Netflix, state of the art?
What's the current state of the art for getting Netflix running on various distros, (especially Manjaro)?

If anyone has a reproducible procedure, maybe we can make it public here?
I am currently looking for a solution for this.

I managed to get a docker container with an Armhf Version of Ubuntu running, which opens a new chromium window (because widevine is not supported for aarch64).
Just need to figure out how to install widevine in this docker image.

I'll keep you updated once I have a stable version.
@hthiemann , you may want to check out openSUSE's implementation for inspiration. Instead of docker, I believe openSUSE is setup with systemd-nspawn with the mrfixit's Debian image. I can't recall if Netflix was working there (it's been two months since I've last tried it) though it's something to take a look at.

Device: Pinebook Pro 128GB No:246 / MainOS: Manjaro ARM
Godot and Flutter - creating something can be fun with the right tools!
Another idea, (very speculative, probably dumb), would be to try this:

https://github.com/intoli/exodus

to relocate mrfixit's chromium and widevine.
Hi all,
I managed to get netflix working now. I am just currently lacking some fps (as HW accelaration seems to be unavailable for now). I will have a look into it today / tomorrow.

Will provide you with an update and instructions on how to use it as fast as possible.
(04-19-2020, 01:14 PM)hthiemann Wrote: Hi all,
I managed to get netflix working now. I am just currently lacking some fps (as HW accelaration seems to be unavailable for now). I will have a look into it today / tomorrow.

Will provide you with an update and instructions on how to use it as fast as possible.

That's great news! I'm sure  @Luke  and manjaro team members like @spikerguy   will be very interested in your solution.

Why doesn't Manjaro simply provide a 32 bit userland?
(04-19-2020, 05:42 PM)8-bit Wrote: Why doesn't Manjaro simply provide a 32 bit userland?

It's too much effort to maintain and support a second architecture. Having a two of everything isn't an attractive solution - more so when the prize is a small number of DRM services like Netflix.

With widevine, using a container is the best shot we have at something that can be maintained and functional.

(04-19-2020, 01:14 PM)hthiemann Wrote: Hi all,

Oh, this is great news. That means Spotify will work too right?
I'm eagerly awaiting your solution Smile
Currently hw accelaration is still a missing feature, but I thought I could share my current version with you - maybe someone has an idea how to fix this Smile

Please find my code and a detailled description here: https://github.com/HenningThiemann/docker-chromium-armhf

Essentially, you need to
  • enable XHost Forwarding to allow the docker container to spin up a new XFrame Window (xhost +local:docker)
  • create a new docker volume to persist your chromium settings (docker volume create chromium_home)
  • spin up the container with the following command
    docker run --rm --privileged \ -e DISPLAY=unix$DISPLAY \ -v chromium_home:/home \ -v /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix \ -v /dev:/dev -v /run:/run \ -v /etc/machine-id:/etc/machine-id \ --ipc=host \ hthiemann/docker-chromium-armhf

• Tested with netflix and spotify, both working 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Funny Conky like script to monitor your PBP state as400 1 3,192 08-19-2020, 12:57 PM
Last Post: xmixahlx
  Netflix on default Chromium/Debian MoonDog 8 9,907 01-28-2020, 04:58 AM
Last Post: simeon
  State of hibernate or hybrid-sleep? Arwen 5 7,249 11-21-2019, 07:51 AM
Last Post: tophneal