Slarm64 on Pinebook [Slackware Arm - 64 bit]
UPDATE:   After a few failed attempts, I have created an SD card image with the FULL Slarm64 installation on it (even the KDEI package set, international languages for KDE, which both of are usually skipped).  When unzipped, it is over 13GB.  So you need a minimum of a 16GB SD card for this one.

https://3space.xyz/pineslarm/slarm64-current-aarch64-full-rootfs-20200118-5.5.8-pinebook-build-20200313-1b181b.img.xz

https://3space.xyz/pineslarm/slarm64-cur...img.xz.md5

As for quick-start guides, I checked and this one covers most, if not all, of the Slackware basics:

https://docs.slackware.com/slackware:beginners_guide

In particular, the really important commands for this image that are not already part of a script are:

Code:
xwmconfig
Xfce is probably the safest bet, although KDE does work (I am not a fan nor user of KDE, so I cannot say more).

The other desktops are fun for lightweight experimentation.

I am personally using JWM built from slackbuilds.org.  More on that later.

Code:
iwconfig
This is supposedly for configuring the wireless network.  I must have never seen that.  I have never used that.  Maybe I have been doing it wrong all along.  I will have to try that one next time.

Code:
netconfig

I have always used this for both wired and wireless networks.  I select DHCP for wired networks, and NetworkManager when I want to use a GUI network manager to connect to a wireless network.  That has always worked for me.  YMMV, and the previous command might actually be better.  I am not sure.

The adduser script already is built into this image after you log in as root for the first time.  I have already set the mirror to my mirror, you are free to change it of course.  The rest is somewhat Pinebook-specific.

What I did was write the base image to an SD card, use gparted to grow the partition to fill the SD card, then I chrooted into the SD card, asked for a new DHCPD lease on wlan0, and then ran a full installation from there.  I did not update anything that was already installed, although some of them can be updated.  The reason for this is by doing it this way, I have not altered anything about the initial boot state.  Even though all the package sets have been installed, when you boot it it still boots as if for the first time, so you still generate fresh SSH keys, it grows the image  to fit your SD card (I shrank it back down a few GB's just to make sure it fit on any ~16GB card), and it prompts you to set up a non-root user.  Just like the base image does.  The only main difference is that the mirror has already been set and all package sets have been installed.  This way, I have changed as few defaults as possible.  I could have unset the mirror, but I figure since the images are being downloaded from my server, it kinda makes sense to have my server already set as the mirror.  That was just a choice I made.

I will use this image to go through and document all of the Pinebook-specific tweaks that make it work nicely.  For one, I know that the BT/WiFi power management needs to be adjusted.  Just about everything else works out of the box though.  My next post will document what I need to do to go from this image to a nicely configured system.  Stay tuned for that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Slarm64 on Pinebook [Slackware Arm - 64 bit] - by KRT - 03-20-2020, 02:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DietPi OS for Pinebook MichaIng 3 5,143 03-11-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: oxoocoffee
  Broke pinebook GUI, what to do, fix or install new? acruhl 2 763 07-13-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  Orignal PineBook jwp1000 1 598 07-10-2023, 07:44 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook no longer boots rjtanner 12 3,192 04-13-2023, 01:09 PM
  Stock Debian on original Pinebook moonwalkers 1 3,112 01-29-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: cel
  Write image to eMMC - Pinebook 11.6" irongarment 4 3,640 01-04-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: irongarment
  E: The repository 'http://pinebook.kde.org.uk bionic Release' no longer has a Release pixelpaperyarn 3 5,076 05-07-2021, 10:20 AM
  pinebook.kde.org.uk no longer has release file?? supermassive 1 3,709 01-20-2021, 11:18 AM
Question Ran apt update on my Pinebook.. ford442 0 2,730 12-25-2020, 04:40 PM
Last Post: ford442
Information Manjaro ARM for Pinebook erchache2000 88 110,878 11-29-2020, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Mr.Fermer