Help! Rock64 won't boot anything!
Hello, new Rock64 owner here but not completely new to the world of sbc's. I already own a raspi 1, rapi zero, orange pi pc, odroid hc2 and several "amlogic china android boxes".

I recently bought a Rock64, preowned and I cannot get it to boot anything. The initial owner ensured me for him it was working fine.
So far I already seeked help via discord channel, irc and via pine64 ticket system without any success.

I also found and tried several troubleshooting articles and threads..

The main reason I don't wanna quit yet is that I see 3 straight lights when I plug the Rock64 in  Big Grin I never heard of a sbc that "suddenly" gets defective without any reason. I only heard of sbc's that were dead on arrival or got damaged by the user by applying wrong power supply etc.
Of course the initial owner could be lying..idk. But also the board has no visible damage..

I already wrote explanations of what I tried a couple times so please excuse me just pasting the initial ticket here:

Hi, I recently bought a preowned Rock64 2gb v2.0 board which I cannot get to boot anything.
Since I guess there isn't any warranty on it I'm solely relying on your goodwill here.

The preowner assured me that the board is working and he could boot up different images...
I found the NOOB section in your wiki and this is what I tried so far:
Run h2testw on the sd card I used
Tried different sd cards
Tried different images
also Tried the u-boot erase image from ayufans github
tried via usb (I thought maybe the board is set to boot from usb, there is no emmc module in place) with different usb sticks and images (also erase u-boot image)
Tried different power supplies (one rated 5.1V@2.5A others rated at 5V@2.5A)

All I get upon plugging the barrel jack in is straight light from the 3 leds (green, red and white) and that's it. No lights on ethernet port, nothing shows up in my network and no hdmi output.
Only thing I could notice with sd card (erase u-boot image) inserted is when I plug in the barrel jack I can see the white led flashing just real short at the beginning (not even one sec) then again straight lights.

Can you help me troubleshoot that?
Also what are the 3 buttons (recovery, reset, power) doing in detail? I couldn't find any documentation on that anywhere.

Lastly I now wanted to get output via serial console.Set everything up correctly but all I get (no media plugged in, only sd card, only usb stick plugged in) is this:

...Is this standard output when nothing boots or does it mean sth. else, maybe defective board?

[Image: TkhCaq8]

Pine64 support did not react to my questions concerning serial output and what the buttons do, after some basic troubleshooting they concluded that the board is defective but I cannot apply for RMA because I'm not the original buyer..which is totally true and fine.
Still, I cannot believe that the board is defective...it doesn't get hot anywhere upon powering it, there are leds that give a straight light and there is no visual damage.....I must be sth. wrong or sth. is set up that hinders the board from booting.

Can anyone help me here and suggest things to try?
Especially it would be nice to have the questions answered regarding serial console output and the 3 buttons....
It's basically my last hope. Especially if I could get some serial output...I think there should be some even if the board doesn't boot? or am I wrong?
I think your board is not broken. UART output you get, most probably is a result of baud rate mismatch, rockchip socs use this crazy 1500000 baud/s rate, i never managed to really use it with any system connected as a terminal. that is, the board prints info into it, but it does that with that uncommon speed, whereas your receiving port handling software thinks it's normal 115200. may be that. so, first what you need is to establish serial output. you need to ensure your adapter (and its driver) does support 1.5Mbaud/s rate. the problem with the board itself may be in that, there is something in SPI flash, and that something pooped its pants, stuck and preventing you from successful boot out of sd card. unfortunately, I don't remember how, but you could try to disable SPI, by shorting some pins on the header during boot, search for it here, in the appropriate forum, try it with a guaranteed properly prepared sd card (with uboot etc) inserted, of course. if that boot is successful, you can properly and certainly erase SPI flash from that linux session and have troublefree boots next times.
ANT - my hobby OS for x86 and ARM.
(03-06-2020, 12:15 PM)z4v4l Wrote: I think your board is not broken. UART output you get, most probably is a result of baud rate mismatch, rockchip socs use this crazy 1500000 baud/s rate, i never managed to really use it with any system connected as a terminal. that is, the board prints info into it, but it does that with that uncommon speed, whereas your receiving port handling software thinks it's normal 115200. may be that. so, first what you need is to establish serial output. you need to ensure your adapter (and its driver) does support 1.5Mbaud/s rate. the problem with the board itself may be in that, there is something in SPI flash, and that something pooped its pants, stuck and preventing you from successful boot out of  sd card. unfortunately, I don't remember how, but you could try to disable SPI, by shorting some pins on the header during boot, search for it here, in the appropriate forum, try it with a guaranteed properly prepared sd card (with uboot etc) inserted, of course. if that boot is successful, you can properly and certainly erase SPI flash from that linux session and have troublefree boots next times.

:O omg, thank you so much! There's light on the ethernet port. Yesss!!! It's pin 21 that needs to be connected with gnd (for example pin 20)

Now I'll erase and rewrite spi Smile
..It's a bit embarassing that "some random person" on this forum just solves this with a quick post (really no offense Big Grin) and Pine64 support cannot do so after a 3 day long lasting ticket troubleshoot Big Grin
Thx again!
(03-06-2020, 04:24 PM)trohn_javolta Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 12:15 PM)z4v4l Wrote: I think your board is not broken. UART output you get, most probably is a result of baud rate mismatch, rockchip socs use this crazy 1500000 baud/s rate, i never managed to really use it with any system connected as a terminal. that is, the board prints info into it, but it does that with that uncommon speed, whereas your receiving port handling software thinks it's normal 115200. may be that. so, first what you need is to establish serial output. you need to ensure your adapter (and its driver) does support 1.5Mbaud/s rate. the problem with the board itself may be in that, there is something in SPI flash, and that something pooped its pants, stuck and preventing you from successful boot out of  sd card. unfortunately, I don't remember how, but you could try to disable SPI, by shorting some pins on the header during boot, search for it here, in the appropriate forum, try it with a guaranteed properly prepared sd card (with uboot etc) inserted, of course. if that boot is successful, you can properly and certainly erase SPI flash from that linux session and have troublefree boots next times.

:O omg, thank you so much! There's light on the ethernet port. Yesss!!! It's pin 21 that needs to be connected with gnd (for example pin 20)

Now I'll erase and rewrite spi Smile
..It's a bit embarassing that "some random person" on this forum just solves this with a quick post (really no offense Big Grin) and Pine64 support cannot do so after a 3 day long lasting ticket troubleshoot Big Grin
Thx again!

Sometimes, forum and IRC are more effective than support ticket. More brains here, less brains there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are HW design files available for ROCK64? irenek 3 4,533 12-11-2023, 09:31 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Rock64 is unreliable after 3 years of service - power problem? ReleaseTheGeese 0 278 11-23-2023, 05:05 AM
Last Post: ReleaseTheGeese
  Rock64 PoE compatbility with Pi4 Hatt recent Single Board Computer offering from PINE kharak 1 974 04-26-2023, 11:38 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Case for the rock64 that supports the POE hat. o1CRiMSON1o 0 576 03-21-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: o1CRiMSON1o
Brick Rock64 usb2.0 Power Control Floating GPIO Tutorial Files & Notes MarkHaysHarris777 6 13,041 01-15-2023, 10:36 AM
Last Post: ds00
  rock64 totally brick dakobg 2 1,647 11-07-2022, 05:45 PM
Last Post: olivercfc
  3D-Printable Button Pegs for the ROCK64 Aluminium Case CounterPillow 2 3,408 08-04-2022, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Vicky Weimann PhD
  Where can I find the ROCK64 POE HAT Zoz 2 2,498 06-08-2022, 12:44 AM
Last Post: Zoz
Smile wooden case for ROCK64 killor 13 16,171 03-04-2022, 06:56 AM
Last Post: killor
  1wire DS18b20 on Rock64? mypineme 6 6,826 09-28-2021, 03:07 PM
Last Post: TRS-80