Pinebook Pro structural integerity failing
Today I tried to open my pbp and after a few centimeters i noticed that something was wrong. The gap between the body and the lid was not parallel anymore. So I stopped and inspected the area around the hinges and found some cracks. I didn't close the lid, because this would add more stress to the components and removed the bottom cover. Soon plastic pieces and metal pieces fell out of the housing. As it turned out, I managed to rip one hinge completely out of its socket and the other one partially. Have a look at the pictures!
My pbp is an ISO model, which I received in November 2019. It never left my desk. I opened it once a day. And I handled it with care. Silicone spray was applied to the hinges, because I read about the issues other people had.
To open or close the hinges by hand now, I have to apply a lot of power. I'm not sure if the hinges are seized. Maybe they have to be that firm, because if you open and close the lid, you are using a long lever. Anyway, you put a lot of force through the hinge to the body and my pbp couldn't take it anymore.
I will contact support at pine64. I will keep you informed about their reaction.

Cheers!

.jpg   IMG_20200429_164952_small.jpg (Size: 441.25 KB / Downloads: 614)
.jpg   IMG_20200429_165136_small.jpg (Size: 452.03 KB / Downloads: 590)
(04-29-2020, 09:32 AM)vfr400racer Wrote: Today I tried to open my pbp and after a few centimeters i noticed that something was wrong. The gap between the body and the lid was not parallel anymore. So I stopped and inspected the area around the hinges and found some cracks. I didn't close the lid, because this would add more stress to the components and removed the bottom cover. Soon plastic pieces and metal pieces fell out of the housing. As it turned out, I managed to rip one hinge completely out of its socket and the other one partially. Have a look at the pictures!
My pbp is an ISO model, which I received in November 2019. It never left my desk. I opened it once a day. And I handled it with care. Silicone spray was applied to the hinges, because I read about the issues other people had.
To open or close the hinges by hand now, I have to apply a lot of power. I'm not sure if the hinges are seized. Maybe they have to be that firm, because if you open and close the lid, you are using a long lever. Anyway, you put a lot of force through the hinge to the body and my pbp couldn't take it anymore.
I will contact support at pine64. I will keep you informed about their reaction.

Cheers!

Yikes! I have the same model, and the more post like this I see the more nervous I get! I hope that if this turns out to be a defect with a lot of Pinebook Pro's that Pine64 will offer those with that model of Pinebook Pro a discount on the ANSI upgrade kit, as that would replace the parts that have been cracking on many people's PBP's. I think one of Pine64's monthly updates mentioned that the plastic in those is less brittle and that the upgrade kit would be posted in May.
P.S. How much did the silicone spray loosen up your PBP's hinges?
I guess it didn't loosen up the hinges. Hinges always operated smoothly. Applying silicone was more of a precautionary measure because of the things I read.
I got a response from sales@pine64.org:

Quote: We will open Pinebook Pro spare parts online order around May 7, 2020 and will be fulled in mid May, 2020.
Lightbulb 
The more I read about cracks in PBP's, the more I think that maybe the hinges in Pinebook Pros just are too stiff. I wouldn't mind a slightly looser screen if I knew my laptop wouldn't crack! Has anyone with the ANSI version experienced any cracks around the hinges?
P.S. I'm sure most people have already seen this, but the spare parts for the ISO Pinebook Pro have been posted in the store.
The palm case is the weak part.
I reenforced the palm case with Colad Magic Fix wherever it was needed. Put some powder on the weak spots an drop some glue on it.
I left the hinges screws out and fastened them with powder and glue. I also used some metal parts and fastened them on the case with Colad.

It is used in the car industry.
I'm happy again with my PBP.
To prevent breaking the casing again(I ripped the hinges out of the casing while opening the pbp), I modified the hinges! 
The hinges are constructed from two pieces of stainless steel. The inner part of the hinge is fixed in the display chassis and
the outer part is wound around the pin of the inner part and screws to the casing. There is nothing in between the two
parts and they can be pulled apart. I did this using pliers and it took pretty much force. I succeeded in seperating the hinges
in turning  the hinge from left to right while pulling. I wasn't sure if I would rip the hinge out of the display chassis, but
everything went fine. When i had separated the outer part of the hinge, I used a sharp and sturdy blade to bend it open.
It took a few tries of bending, but now it slides over the pin easily, but is still firm. So I expect my display to open very
easily once I get the replacement casing.
My PBP broke again; the hinges came completely off. The palmrest is of extremely inferior quality.
The little plastic that holds the connection from screen to motherboard broke in 4 little peaces.
Support @ pine can or will not help in any way.

Disappointed adieu.
(05-25-2020, 12:27 AM)hdk Wrote: My PBP broke again; the hinges came completely off. The palmrest is of extremely inferior quality.
The little plastic that holds the connection from screen to motherboard broke in 4 little peaces.

Disappointed adieu.

I bought a new one from the pine store. The recent ones are made of another plastic than the original ones. And they are only ~20USD.
(05-25-2020, 03:07 AM)vfr400racer Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 12:27 AM)hdk Wrote: My PBP broke again; the hinges came completely off. The palmrest is of extremely inferior quality.

Disappointed adieu.

I bought a new one from the pine store. The recent ones are made of another plastic than the original ones. And they are only ~20USD.
Yes, but with shipping to the US they cost more like $32   Sad . While I am waiting for my replacement part, I have tried to glue my Pinebook Pro's crack near the hinge multiple times (the crack is on the upper left hand side of the keyboard) with regular Loctite, but it seems that it isn't strong enough, as it has cracked multiple times. I have bought Loctite's Plastics Bonding System from Amazon, and when I get it I plan on applying the glue on both the top and bottom of the crack and hoping for the best. This whole plastics thing is ridiculous!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 237 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 219 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 201 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 141 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 524 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 579 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 2 1,754 01-11-2024, 01:07 AM
Last Post: winecork
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,133 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,943 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 58,783 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt