Alternative to the screws?
So like I've been trying so do different stuff and have taken the screw out so many times, I'm worried it's gonna strip out.

I was watching an ETA and he reviewed a couple sbc cases that used magnets to hold the lid on. Has anyone tried that or something like that?

I'm about to order some and choice it a shot.
I don't think the bottom panel is magnetic. I just tried both the PBP top and bottom, does not seem to be magnetic.

So, if you do want something like magnets, you'd have to glue or otherwise attach either the magnet or something
magnetic on the outer case.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(03-08-2020, 01:59 PM)Arwen Wrote: I don't think the bottom panel is magnetic. I just tried both the PBP top and bottom, does not seem to be magnetic.

So, if you do want something like magnets, you'd have to glue or otherwise attach either the magnet or something
magnetic on the outer case.

That's kinda what I'm thinking.
(03-08-2020, 12:05 PM)MIchael Wrote: So like I've been trying so do different stuff and have taken the screw out so many times, I'm worried it's gonna strip out.
Which bits of the screw are you worried about stripping? If it's the head, then it shouldn't be too hard to find replacement screws of the same size. You can even switch to a screw head which is less prone to stripping, such as Torx. If you still manage to strip some of the screws, then assuming you get a decent quantity of screws, you can replace them as and when they wear.

Of course if it's the female threads you're worried about, none of this helps.
(03-09-2020, 04:29 AM)Thra11 Wrote: Of course if it's the female threads you're worried about, none of this helps.

That is my worry
Something that came to mind reading you initial post, how would you intend to handle removing the panel so that the edge of the panel doesn't start slicing your fingers when lifting it? Sounds like a cool idea, but I could see issues removing the panel, especially if it's able to seat flush.
I forgot to look at that and I just had mine open.  Filing the sharp edge off is probably the answer, or maybe sanding.  Don't get crumbs in the computer.  You might be able to fold tape over it but it will probably fall off eventually.  Hold the file at a 45 degree angle to the metal and there's a technique called "draw filing" where you slide the file along the edge.

Look at someplace like Fastenal for screws.  https://www.fastenal.com/product/fastene...anded=true  You want flat head metric machine screws, probably stainless steel.  Metric is on the same pages with the imperial but farther down.  There's a diameter and a thread pitch which in imperial is a number of threads per inch.  There's some metric equivalent.  Buying individual ones is expensive, once you're sure of the size look for boxes of 100, they're a lot cheaper.  Mine only had 4 short screws, the rest long.  There are retail Fastenal stores, or a good hardware store would work.  Maybe the Pine Store could sell screw kits?  A nice set of 10 at a decent price.
Filing is probably the best way to resolve that sharp edge. Another thing that just came to mind, that may also have a simple solution: with the edge filed, and screws swapped out for magnets, would an assistance need to be provided to the user to remove the back panel from the magnets? Or should a standard spudger/pry tool work to separate the 2 case pieces?
Thinking about this a bit more, I am not sure magnets will work properly for our Pinebook Pros. Sure they may hold the bottom panel in place.

But, the bottom panel, (screwed on), is actually part of the structure / stiffiner for the chassis. Without it mechanically attached to the plastic top piece, (with the keyboard, trackpad, the CPU board, etc...), it's possible you may get more damage than screws. Like broken hinges, trackpad flexing, or out right cracks in the plastic frame.

That said, I am not trying to talk you out of using magnets for holding the bottom panel to a PBP. Just pasing along a thought.

As they say in Mission: Impossible, good luck should you choose to accept the mission.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(03-11-2020, 06:58 PM)Arwen Wrote: Thinking about this a bit more, I am not sure magnets will work properly for our Pinebook Pros. Sure they may hold the bottom panel in place.

But, the bottom panel, (screwed on), is actually part of the structure / stiffiner for the chassis. Without it mechanically attached to the plastic top piece, (with the keyboard, trackpad, the CPU board, etc...), it's possible you may get more damage than screws. Like broken hinges, trackpad flexing, or out right cracks in the plastic frame.

That said, I am not trying to talk you out of using magnets for holding the bottom panel to a PBP. Just pasing along a thought.

As they say in Mission: Impossible, good luck should you choose to accept the mission.

A very worthy warning!

Quoting part of the wiki: "WARNING: Do not open the laptop by lifting the lid while the Pinebook Pro bottom cover is removed - this can cause structural damage to the hinges and/or other plastic components of the chassis such as the IO port cut-outs.". I would expect such a warning to apply equally if the bottom cover were attached using magnets since rotational forces would be likely to release most of their grip meaning extreme care would be needed when opening/closing the lid.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steps for Installing Alternative OSes in 2022 jazzhands 8 2,622 11-15-2022, 09:39 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screws on bottom case coming loose quadrantids 8 7,083 01-20-2021, 03:47 AM
Last Post: quadrantids
  Screws and Spacers belfastraven 11 12,420 10-13-2020, 09:57 AM
Last Post: feoh
  OBS Studio or alternative on Pinebook Pro? charlespine 4 6,235 09-26-2020, 07:59 AM
Last Post: khan
  Missing Screws missingchip 2 4,015 06-06-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: missingchip
Question Alternative plug-end for PBP wall wart? dumetrulo 4 5,458 03-10-2020, 12:12 PM
Last Post: zaius