08:55 AM
Last Post: talpa
  Soldering internal Wifi/Bluetooth antenna petet0n76 1 3,564 06-20-2020, 12:01 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot problems with new 128GB eMMC module Kareema 1 3,247 05-31-2020, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Kareema
Star Could you please add 128GB eMMC as a build option for this preorder? Dendrocalamus64 3 4,403 03-23-2020, 04:54 AM
Last Post: xmixahlx