Pinebook Pro structural integerity failing
I will try that when I get a chance, thanks!
I've not experienced any issues, yet. But my PBPs are lightly used at present.

Just want to remind everyone that replacement parts, including keyboards with shell, (as the ISO & ANSI keyboards use different plastic shells), are expected to be made available. And that the original design has been modified already, so later models do have a better chance of a long life.

Ideally, the design will keep improving, with optional internal replacement parts, as well as chassis parts.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
I have submitted a help desk ticket! Now I just have to wait...
I have one PBP ISO  and one PBP ANSI,  I have not had any cracks appear yet.  (SEE revision below)
But I have seen quite a few other reports of these cracks appearing.
Perhaps a POLL  could help determine how to best resolve this ?
 It may be a design fault, but could also be a material supply problem.... ?
IF a very low percentage of PBP's have these problems it could lead to a different solution than if Most PBP's have this problem.

I MUST revise my statement :  the thin piece under the usb port, next to the 'power  port' has "cracked"  !
 I have been very gentle with it, and I have not ever used that usb port.  ?
Though I have had this PBP ISO apart ( carefully ) several times.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I'll chime in here since I managed to crack the casing around the outside of the screen in both corners, to the left and right of the bumpons in line with the camera. This probably happened within the first week of use and after the crack appeared in the left side the right followed shortly after.

I'll admit at the time I was a little disappointed, mostly at myself for being too rough with it but it's been a few months and minor superficial things like that don't really bother me. I also figured replacement parts may become available eventually if I felt like making it pristine again.
Support did indicate that I could inquire about the availability of an ANSI upgrade kit (which would replace the cracked parts) at sales@pine64.org, and maybe eventually I will buy one, but right now I am doing the next best thing-super glue! It sounds and looks a little crazy, but so far, all the cracks that I have seen have patched up nicely with it! I have been using Loctite super glue, and it holds great!
Is it possible that (insulated) metal replacements for the plastic body parts could be fabricated to increase durability?
Another thing that seems to relieve stress on the body of the PBP is putting a little graphite in the hinges, which makes the laptop easier to open and relieves stress on the body of the PBP.
(04-19-2020, 06:26 AM)TDC_PBP Wrote: Another thing that seems to relieve stress on the body of the PBP is putting a little graphite in the hinges, which makes the laptop easier to open and relieves stress on the body of the PBP.

Yeah,  some lubricant on the hinges may help prevent some of the other damages,
  sounds like a very good idea
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(04-19-2020, 06:52 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(04-19-2020, 06:26 AM)TDC_PBP Wrote: Another thing that seems to relieve stress on the body of the PBP is putting a little graphite in the hinges, which makes the laptop easier to open and relieves stress on the body of the PBP.

Yeah,  some lubricant on the hinges may help prevent some of the other damages,
  sounds like a very good idea

Sooo, at first it seemed that the graphite helped, but it never really got into the hinges well enough to make a big difference. I took apart my PBP again to reapply but put a spacer back in upside down...craaaack on the other side. And the extra graphite didn't even help... Anyway, I have been looking into different lubricants, but I can't figure out which is better for laptop hinges-This one (teflon): https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Non-Stick-...B00BCVXUVM . Or this one (teflon and silicon): https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Sil...r=8-9&th=1. Any ideas? Thank you so much for all the help and ideas so far!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 240 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 219 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 201 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 141 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 524 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 579 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 2 1,756 01-11-2024, 01:07 AM
Last Post: winecork
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,134 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,943 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 58,784 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt