Manjaro and Arch repository with privacy oriented software
(03-17-2020, 01:22 PM)as400 Wrote: I would like to invite all of you to the site and repo we have created recently.
Having noticed that some privacy oriented software was not easily available, we started to prepare, build and provide some of it with this repository. This makes it easy to install and upgrade these applications without having to build them yourself.

As for now there is Ungoogled Chromium (caidao) and LibreWolf (librewolf) available. But stay tuned, there will be more.
More information (including how to use it) available on https://privacyshark.zero-credibility.net/

Ale the credits for the work go to @llsf with my little help.

Edit 01.08.2020

What we have now:

1. Caidao - ungoogled Chromium
2. LibreWolf - browser based on Firefox with more than 500 privacy/security/performance settings, patches.
3. Signal desktop.
4. Ferdi Messenger - more info at https://getferdi.com/.
5. Teams-for-linux - unofficial client for MS Teams - https://github.com/IsmaelMartinez/teams-for-linux.
6. lrzip-git - A compression utility that excels at compressing large files - https://github.com/ckolivas/lrzip.
7. uhk-agent - https://github.com/UltimateHackingKeyboard/agent
8. Bitwarden - Open Source password Manager
9. Hamsket - Open Source and Cross Platform messaging and emailing app
10. Jitsi Meet Desktop - Open Source Video Calls and chat
11. Standardnotes - Open Source, and completely encrypted notes app

Any idea on how to get or whether you're planning to add protonmail bridge / Tor browser / cryptomator / veracrypt?
Some of them have AUR repos but their installation fails for various incompatibility reasons.

Thanks
Last time I checked, at least veracrypt could be built directly from the Arch upstream PKGBUILD.

=> https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10924

So including veracrypt as a prebuilt package in the repo shouldn't be much of an issue.

w/r to the other packages: I'll look into their feasibility and get back to you on that ^^
(10-24-2020, 01:44 PM)llsf Wrote: Last time I checked, at least veracrypt could be built directly from the Arch upstream PKGBUILD.

=> https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10924

So including veracrypt as a prebuilt package in the repo shouldn't be much of an issue.

w/r to the other packages: I'll look into their feasibility and get back to you on that ^^

Protonmail bridge mention that the PKGBUILD should work on Arch and Manjaro - do you think it's something I can simply do or does it require modifications to be able to run on PBP?
I kind of need it urgently so I'm trying to see what's the best way to proceed with that...
Thanks!
@llsf Hey! Trying to update to signal-desktop-1.37.2-1 on the pinebook pro, and getting the following:

Code:
error: failed retrieving file 'signal-desktop-1.37.2-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.zst' from privacyshark.zero-credibility.net : The requested URL returned error: 404

Something wrong with the file location or something? Are you the right person to reach out to forr this, or is it @as400's department? Either way, thanks for the great work on this! Let me know if I can provide any more info!

P.S. is there a better place to reach out for stuff like this than this forum thread?
@TheBackburner - thanks. I'll take a look at this.

I have no idea what's the problem as on my computer it just works ok.
Are you behind some sort of proxy ?

BTW - After the newest Quaternion update, if you have problems starting the app, it might be necessary to remove:

- .config/quaternion.conf
- .config/Quotient
@TheBackburner sorry about that, I cleaned up some older files on the server and seem to have removed the new signal package instead of the old one. Should be fixed now.

I guess this is the right place to ask such questions, btw :)

@pineitup  

protonmail-bridge-nogui from the AUR seems to build fine (using --ignorepkg when building, or by adding aarch64 to the arch-array in the PKGBUILD).

The build process for the gui-version of protonmail-bridge is horrible, though (qtdeploy, which is used, seems to ignore quite a few pathes and seems to rely on some semi-hardcoded pathes to tools). Didn't manage to work around this yet, so you might have to rely on the nogui-version for the time being.
(10-27-2020, 05:01 PM)llsf Wrote: @TheBackburner sorry about that, I cleaned up some older files on the server and seem to have removed the new signal package instead of the old one. Should be fixed now.

