ZOOM Use on PBP
Howdy Folks, 

ZOOM would be a Great app to have on PBP, given the unfortunate Shelters in Place, but so far my attempts to start Zoom from urls in MeetUp.com draw a blank, and attempts to install a Zoom from Synaptics have found no Zoom.  Is there a Zoom app for PBP please, or must I continue to use cell Zoom when away from desk?  

PBP is now my favorite laptop, very easily carried, but it needs a Zoom.  

:-)
On my real Chromebook Zoom is a Chrome app. I haven’t tried the Chromium boot but maybe it can install Zoom as Chromium app as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(04-16-2020, 12:35 PM)jcj52436999 Wrote: Howdy Folks, 

ZOOM would be a Great app to have on PBP, given the unfortunate Shelters in Place, but so far my attempts to start Zoom from urls in MeetUp.com draw a blank, and attempts to install a Zoom from Synaptics have found no Zoom.  Is there a Zoom app for PBP please, or must I continue to use cell Zoom when away from desk?  

The pine cone key is the search for apps installed and in fact Zoom is available as an app to install.  I installed it in my Chromium boot SD and it took a while to check for it but in does download and install and run I haven\t tried attending meetings but it appears to bring up the meeting screen window.
Ne quid nimis

So I've been down this rabbit hole already. Aside from Anbox, it was one of the first things I attempted with my PBP.

The Chrome app, whether in Chrome on Linux or Chromium OS will not work. The Chrome app may download/install/"run" but it will never join a meeting. (If this has changed at all, please let us know! Zoom has a test page that will setup an empty meeting for you to connect and test audio/video.) We likely won't be seeing an official version of the desktop app available, either, as Zoom has focused development efforts on x86 only. They claim they will branch to other architectures if there is popular demand, but who knows how much weight that really carries.

The ONLY current way to use Zoom on the PBP is pretty annoying. Currently only the Android imgs for rkflashtool (on the wiki, but do not use the versions for specific SD sizes - they don't boot.) I tried through Anbox on Manjaro, as well, but the Android.img it uses is a bit shaky on the PBP and either needs repacked to allow use of the PBP peripherals, or a fresh one needs to be built and optimized for the PBP.

EDIT:
Since Zoom is somehow still in wide use (and unreliable on various distros,) I found this, where a staff member states they will develop/release an ARM Linux version with enough expressed interest. Hit 'em up! Let Zoom know there's a desire for an aarch64 option.
(04-16-2020, 12:50 PM)mtlemmonrunner Wrote: On my real Chromebook Zoom is a Chrome app.  I haven’t tried the Chromium boot but maybe it can install Zoom as Chromium app as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(04-16-2020, 12:35 PM)jcj52436999 Wrote: Howdy Folks, 

The pine cone key is the search for apps installed and in fact Zoom is available as an app to install.  I installed it in my Chromium boot SD and it took a while to check for it but in does download and install and run I haven\t tried attending meetings but it appears to bring up the meeting screen window.

I agree that there is presently NO Zoom app for PBP. I have looked in the “Acorn”, and in Synaptics Packages, and all over the web. I hear you all saying that there is No PBP Zoom, and I agree. Very irritating. Undecided
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but which video conferencing tools do work with the Pinebook Pro?
I have tried Jitsi, but without access to hardware video codec by the browser that's not usable.
I have Not yet found a video conferencing app that works from PBP, BUT the host use leader By Far in the present international sequester is Zoom. If one wishes to communicate at moment, one needs Zoom.
(04-16-2020, 05:15 PM)jiyong Wrote: Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but which video conferencing tools do work with the Pinebook Pro?
I have tried Jitsi, but without access to hardware video codec by the browser that's not usable.

Hi.
I have experimented a bit with Jitsi on Manjaro in the browser. Previously Chromium or one of it's siblings was required, but I just tried and Firefox now accesses the camera as well. You have to manually chose the USB Camera device and not the suggested one.
I will open a separate thread for this though.
Jitsi thread
I have used zoom successfully in Chromium on my PBP pro a couple of times. These were for webinars, so I didn't try to use the mic or camera, but the incoming video and sound via bluetooth worked great. This was with Gentoo as the OS.
Google meet works fine in Chrome OS on the PBP. I had my youngest do a video conference with her class last week.
Whereby [https://whereby.com] works, though I've had complaints about the quality produced by the PBP's microphone. I haven't yet figured out whether adjusting capture settings in alsamixer can help.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  zoom /video application guyaire 1 3,176 07-06-2020, 06:31 PM
Last Post: jiyong