Ubuntu Touch with OTA updates
yeah, this is a recent thing too. I've got a bunch of in order messages in the middle of my SMS threads, with new messages appearing on either side of them
hello all,

I just received my CE phone and I wanted to update the version and it said "Software is up to date".  I looked at the Update Settings and the only Channel is Stable and when it fetches channels nothing else shows up.
I thought that my original OS version did not have the OTA feature so I flash version 68 using jumpdrive and etcher.  When I went back to the Update Channel, only Stable shows up.
When I go to About, here is my information:
OS build number:
2020-06-18
UBPorts Image part:
20200618-19040
It does not look like version 68 flashed on the phone.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jeff
After a few weeks of usage with UBports, modem stopped working.
My suspicion is that it might have been broken by crust, since it doesn't work with other images either, and it was having issues for more than a week now (not starting after deep sleep). The other possibility is that it was faulty from the start, and it just died now.
I tried a factory test, and the modem test fails with a boot timeut.
Anyone else having these issues?
(07-11-2020, 12:41 PM)scoobyscrappy Wrote: hello all,

I just received my CE phone and I wanted to update the version and it said "Software is up to date".  I looked at the Update Settings and the only Channel is Stable and when it fetches channels nothing else shows up.
I thought that my original OS version did not have the OTA feature so I flash version 68 using jumpdrive and etcher.  When I went back to the Update Channel, only Stable shows up.
When I go to About, here is my information:
OS build number:
2020-06-18
UBPorts Image part:
20200618-19040
It does not look like version 68 flashed on the phone.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jeff
you could search on ubports forum, they did have a problem where everything you downloaded was the stable version and it would switch your choice back to Stable,Try disabling auto downloads for update , so that it only downloads what you choose and doesnt get jammed up, then try selecting stable/ dev version again, or get ubports on an sdcard and try it from there , OR put "jumpdrive " on an sdcard , download Ubports version you want on your PC extract it then use Balena Etcher to flash it
(07-12-2020, 11:54 PM)afigegoznaet Wrote: After a few weeks of usage with UBports, modem stopped working.
My suspicion is that it might have been broken by crust, since it doesn't work with other images either, and it was having issues for more than a week now (not starting after deep sleep). The other possibility is that it was faulty from the start, and it just died now.

Unfortunately that sounds like modem firmware corruption to me. Did you have any unusual shutdowns before it stopped working?

This is a known weak point of the EG25-G. It needs some time to shutdown before power is removed because the internal flash can end up in an invalid state. Why and how Qualcomm did this is beyond me, but it can't recover from a bad flash by itself.

IIRC there is a procedure for recovering a corrupted modem somewhere in the modem documentation but I don't know if the PinePhone is capable of doing it on its own (might require extra pins?). I might have a look at this and see what the exact details are.
(07-14-2020, 08:41 AM)Djhg2000 Wrote:
(07-12-2020, 11:54 PM)afigegoznaet Wrote: After a few weeks of usage with UBports, modem stopped working.

Unfortunately that sounds like modem firmware corruption to me. Did you have any unusual shutdowns before it stopped working?

This is a known weak point of the EG25-G. It needs some time to shutdown before power is removed because the internal flash can end up in an invalid state. Why and how Qualcomm did this is beyond me, but it can't recover from a bad flash by itself.

IIRC there is a procedure for recovering a corrupted modem somewhere in the modem documentation but I don't know if the PinePhone is capable of doing it on its own (might require extra pins?). I might have a look at this and see what the exact details are.
I've seen the modem come back alive today, but it's not visible anymore.
So I don't really know what to think.
Someone in the /hardware subforum suggested to write to Quectel customer support, maybe they can help with the firmware, so I did, and waiting for a response.
After some digging there seems to be a tool called QFirehose capable of flashing firmware to the EG25-G modem. It's a bit uncertain whether or not it's enough to recover from a bad shutdown but it might be worth asking about it.
(07-14-2020, 10:34 AM)Djhg2000 Wrote: After some digging there seems to be a tool called QFirehose capable of flashing firmware to the EG25-G modem. It's a bit uncertain whether or not it's enough to recover from a bad shutdown but it might be worth asking about it.
Thanks, I'll try to look it out.
I am loving the greatly improved power management!  I used to only get 3-4 hours (maybe) on a charge, but since installing the 07-04-20 version, I am getting up to 10 hours!  I find it funny though that even though I installed the update yesterday (07-19-20) my phone says last update was 12-31-69. Big Grin
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.
I did update my phone
still no camera
still no connection to pc
I assume the 1.2 version board does not have to be soldered to fix the issue for the pc
SD card also does not pick up
reckon its time to change a different flavor Os for the phone

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu Touch on Pine64 Rondarius 11 3,271 10-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Rondarius
  Ubuntu Touch vs Standard Pinephone OS MarsColonist 8 5,655 06-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Reinstall Ubuntu Touch on PinePhone with 10 drives? Peter Gamma 4 2,792 05-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  UB Touch build with debos layton-dev 0 2,225 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM
Last Post: layton-dev
  Whats the latest with UB touch? Cree 9 11,171 03-11-2021, 10:59 AM
Last Post: andybleaden@gmail.com
  UT move to Ubuntu 20.04 Concrete_panda 2 5,181 11-24-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: DrewTechs
  Horrible energy consume on Pinephone/UB-Touch firefox-58 9 11,485 10-15-2020, 12:28 PM
Last Post: plainenough
Star Updates stuck on stable channel. Cree 6 7,684 10-04-2020, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Giiba
  Pinephone 3G Bluetooth Working Pretty Well With Latest Mobian Updates rmcg 0 2,469 09-27-2020, 10:22 PM
Last Post: rmcg
  How to enable SSH on UBPorts Ubuntu Touch? eaglecup 12 19,817 09-15-2020, 03:42 PM
Last Post: voidmain