FM Radio
I was wondering if FM Radio is built in to pine phone?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/fm-...artphones/
It is not. However it should be possible to add a module for that via the expansion pogo pins on the back.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(04-22-2020, 08:54 AM)fire219 Wrote: It is not. However it should be possible to add a module for that via the expansion pogo pins on the back.

No, the expansion port can't pass audio.
(04-22-2020, 09:08 AM)drpi Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 08:54 AM)fire219 Wrote: It is not. However it should be possible to add a module for that via the expansion pogo pins on the back.

Correct, but it can do I2C, and I2C FM radio modules are pretty common.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(04-22-2020, 09:27 AM)fire219 Wrote:

I2C is for settings and RDS data. Audio has separate wires (left and right).
(04-22-2020, 03:34 AM)oxoocoffee Wrote: I was wondering if FM Radio is built in to pine phone?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/fm-...artphones/

Hi,

You can always hear online radio with shortwave app, installing it via flatpak.
(04-22-2020, 09:57 AM)drpi Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 09:27 AM)fire219 Wrote:

I2C is for settings and RDS data. Audio has separate wires (left and right).
Think of i2c pogo pins to an i2c FM radio chip/board the same as a serial cable on a 30 year old computer to an external voice modem, or even a poor person stuck with an Apple phone who uses an apple digital USB lightning port to audio-headphone dongle and it makes sense, you can push two(or many more) channels(stereo) of digital audio in the i2c stream along with control and other data and the phone pushes it to the OS and then out the DAC which is the phone's sound chip and then analog out to speakers or the headphone port.
[quote pid='92625' dateline='1617685532']
you can push two(or many more) channels(stereo) of digital audio in the i2c stream along with control and other data
[/quote]
This is a non-sense. I2C can't transport digital audio.
(04-06-2021, 03:05 PM)drpi Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 11:05 PM)biketool Wrote: you can push two(or many more) channels(stereo) of digital audio in the i2c stream along with control and other data
In theory there's enough bandwidth even on a standard mode bus for compressed audio, so it could be done. In practice so far as I know none of the FM radio chips don't support that, and there's no standard I've heard of for it. If either exist I'd be interested to learn more. I suspect there's some confusion between i2c which we're talking about here, and i2s which is commonly used for stereo audio.
(04-07-2021, 08:56 AM)wibble Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 03:05 PM)drpi Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 11:05 PM)biketool Wrote: you can push two(or many more) channels(stereo) of digital audio in the i2c stream along with control and other data
In theory there's enough bandwidth even on a standard mode bus for compressed audio, so it could be done. In practice so far as I know none of the FM radio chips don't support that, and there's no standard I've heard of for it. If either exist I'd be interested to learn more. I suspect there's some confusion between i2c which we're talking about here, and i2s which is commonly used for stereo audio.
I2C standard speed is 100kb/s. Not enough throughput for audio, even compressed (100kb/s is raw throughput, effective throughput is much less).
Fast speed is 400kb/s. Achieving 128kb/s compressed audio might be possible in theory.
But, keep in mind the bus is shared with other chips, and you have to find a way to do hard real time communication from user/kernel app.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any other ham radio folks here? - started a repeater app. programmin 7 8,460 06-25-2020, 10:51 PM
Last Post: programmin