HDMI
Thank you all for replying and explaining. You've been very helpful.
And thank you Arwen.

Seems "alternate mode" isn't a term that is used when retailers market USBC to HDMI cables, partially why this was confusing as I did start of by searching for it. I'll have to email some retailers and ask for help selecting the correct cables.
Thank you all again!
Got myself a USBC with alt mode the other day and video out worked without any problems, except running the HDMI to a 21:9 screen PBP wants to set the same display resolution to the 21:9 monitor as for the PBP screen which then becomes stretched. There are no other modes to choose from in the list of resolutions, so I'm wondering if its possible to set a custom resolution for the 21:9 screen somehow by hand?
are you intending to mirror or extending the display?
(03-30-2020, 08:19 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: are you intending to mirror or extending the display?

I'm trying to extend it.
Bump Smile
It's my impression that a lot of monitors (and maybe TVs as well?) support DisplayPort nowadays.  If that's true, you (anyone wanting to hook a PBP to an external monitor) should double-check to see if the monitor supports DisplayPort.  A PBP-compatible USBC-to-DisplayPort cable/adapter should be a good bit cheaper than a PBP-compatible USBC-to-HDMI adapter, right?
(04-03-2020, 08:54 PM)bsammon Wrote: It's my impression that a lot of monitors (and maybe TVs as well?) support DisplayPort nowadays.  If that's true, you (anyone wanting to hook a PBP to an external monitor) should double-check to see if the monitor supports DisplayPort.  A PBP-compatible USBC-to-DisplayPort cable/adapter should be a good bit cheaper than a PBP-compatible USBC-to-HDMI adapter, right?

Personally I only have HDMI inputs on my monitor.
Don't know about cheaper. Got my USBC->HDMI alt-mode cable for about the equivalent of $20. That's not to bad, but may be Pine64 should carry this type of cable in their store so that n00bs like me don't have to make the mistake of first ordering a cable without alt-mode Smile. Also, alt-mode cables are not very common it seems, lots of stores put way higher prices on them compared to regular USBC->HDMI cables.
(04-04-2020, 05:50 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 08:54 PM)bsammon Wrote: It's my impression that a lot of monitors (and maybe TVs as well?) support DisplayPort nowadays.  If that's true, you (anyone wanting to hook a PBP to an external monitor) should double-check to see if the monitor supports DisplayPort.  A PBP-compatible USBC-to-DisplayPort cable/adapter should be a good bit cheaper than a PBP-compatible USBC-to-HDMI adapter, right?

Don't know about cheaper. Got my USBC->HDMI alt-mode cable for about the equivalent of $20. That's not to bad, but may be Pine64 should carry this type of cable in their store so that n00bs like me don't have to make the mistake of first ordering a cable without alt-mode Smile. Also, alt-mode cables are not very common it seems, lots of stores put way higher prices on them compared to regular USBC->HDMI cables.

Yeah, that fits what I read earlier in this thread.  What you call a "alt-mode cable" is a "alt-mode-displayport to HDMI" converter.  That requires circuitry (i.e integrated circuit chips) to convert the displayport signal to HDMI.
A "regular USBC->HDMI" cable is just a cable adapter that just puts all the wires in the right places, and shouldn't require any complex circuitry.  It connects "alt-mode HDMI" (which the PBP doesn't do) to regular HDMI.

This wikipedia link may be useful:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C#Alte...ifications
(04-04-2020, 12:48 PM)bsammon Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 05:50 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote:

Yeah, that fits what I read earlier in this thread.  What you call a "alt-mode cable" is a "alt-mode-displayport to HDMI" converter.  That requires circuitry (i.e integrated circuit chips) to convert the displayport signal to HDMI.
A "regular USBC->HDMI" cable is just a cable adapter that just puts all the wires in the right places, and shouldn't require any complex circuitry.  It connects "alt-mode HDMI" (which the PBP doesn't do) to regular HDMI.

This wikipedia link may be useful:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C#Alte...ifications

Ok, that explains why the HDMI connector is so bulky.
I tried following these instructions: https://askubuntu.com/questions/377937/h...ion#377944

Screen resolution gets all weird.
Added screenshot of PBP standard resolution, and another where the custom resolution has been added. Does anyone understand why this happens?

Attached Files
.png   screen1.png (Size: 92.71 KB / Downloads: 324)
.png   screen2.png (Size: 94.1 KB / Downloads: 339)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Broken usb-c to hdmi with kernel 5.18+ rfm83 6 2,685 01-22-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: rfm83
  No audio from HDMI with usb-c adapter rfm83 5 2,884 06-19-2022, 09:06 PM
Last Post: rfm83
  USB-C Dock with HDMI no output coolmule 2 3,694 06-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Last Post: axel
  USBC -> HDMI Success! mamboman777 0 1,784 01-21-2020, 09:16 PM
Last Post: mamboman777