This is how you flash to eMMC easily
(11-17-2022, 04:04 AM)_radv_ Wrote: @gregb49 where did you read you could "access eMMC memory by switching on and holding volume up"?  I recently got this device and am looking for all the informational resources I can find.  I'm in preliminary stages; haddn't read about that, yet.

I'm sorry but I cannot remember where I read that and I don't know what "tow boot" is. This is all a bit new to me.
I've used the Linux gparted/RPi Imager again to flash the phone the with Arch Linux ARM image and am persevering with that, at the moment, having typed in my calendar and contacts so far.
PinePhone Beta 2GB/16GB Postmarket OS v23.06.1 Phosh 0.30.0 (not in use)

PineTab2 Arch Danctnix 6.4.2
I found it, @gregb49.  it's on the wiki.pine64.org page for how to flash an os to the device.  holding the volume + button while plugging into a cpu makes the emmc accessable to the cpu as an external storage storage device much like a hard drive or usb card.  the wiki calls it "tow-boot" which seems like a dumb name to me, butthatsjustme; maybe because the cpu is towing the device along like a tug boat tows a barge?

the wiki describes a method where "jump drive" can make the device accessable to the cpu like "tow-boot" does.  seems like more hardware is required for the "jump drive" option which makes me wonder why someone would use the "jump drive" option?
(11-24-2022, 06:47 AM)_radv_ Wrote: I found it, @gregb49.  it's on the wiki.pine64.org page for how to flash an os to the device.  holding the volume + button while plugging into a cpu makes the emmc accessable to the cpu as an external storage storage device much like a hard drive or usb card.  the wiki calls it "tow-boot" which seems like a dumb name to me, butthatsjustme; maybe because the cpu is towing the device along like a tug boat tows a barge?

the wiki describes a method where "jump drive" can make the device accessable to the cpu like "tow-boot" does.  seems like more hardware is required for the "jump drive" option which makes me wonder why someone would use the "jump drive" option?

As explained in my previous comment, "Tow-Boot" is the bootloader based on U-Boot (see https://tow-boot.org/). It has a USB Mass Storage mode started with the volume key at boot. Flashing with Tow-Boot is only possible if you installed it to the boot medium (microSD card, eMMC) on the regular PinePhone (not the Pro).

Jumpdrive is a tool to expose the eMMC to the computer, which you can boot from microSD card.
(11-24-2022, 06:51 AM)fxc Wrote: As explained in my previous comment, "Tow-Boot" is the bootloader based on U-Boot (see https://tow-boot.org/). It has a USB Mass Storage mode started with the volume key at boot. Flashing with Tow-Boot is only possible if you installed it to the boot medium (microSD card, eMMC) on the regular PinePhone (not the Pro).

Jumpdrive is a tool to expose the eMMC to the computer, which you can boot from microSD card.

I get it.

The Wiki (PinePhone Installation Instructions - PINE64) suggests to me that Tow-Boot is already installed on the device.  That section doesn't differentiate between PinePhone and PinePhone (Pro).
Wiki clarified I hope.
(11-24-2022, 09:07 AM)_radv_ Wrote:
(11-24-2022, 06:51 AM)fxc Wrote: As explained in my previous comment, "Tow-Boot" is the bootloader based on U-Boot (see https://tow-boot.org/). It has a USB Mass Storage mode started with the volume key at boot. Flashing with Tow-Boot is only possible if you installed it to the boot medium (microSD card, eMMC) on the regular PinePhone (not the Pro).

I get it.

The Wiki (PinePhone Installation Instructions - PINE64) suggests to me that Tow-Boot is already installed on the device.  That section doesn't differentiate between PinePhone and PinePhone (Pro).

You're right, the section wasn't really written well. Thanks @wibble for the edits, I've also edited the other parts of the section to make things more clear.
(11-24-2022, 06:47 AM)_radv_ Wrote: I found it, @gregb49.  it's on the wiki.pine64.org page for how to flash an os to the device.  holding the volume + button while plugging into a cpu makes the emmc accessable to the cpu as an external storage storage device much like a hard drive or usb card.  the wiki calls it "tow-boot" which seems like a dumb name to me, butthatsjustme; maybe because the cpu is towing the device along like a tug boat tows a barge?

