Internal Display issues
I received my heavily anticipated PBP on Monday. I've had a great time learning about ROCK64 and the differences needed to work on this platform vs x86 and x64

I've followed a few guides and tested out a few of the images (Debian, Bionic Mate, Manjaro). I have Manjaro currently loaded on eMMC. I'd like to continue to test other images via SD cards. 

I loaded the Chromium image on a known working card with the PBP and used Etcher to write the image. It appeared to load fine but no internal display. Video output was not there. I had a similar issue when tested the Bionic Mate image and found that if I connected to a monitor via USBC I would get a display there but not on the internal laptop. Same issue with Chromium. 

Is there a known issue when switching between images and boot options where the internal display does not function? 

Thanks all, Great community here.
That's odd. I haven't seen that behavior in the original Chromium build. Have you tried any of brent's Chromium images? They can be found in the community CrOS build thread. The mainline one isn't ready for use yet, but the others work pretty well (though, I think 1 or 2 don't have functional Widevine.
Received PBP also last week.  Ran into similar issues With Chromium and Ubuntu Bionic based images (Mate and LXDE).
External display works just fine but built-in screen is blank. Could not find way how to fix.
experiencing the same thing with the new bionic install ..internal display just blank
I tried the version on the wiki and v79 and v77 from @brent.thierens
I get the start-up sound but neither give me video on the PBP internal display.
I do not have a USB-C to HDMI convertor so I guess Chromium is a no-go for me?
That's strange, since nog everyone of us has the same problem. I will try as well, since lately I also have blank screens while @tophneal does not... Maybe something uboot related? I'll try to check if the old images still work for me and get back to you, but I'm fairly busy at the moment Smile
seems like a dts problem and/or boot argument config issue.
Well this is interesting. The image you downloaded is definitely fine. I flashed it on an SD-card and I only saw the backlight going on. I also heard the CrOS welcome sound. No screen though...
I then downloaded the files from here: https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_r...filesystem since I knew this image worked before. I flashed that to my main drive (the internal eMMC, NOT the SD card where CrOS resides) and the system booted up fine! So in my opinion, it seems like a uboot issue on the eMMC from your main OS (Manjaro by any chance?) Maybe @spikerguy can give some clarity why the Manjaro uboot is different from the one above.

So in short: flash the old uboot from the link above to your main boot drive and all is fine, you can test CrOS. Hope this helps @Eight Bit Smile

PS: Manjaro still boots up fine (although slower) with the older uboot.
(04-14-2020, 05:16 AM)brent.thierens Wrote: Well this is interesting. The image you downloaded is definitely fine. I flashed it on an SD-card and I only saw the backlight going on. I also heard the CrOS welcome sound. No screen though...
I then downloaded the files from here: https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_r...filesystem since I knew this image worked before. I flashed that to my main drive (the internal eMMC, NOT the SD card where CrOS resides) and the system booted up fine! So in my opinion, it seems like a uboot issue on the eMMC from your main OS (Manjaro by any chance?) Maybe @spikerguy can give some clarity why the Manjaro uboot is different from the one above.

So in short: flash the old uboot from the link above to your main boot drive and all is fine, you can test CrOS. Hope this helps @Eight Bit  Smile

PS: Manjaro still boots up fine (although slower) with the older uboot.

You probably nailed it here! Months ago, Manjaro switched over to mainline u-boot once it was reliable and fixed to reorder boot priority.
Indeed, but I thought the device tree etc was loaded by the kernel, not by uboot. Even if it is loaded by uboot, Manjaro does not have display issues, so I don't really see where the problem comes from...
Anyway, for now it has been fixed.