Boot Up Problem - Red LED goes Out
Hi,

Having problems with my first boot up.

Have tried Debian and Ubuntu boots on 8G and 16G SD Cards.

Monitoring the boot up on the serial port, I consistently get to the line 

[   13.858918] systemd[1]: Set hostname to <debianpine64>.

But at this point, the Red LED on the Power supply goes out and the boot process stops.  It seems like the power supply is shutting down for some reason - I am guessing.  I am using the same power supply that runs a Raspberry Pi 3, so the supply is pretty good.

Anybody else had this issue?  or is there anything else I should be looking for in the boot log?

Barry
(05-05-2016, 02:12 AM)hay.barry Wrote: Having problems with my first boot up.

There are exactly no problems known. So don't even think about that your PSU might only provide 500mA, that RPi3 can better cope with that and return the unit for a replacement.
I actually have that same issue if my Ethernet cable is plugged in .. If I boot without it, it goes right to the login page . Ifi boot with the cable plugged in it shuts off.. I'm figuring it a Power issues and will get a better power supply to see if it fixes this issue
Do you have the original Pi3 psu?

[edit] It is, in all likelihood, a PSU issue - the official FAQ states ''The board is powered by +5v microUSB port. Exactly how much power is required, in terms of current. (mA), is depending on what you hook up to the board. An official 2.0A (2000mA) power supply is available at the Pine64 store with ample power to run the board for most applications.''
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Thanks for the hints. Found the problem - it was the USB cable. Replacing the cable solved the problem
(05-07-2016, 06:01 PM)hay.barry Wrote: Thanks for the hints.  Found the problem - it was the USB cable.  Replacing the cable solved the problem

The power USB Cable ?

Hi, I got my Pine A64+ 1GB with a Wi-Fi add on card. I bought an INR 300 worth duplicate Samsung power adapter rated 5V 2.0A. I also bought an 8GB Sandisk Micro SD Card Class 4. I am having following issues: 1. The default image for an 8GB SD Card on the Pine64 downloads link is not getting written on the SD Card. I tried with Win32 Disk Writer tool and it kept saying that the image size is more than the SD Card size. The SD Card when formatted under Windows 7 shows usable space of 7.2 GB. I then had to use the Phoenix Image and used the Phoenix Card utility to do the Android 5.1 image burn. It was successful. 2. After the first boot into Android the board, I configured my Wi-Fi and connected to the internet. I connected a wired mouse and keyboard. Downloaded Youtube. As soon I clicked to play the YouTube app the screen went blank. The HDMI signal for still there but nothing was happening. I re-booted the device by powering off and on. This time it showed me a message that Android apps are being optimized during boot. Few minuted after the boot the device turned off automatically. No mouse or keyboard was connected. I re-did the SD card with a fresh Android image but now I am having random screen going blank or the power LED itself going off after few minutes into the boot. I touched and realized that the A64 microprocessor was hot. Kindly provide me inputs in solving this, as I am already considering this as a failed investment. Also can you give details of the adapter that you are using Make, Model, Link to Buy and Price in India/Mumbai. This may be a power issue, but I am not sure. Please help. PS: It was dumb of me to buy the 1GB version, since later while searching the images I read that the Remix OS is suited for the 2GB version and will lag in performance on the 1GB model. Damn shame.
(07-28-2016, 01:42 PM)Mohit B Wrote:
(05-07-2016, 06:01 PM)hay.barry Wrote: Thanks for the hints.  Found the problem - it was the USB cable.  Replacing the cable solved the problem

The power USB Cable ?

Hi, I got my Pine A64+ 1GB with a Wi-Fi add on card. I bought an INR 300 worth duplicate Samsung power adapter rated 5V 2.0A. I also bought an 8GB Sandisk Micro SD Card Class 4. I am having following issues: 1. The default image for an 8GB SD Card on the Pine64 downloads link is not getting written on the SD Card. I tried with Win32 Disk Writer tool and it kept saying that the image size is more than the SD Card size. The SD Card when formatted under Windows 7 shows usable space of 7.2 GB. I then had to use the Phoenix Image and used the Phoenix Card utility to do the Android 5.1 image burn. It was successful. 2. After the first boot into Android the board, I configured my Wi-Fi and connected to the internet. I connected a wired mouse and keyboard. Downloaded Youtube. As soon I clicked to play the YouTube app the screen went blank. The HDMI signal for still there but nothing was happening. I re-booted the device by powering off and on. This time it showed me a message that Android apps are being optimized during boot. Few minuted after the boot the device turned off automatically. No mouse or keyboard was connected. I re-did the SD card with a fresh Android image but now I am having random screen going blank or the power LED itself going off after few minutes into the boot. I touched and realized that the A64 microprocessor was hot. Kindly provide me inputs in solving this, as I am already considering this as a failed investment. Also can you give details of the adapter that you are using Make, Model, Link to Buy and Price in India/Mumbai. This may be a power issue, but I am not sure. Please help. PS: It was dumb of me to buy the 1GB version, since later while searching the images I read that the Remix OS is suited for the 2GB version and will lag in performance on the 1GB model. Damn shame.

See my reply to this message in the other thread you posted it in, here.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New RockPro64 Power Up Problem enorbet2 7 4,784 10-28-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: dkebler
  Boot Ox64 after SPI Flash IC replacement kotnitro 1 1,057 05-26-2023, 02:19 AM
Last Post: kotnitro
  Star64 first boot (and success) bortzmeyer 1 1,491 05-24-2023, 02:45 AM
Last Post: draintroup
Exclamation Quartz64 model a wont boot AndyNZAUS 0 1,484 09-13-2022, 06:35 AM
Last Post: AndyNZAUS
  Maximum size of boot MicroSD for RockPro64 and Pinebook Pro commiecam 0 1,644 08-07-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: commiecam
  dependency problem cerno 4 4,784 05-07-2021, 08:18 AM
Last Post: cerno
  How to boot from SD card on pinebook pro linux123 3 5,949 12-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: linux123
Lightbulb Live boot with persistence? r00tn3rd 1 3,173 10-23-2020, 01:30 AM
Last Post: HotChocolate
  Occasional boot toiny 0 2,103 10-18-2020, 01:41 PM
Last Post: toiny
  SD Card boot - trying out OS Baconomics 1 4,286 06-19-2020, 06:58 AM
Last Post: tophneal