wlr-randr PMOS + Phosh
Hey!

I'm trying to install wlr-randr to change the screen resolution on my pinephone. I'm referring to this thread and the two provided links by "nas", which are related to debian + phosh

I cloned wlr-randr from github
installed build-base

then I run
meson build in thdisplay guidee /wlr-randr directory

but it quits with the following error:

Code:
pinephone:~/wlr-randr$ meson build
The Meson build system
Version: 0.53.2
Source dir: /home/nieral/wlr-randr
Build dir: /home/nieral/wlr-randr/build
Build type: native build
Project name: wlr-randr
Project version: 0.0.0
C compiler for the host machine: cc (gcc 9.3.0 "cc (Alpine 9.3.0) 9.3.0")
C linker for the host machine: cc ld.bfd 2.34
Host machine cpu family: aarch64
Host machine cpu: aarch64
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wundef: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wlogical-op: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wmissing-include-dirs: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wold-style-definition: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wpointer-arith: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Winit-self: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wfloat-equal: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wstrict-prototypes: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wredundant-decls: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wimplicit-fallthrough=2: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wendif-labels: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wstrict-aliasing=2: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Woverflow: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wformat=2: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wno-missing-braces -Wmissing-braces: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wmissing-field-initializers: YES  
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wno-unused-parameter -Wunused-parameter: YES  
Found pkg-config: /usr/bin/pkg-config (1.6.3)
Found CMake: /usr/bin/cmake (3.17.0)
Run-time dependency wayland-client found: NO (tried pkgconfig and cmake)

meson.build:37:0: ERROR: Dependency "wayland-client" not found, tried pkgconfig and cmake

this is the output of the meson-build log:

Code:
Compiler for C supports arguments -Wno-unused-parameter -Wunused-parameter: YES
Pkg-config binary for MachineChoice.HOST is not cached.
Pkg-config binary missing from cross or native file, or env var undefined.
Trying a default pkg-config fallback at pkg-config
Trying pkg-config binary pkg-config for machine MachineChoice.HOST at ['/usr/bin/pkg-config']
Found pkg-config: /usr/bin/pkg-config (1.6.3)
Determining dependency 'wayland-client' with pkg-config executable '/usr/bin/pkg-config'
PKG_CONFIG_PATH:
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --modversion wayland-client` -> 1

CMake binary for MachineChoice.HOST is not cached
CMake binary missing from cross or native file, or env var undefined.
Trying a default CMake fallback at cmake
Trying CMake binary cmake for machine MachineChoice.HOST at ['/usr/bin/cmake']
Found CMake: /usr/bin/cmake (3.17.0)
Extracting basic cmake information
Try CMake generator: auto
No CXXFLAGS in the environment, not changing global flags.
No LDFLAGS in the environment, not changing global flags.
No CPPFLAGS in the environment, not changing global flags.
Failed to find a fortran compiler for CMake. This might cause CMake to fail.
Called `/usr/bin/cmake --trace-expand .` in /home/nieral/wlr-randr/build/meson-private/cmake_wayland>
 -- Module search paths:    ['/', '/opt', '/usr', '/usr/local']
 -- CMake root:             /usr/share/cmake
 -- CMake architectures:    []
 -- CMake lib search paths: ['lib', 'lib32', 'lib64', 'libx32', 'share']
Preliminary CMake check failed. Aborting.
Run-time dependency wayland-client found: NO (tried pkgconfig and cmake)

meson.build:37:0: ERROR: Dependency "wayland-client" not found, tried pkgconfig and cmake

Both pkg-config and cmake are installed on the system. I do not understand the error messages above concerning pkg-config, which, I assume, are the cause for the error:

Code:
Pkg-config binary missing from cross or native file, or env var undefined.

Any idea?

Changing the screen resolution seems to be the only practical way to make application fit the screen. Even the open/save dialogs from PM OS' Core apps are too large (the display guide on the pmOs wiki did not solve the scaling problems for me and is only applicable for qt apps).
Quote:Changing the screen resolution seems to be the only practical way to make application fit the screen. Even the open/save dialogs from PM OS' Core apps are too large (the display guide on the pmOs wiki did not solve the scaling problems for me and is only applicable for qt apps).