Good to know and also the other comments are helpful/ However, I've actually been using the jump drive to  try out and install various distributions, trying to get my 'phone to connect to the internet when no wifi is available. 
That's a strange problem which I have now overcome by noting the APN settings on another phone for my SIM Card, then transferring the SIM card to the pine phone and manually typing in all the "Network - Mobile - APN" settings which actually worked, much to my surprise.
Quite a steep learning curve, for me, but I now have a fully functioning pine phone (I think  Wink ) running ubtouch.

Strange, Etcher isn't detecting my Pinephone anymore, is the main board dead? The phone refuses to turn on, too.

EDIT: Looks like re-flashing Jump Drive might have fixed it.
(11-27-2022, 08:07 PM)ThatWasLeftHanded Wrote: Strange, Etcher isn't detecting my Pinephone anymore, is the main board dead? The phone refuses to turn on, too.

I thought I had bricked my 'phone as well whilst flashing mobian-installer-pinephone-phosh-20221120 as no LEDs came on at all on restarts. It seems obvious now, but the next day I tried booting the multi image + Jump Drive, from an SD Card again (xnux.eu) which was fine. I've now installed mobian-installer-pinephone-phosh-20220116 which seems to be fully functional. (UBPorts sadly wasn't after all, for me).

EDIT: Dec 21st 2022. Unfortunately Mobian wasn't as reliable as I had hoped but ArcLinux Posh seems to have the 'phone functionality that I require. I just need to learn how to do a few more things now like read an ePub and add a Podcast nplayer.

(11-28-2022, 04:24 AM)gregb49 Wrote:
(11-27-2022, 08:07 PM)ThatWasLeftHanded Wrote: Strange, Etcher isn't detecting my Pinephone anymore, is the main board dead? The phone refuses to turn on, too.

I thought I had bricked my 'phone as well whilst flashing mobian-installer-pinephone-phosh-20221120 as no LEDs came on at all on restarts. It seems obvious now, but the next day I tried booting the multi image + Jump Drive, from an SD Card again (xnux.eu) which was fine. I've now installed mobian-installer-pinephone-phosh-20220116 which seems to be fully functional. (UBPorts sadly wasn't after all, for me).

EDIT: Dec 21st 2022. Unfortunately Mobian wasn't as reliable as I had hoped but ArcLinux Posh seems to have the 'phone functionality that I require. I just need to learn how to do a few more things now like read an ePub and add a Podcast nplayer.

Mobian requires Tow-Boot on the regular PinePhone. Mind that this thread isn't a support thread and I would suggest to open a dedicated thread with the specific issues.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  install iso from sd card to emmc aular 2 279 03-11-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: tllim
  New Pinephone is dead. eMMC, boot, hardware issues. Shane 4 1,444 05-10-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Jumpdrive broken? eMMc broken Uturn 5 1,719 04-21-2023, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  trouble flashing eMMC TylerBlackberry 3 1,199 04-13-2023, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  emmc formatted by mistake (it no longer appears) elode 5 3,154 07-12-2022, 04:33 AM
Last Post: elode
  Tow Boot - How to Flash a New OS? arkadione 3 2,734 06-15-2022, 04:10 PM
Last Post: kmsgli
  My Pine doesn't allow me to install to eMMC on different OS's Kimberley van Buyten 1 1,334 05-31-2022, 04:26 PM
  no emmc after flash ragele 3 2,195 05-30-2022, 04:26 AM
  eMMC label gilwood 1 2,198 12-31-2021, 06:25 PM
Last Post: moonwalkers
  Cannot Create Profile - Cannot even Flash OS absolutenoob 6 5,289 12-17-2021, 03:52 AM
Last Post: guenther