HDMI
Are there currently issues with Manjaro and USBC -> HDMI ?
I've got a USBC to HDMI (capable of 90Hz 4K). Connecting it to my monitor, nothing happens besides I get options of what type of video out I want (mirroring etc). When I try to plug it into the TV, the Pinebook pro screen starts to kind of flash and I also get the options on video out but the same result there, no video out.

I've ordered the USBC to HDMI cable just for the Pinebook, I've got no other devices to test it out on to ensure that there is no problem with the cable unfortunately.
no sound yet, but video works. especially well on newest kernels.
Hm, okay.
Does it make any difference what type of USBC->HDMI is used? As I get no video.
yes. it requires displayport alternate mode, as described in the wiki. i added my cable matters usbc>hdmi sku to the compatibility list.
wiki is good start, and also there were already some posts about this so search could help you

Port Adapters for PBP — Ethernet, HDMI, etc.
USB-C dock
(03-18-2020, 12:51 AM)vrabac Wrote: wiki is good start, and also there were already some posts about this so search could help you

USB-C dock

Oh, I see, so from what I understand I can not connect the PBP to any HDMI monitor.. thats a real shame.

Where it says "USB C alternate mode DisplayPort"

I'm completely unfamiliar with using USBC as video out. The "alternate mode" confuses me, would any monitor that takes USBC for video work or is there emphasis on "alternate mode" ?
Would for example this monitor work with video out on PBP? https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM69...de-monitor
it is not about monitor but about usb-c to hdmi cable which should be the right one. I used to connect over same cable to my TV (hdmi input)..
"displayport alternate mode" is the standard, but it can output to an hdmi connector. so you want a usbc>hdmi adapter with displayport alternate mode.

i see how this is confusing...
(03-18-2020, 05:12 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 12:51 AM)vrabac Wrote: wiki is good start, and also there were already some posts about this so search could help you

USB-C dock

Oh, I see, so from what I understand I can not connect the PBP to any HDMI monitor.. thats a real shame.

Where it says "USB C alternate mode DisplayPort"

I'm completely unfamiliar with using USBC as video out. The "alternate mode" confuses me, would any monitor that takes USBC for video work or is there emphasis on "alternate mode" ?
When "USB C alternate mode" for displays came out, the first was for "DisplayPort" type electrical signals. Since it was first, (and DisplayPort has reasonable features), it then became the most popular.

Over time, "USB C alternate mode HDMI" came out, but is not very popular. In our case, we have to use what the Pinebook Pro SoC, (System on a Chip), supplies, which is "USB C alternate mode DisplayPort".

There are PLENTY of "USB C alternate mode DisplayPort" devices that have a HDMI connector. They simply convert from DisplayPort electrical signals to HDMI signals, (aka active translator). The USB C docking / hub that I bought, has both DisplayPort and HDMI connectors. Have not tried the HDMI connector, but it should work fine.

@GloriousCoffee - Hopefuilly this helps clear things up, if the prior responses did not. (And for anyone else reading this later...)

(03-18-2020, 08:53 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote: Would for example this monitor work with video out on PBP? https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM69...de-monitor
Yes, this would likely work. Either directly as "USB C alternate mode DisplayPort" with USB C to USB C cable, or using a video converter cable. (USB C alternate mode DisplayPort to DisplayPort connector, or HDMI connector.)

Just note that a monitor larger than 1080p may need higher bandwidth. This is possible, but you may end up sacrificing USB 3 ports. (USB 2 would still be available). Basically you don't get larger screens for free. Not enough bandwidth on 2 DisplayPort lanes. So it may need 4 lanes, replacing the USB 3 port.

This is somewhat hard to explain. I wish we had a table of what is and is not supported. The Wiki is a good start for our specific use.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Broken usb-c to hdmi with kernel 5.18+ rfm83 6 2,690 01-22-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: rfm83
  No audio from HDMI with usb-c adapter rfm83 5 2,885 06-19-2022, 09:06 PM
Last Post: rfm83
  USB-C Dock with HDMI no output coolmule 2 3,695 06-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Last Post: axel
  USBC -> HDMI Success! mamboman777 0 1,786 01-21-2020, 09:16 PM