I guess this is the right place to ask such questions, btw Smile

@pineitup  

protonmail-bridge-nogui from the AUR seems to build fine (using --ignorepkg when building, or by adding aarch64 to the arch-array in the PKGBUILD).

The build process for the gui-version of protonmail-bridge is horrible, though (qtdeploy, which is used, seems to ignore quite a few pathes and seems to rely on some semi-hardcoded pathes to tools). Didn't manage to work around this yet, so you might have to rely on the nogui-version for the time being.
Thanks! So I managed to install the nogui version, and other than odd warnings it appears to be working at least with receiving emails. The warnings are:
in the proton cli as output for check i (which is supposed to check the internet connection):
Code:
>>> check i
Connection security error: Your network connection to Proton services may
be insecure.

Description:
ProtonMail Bridge was not able to establish a secure connection to Proton
servers due to a TLS certificate error. This means your connection may
potentially be insecure and susceptible to monitoring by third parties.

Recommendation:
* If you trust your network operator, you can continue to use ProtonMail
  as usual.
* If you don't trust your network operator, reconnect to ProtonMail over a VPN
  (such as ProtonVPN) which encrypts your Internet connection, or use
  a different network to access ProtonMail.

Failed to obtain reader, failed to marshal fields to JSON, json: unsupported type: func() (io.ReadCloser, error)
Failed to obtain reader, failed to marshal fields to JSON, json: unsupported type: func() (io.ReadCloser, error)
while thunderbird complained about something with the certificates and seld signing of certificates. Does it ring a bell or is my whole setup compromised? And btw - it appears that the cli program has to run at all times if I want to send/receive emails? I thought I need to run the cli just fo set things up, but the emails don't go through when it's not running. Isn't it a bit crazy to have to run the proton vpn cli and the protonmail bridge cli every time I turn on my machine?

I also tried installing electronmail - the proton mail+contacts+calendar client, but it fails because of some gconf dependency that can't be satisfied:
Code:
[USER electronmail-bin]$ makepkg -si
==> Making package: electronmail-bin 4.8.0-1 (Sun 01 Nov 2020 08:32:10 PM EST)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Installing missing dependencies...
[sudo] password for pinez:
error: target not found: gconf
==> ERROR: 'pacman' failed to install missing dependencies.
==> Missing dependencies:
  -> gconf
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> ERROR: Could not resolve all dependencies.
Thanks for your help!
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you; I'm still pretty swamped with work.

The error doesn't seem to be indicative of a compromise – it looks more like an odd go error causing the validation to fail, not an actual certificate issue. But take that with a grain of salt, I'll need to look into that a bit more.

The gconf-dependency is most probably obsolete, but I'd assume electronmail-bin won't work anyway, because, well, it's a '-bin'-package – most probably precompiled for x86_64.

--

I'm not currently using protonmail myself, so I'll have to dig out my old account credentials first before I can look into all this – I'll do that and get back to you as soon as I can Smile
Just want to say Thank You so much for this work! I am happily using SIgnal and Lrzip now.

Any idea if these will also work on the PinePhone with KDE? I am on the PinePhone with Arch/Phosh now, and although it's better than the Ubuntu build, it's still not quite good enough, so I'm considering moving to the Manjaro version there. Different chipset, of course, it's the Allwinner, rather than the Rockchip, so I have doubts that a pre-compiled binary would work across the two platforms. But I can always hope Smile
@Phillip Bell both devices are aarch64 architecture so things should work.
But if Signal is an electron application it will be slow, memory hungry and probably not mobile screen optimized.

As to the Plasma Mobile - for now it looks great but it's painfully slow compared to Phosh. I tried KDE Neon two days ago.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 165 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,604 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 212 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  By the way, yay arch... KC9UDX 3 506 12-24-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,910 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,978 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 290 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Manjaro ARM: enabling external monitors & fixing Broadcom WiFi after updating trifleneurotic 2 745 11-14-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: trifleneurotic
  Manjaro [ARM Stable Update] 2021-07-23 issues Bocanila 1 1,912 08-21-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  [Manjaro] u-boot won't boot from eMMC with (unbootable) SD card present zackw 1 1,850 08-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald