Not enough free space
So, I have Ubuntu Touch set-up on the pinephone and I moved the OS to the internal memory with the command
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/mmcblk2 bs=4M

which worked fine.

Now I am trying to install some tools, but when I run the following command for instance

Code:
sudo apt install gparted

i get the error

Code:
E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/.

I managed to install jack, but when I try to run it, I get the same "out of memory" error.

What am I missing, in regards to memory? Do I have to "expand the filesystem" after installation or something?
Try in sudo
Remove unused :
apt-get autoremove --purge
Remove uninstalled cached deb's :
apt-get autoclean
Code:
phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ sudo apt autoremove
[sudo] password for phablet:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ sudo apt autoremove --purge
Building dependency tree      
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ sudo apt autoclean
Building dependency tree      
phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ sudo apt install gparted
Building dependency tree      
The following additional packages will be installed:
 libatkmm-1.6-1v5 libcairomm-1.0-1v5 libglibmm-2.4-1v5 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-common libgtkmm-2.4-1v5 libpangomm-1.4-1v5 libparted-fs-resize0 libsigc++-2.0-0v5
Suggested packages:
 xfsprogs reiserfsprogs reiser4progs jfsutils ntfs-3g mtools yelp kpartx dmraid dmsetup gpart gvfs libparted-dev
Recommended packages:
 libgtk2.0-bin
The following NEW packages will be installed:
 gparted libatkmm-1.6-1v5 libcairomm-1.0-1v5 libglibmm-2.4-1v5 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-common libgtkmm-2.4-1v5 libpangomm-1.4-1v5 libparted-fs-resize0 libsigc++-2.0-0v5                              
0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.                                                                                                                                      
Need to get 3.216 kB of archives.                                                                                                                                                                    
After this operation, 16,0 MB of additional disk space will be used.                                                                                                                                  
phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$    
thanks! but sadly it didn't make a difference. Sad
Try to install gnome-disk-utility instead
Maybe most of dependencies are already installed
After this operation, 1.825 kB of additional disk space will be used.

I think there's something wrong here... Ubuntu Touch is very likely not occupying 16GB of memory.
That mean you don't have 16Mb free :O
To my mind you should resize with command line before install anything..
Or remove something before if you don't want to use cli
sorry, just found that there's already a thread about it: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9090
Yes, you need to resize the filesystem to fill the space you want.
However, for you information, UT does not officially support using apt for installing stuffs. Normally, the root is read-only although in the pinephone this is not the case.
Also, root is usually limited to around 2GB only. Not sure if it's also limited on the pinephone though. And don't expect to run desktop apps on it by installing from the terminal. To do that officially, you need to use libertine but I think it's not working on the pinephone yet. It uses a container for installing things and use xmir for running x apps (it'll be transitioned to xwayland eventually).
(03-08-2020, 10:23 AM)kugiigi Wrote: Yes, you need to resize the filesystem to fill the space you want.
However, for you information, UT does not officially support using apt for installing stuffs. Normally, the root is read-only although in the pinephone this is not the case.
Also, root is usually limited to around 2GB only. Not sure if it's also limited on the pinephone though. And don't expect to run desktop apps on it by installing from the terminal. To do that officially, you need to use libertine but I think it's not working on the pinephone yet. It uses a container for installing things and use xmir for running x apps (it'll be transitioned to xwayland eventually).

Thank you for the heads-up!

Well, I solved the issue by installing gparted and running it via x-forwarding on my PC. I wasn't able to resize the partition with fdisk, resize2fs and/or parted... not sure why. Running gparted directly on the phone won't work either.
Just in case anyones interested though.