Blood pressure estimation from heart rate sensor
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41746-019-0136-7#Sec9

I wondered how the original firmware was supposed to get blood pressure from the available sensors. Perhaps it was using one of the methods outlined in the link. Samsung's latest watch is claiming to measure blood pressure too, but needs calibration from a normal cuff at least every 4 weeks to maintain accuracy.
The blood pressure the original firmware showed for me was quite a bit different than the last measurement I had at my doctor's office. I assumed that when the original firmware was configured for this watch it was assumed the sensor had more or better features than it actually has. The sensor specs imply it can only read pulse.
This sounds great, but is it really safe to attach a RF emitting device to your body ? Just asking...
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(04-21-2020, 10:20 PM)bcnaz Wrote: This sounds great,  but is it really safe to attach a RF emitting device to your body ?   Just asking...

I'm calling Poe's Law on this one.
Would this work for detecting stress with PineTime's Heart Rate Sensor?

"Continuous Detection of Physiological Stress with Commodity Hardware"
https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3361562

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
(05-02-2020, 04:26 AM)lupyuen Wrote: Would this work for detecting stress with PineTime's Heart Rate Sensor?

"Continuous Detection of Physiological Stress with Commodity Hardware"
https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3361562

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Based on section 3.1.1 of the paper I don't think so - they're explicitly using an electrical chest mounted sensor not an optical wrist mounted sensor due to the greater accuracy. You'd have to do another study to see whether the optical sensor in the PineTime (or a better model in a production version?) was up to the job. You could of course use the PineTime to collect the data from the BLE chest sensor as well as the optical sensor. My guess is that the BPM would be similar if the wearer has the watch strap tight enough, but I've no idea whether there'd be an accurate proxy for the R-R measurement they talk about.

I've no particular expertise in this area - a while back a friend had to make a pulse oximeter as a university project and I read some of the reference material he had as it seemed interesting. It was enough to make me wonder how the stock software on the PineTime was getting oxygen saturation without a second colour of LED, let alone the blood pressure.
(04-21-2020, 10:20 PM)bcnaz Wrote: This sounds great,  but is it really safe to attach a RF emitting device to your body ?  Just asking...

Does the board have option for completely turning off bluetooth?
  I know some mini boards still emmit some rf even when off.
  Anybody test this on current pinetime?
(10-11-2020, 10:51 AM)bigpotato Wrote: Does the board have option for completely turning off bluetooth?
  I know some mini boards still emmit some rf even when off.
  Anybody test this on current pinetime?

Literally everything above 0K always emits.

What are you trying to actually solve?
(04-21-2020, 10:20 PM)bcnaz Wrote: This sounds great,  but is it really safe to attach a RF emitting device to your body ?  Just asking...

They stick Cochlear implants in children and they constantly transmit into the brain.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heart Rate and Accelerometer, ESP32, Arduino pinetimer 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:35 PM
Last Post: pinetimer
  bogus heart rate values samjam 1 2,124 08-23-2021, 09:13 AM
Last Post: wibble
  HRV and sp02 sensor bigpotato 15 19,059 06-21-2021, 09:14 AM
Last Post: danielt
  I don't like heart rate sensors. 11Eleven 6 9,002 11-22-2020, 09:42 PM
Last Post: evilbunny