Agree. Could wlr-randr be included in the next build, please?
If you want a package available, you can always package it yourself and submit it either to our repositories or directly to the Alpine ones, it's not hard Wink

That said, I guess applications not fitting the screen on Phosh is mainly because we do not ship Purism's patches for GTK, so a lot of apps aren't responsive. We are considering shipping those patches for the first stable release of postmarketOS (well, at least I am), but we're not planning to ship them in the edge repos. Do note that the image you're using is for testing only, it's not considered ready for daily use, so things like this are to be expected.
(03-30-2020, 08:43 AM)PureTryOut Wrote: Do note that the image you're using is for testing only, it's not considered ready for daily use, so things like this are to be expected.

I'm aware of this fact and I do not expect things like these to work out of the box.

But do you have any idea to my initial problem with building meson (respectively wlr-randr) and the pkg-config issue?

Thx!
Well yes, the error tells you exactly what's wrong...

Code:
ERROR: Dependency "wayland-client" not found

Meaning, wayland-client is not installed. If you search through the Alpine package index, there is a package for it. https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/packages?na...rch=x86_64
Just add that to the makedepends (or possible just depends, but you'll have to figure that out for yourself).
(03-31-2020, 01:41 AM)PureTryOut Wrote: Well yes, the error tells you exactly what's wrong...

Code:
ERROR: Dependency "wayland-client" not found

Meaning, wayland-client is not installed. If you search through the Alpine package index, there is a package for it. https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/packages?na...rch=x86_64
Just add that to the makedepends (or possible just depends, but you'll have to figure that out for yourself).

Thank you! will give it a try!
I'm sorry but wlr-randr isn't going to work on the pinephone (and most other phones), the display doesn't have a scaler and can't run at another resolution.

The only thing you can really do is change the scaling of the compositor which makes things harder to touch but fixes the things that are too large to fit on screen.

That can be done by editing /etc/phosh/rootston.ini, there should be scale setting in that file.
Ok. Thank you for this information.

Wayland-libs- client was installed btw. Will mark this as solved.
(04-01-2020, 05:59 PM)MartijnBraam Wrote: That can be done by editing /etc/phosh/rootston.ini, there should be scale setting in that file.

So, strange thing: There is no "/etc/phosh/" subfolder, although "phosh-0.2.1-r0" is installed on the system.
(04-03-2020, 01:51 AM)nieral Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 05:59 PM)MartijnBraam Wrote: That can be done by editing /etc/phosh/rootston.ini, there should be scale setting in that file.

So, strange thing: There is no "/etc/phosh/" subfolder, although "phosh-0.2.1-r0" is installed on the system.

I found it in /usr/share/phosh/rootston.ini

If you change

Code:
[output:DSI-1]
scale = 2

to 1 or 1.5, you get a higher screen resolution.

However, some screen elements seem to flicker slightly and not everything is distributed optimally. For instance, the keyboard is now narrower than the screen width.

Nevertheless, I consider this a huge improvement!

Martijn, you put out a gnome version of PMOS at the end of February, but this was also lowres, with elements running off the screen. Is there a similar setting to tweak it? I searched but could not find one.

Many thanks for what you have done so far!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fresh install pmos+phosh does not boot user641 1 427 10-08-2023, 04:04 AM
Last Post: user641
  [Not Pinephone] Phosh Autologin LienRag 11 1,842 09-01-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Boots To Shell After Dead Battery (PMOS) britelite 0 667 02-17-2023, 02:41 PM
Last Post: britelite
  No Application Data PMOS 21.12.1 Captain1ndustry 4 3,701 08-12-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Gon
  pmos/phosh edge update and audio disappears robthebold 9 5,233 07-10-2022, 03:26 AM
Last Post: arkadione
  How to delete single sms in phosh? bircoph 1 1,288 07-06-2022, 08:10 AM
Last Post: bircoph
  no screen rotation on pinephone pro with postmarketOS + phosh elode 2 2,575 07-03-2022, 09:13 AM
Last Post: a.h.littorin
  closing apps rather than leaving them running (phosh) lordearl 7 5,961 02-03-2022, 09:14 PM
Last Post: parry
  Application list PMOS-Phosh jmorris 6 5,924 12-04-2021, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Juergen
  Phosh beta 10, no send button on Chatty? Rainer 0 1,583 05-24-2021, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Rainer