NO AFTER SALE SUPPORT --> After one week no way to remove batterie
For your information: I have ordered a new battery @Amazon which I will arrived tomorrow. So I hope my issue will be solved.
But ......
first I have to repeat: I never have gotten any information that I should send my phone back to service !!!!!!

second (out of topic): The reply and 'quotation' here in this forum is worst. I'm working in several other forum and there I can select which text or text part I want quote or I can reply without any quotation.
(03-23-2020, 08:12 AM)harvey186 Wrote: For your information: I have ordered a new battery @Amazon which I will arrived tomorrow. So I hope my issue will be solved.
But ......
first I have to repeat: I never have gotten any information that I should send my phone back to service !!!!!!

Ok, and I'm curious to know which seller and product you have chosen (if you want to share the link with us) and if the battery will work well.
And yes, I read the pdf you sent, but I tried to find the most relaxing way to communicate, because I think it is useful to find an accommodating solution. From my message you can understand that my opinion is not in favor of sending the phone, even if it was really proposed to you through email or not, because it is more expensive than replacing the battery, even if there is the risk that the problem could be another.

(03-23-2020, 08:12 AM)harvey186 Wrote: second (out of topic): The reply and 'quotation' here in this forum is worst. I'm working in several other forum and there I can select which text or text part I want quote or I can reply without any quotation.

I usually try to avoid quoting or at least complete quoting because it consumes more space, sometimes unnecessarily.
This time I wanted to quote to be more direct.
I have forgotten:
The fact that I bought a new battery does not change the fact that the after sales service of Pine64 is bad.
The battery cost me 8 Euro. For Pine64, the bad service will cost more, because I don't think anyone from my quite large community will buy a Pine64 product anymore.
(03-23-2020, 08:56 AM)vinnie Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 08:12 AM)harvey186 Wrote: For your information: I have ordered a new battery @Amazon which I will arrived tomorrow. So I hope my issue will be solved.
But ......

Ok, and I'm curious to know which seller and product you have chosen (if you want to share the link with us) and if the battery will work well.
And yes, I read the pdf you sent, but I tried to find the most relaxing way to communicate, because I think it is useful to find an accommodating solution. From my message you can understand that my opinion is not in favor of sending the phone, even if it was really proposed to you through email or not, because it is more expensive than replacing the battery, even if there is the risk that the problem could be another.

(03-23-2020, 08:12 AM)harvey186 Wrote: second (out of topic): The reply and 'quotation' here in this forum is worst. I'm working in several other forum and there I can select which text or text part I want quote or I can reply without any quotation.

I usually try to avoid quoting or at least complete quoting because it consumes more space, sometimes unnecessarily.
This time I wanted to quote to be more direct.
Good tip!

As for the support of these machines. I would not expect them to fix your battery problem since they are not a major manufacturer like IBM/Lenovo is. They probably don't have the resources to fix buyers machines nor the experience with design flaws in manufacturing like the big corporations do.
(03-23-2020, 01:22 PM)hottyson Wrote: Good tip!

As for the support of these machines. I would not expect them to fix your battery problem since they are not a major manufacturer like IBM/Lenovo is. They probably don't have the resources to fix buyers machines nor the experience with design flaws in manufacturing like the big corporations do.
They are selling hardware, icl. batteries. So in warranty cases they are responsible for it. They 'grown' batterie is an warranty issue !!!! If they aren't able to make an after sale support and accepting warranty issues, the better close their doors. Big or small company -- warranty is warranty.
(03-24-2020, 02:53 AM)harvey186 Wrote:

They are selling hardware, icl. batteries. So in warranty cases they are responsible for it. They 'grown' batterie is an warranty issue !!!! If they aren't able to make an after sale support and accepting warranty issues, the better close their doors. Big or small company -- warranty is warranty.

A frustrating situation indeed-I agree with you that if a warranty is offered, then honour it and provide CS that can respond appropriately. If I were you, I would have been using Twitter to expose this.
(04-02-2020, 10:16 PM)rhanksjr Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 02:53 AM)harvey186 Wrote:

A frustrating situation indeed-I agree with you that if a warranty is offered, then honour it and provide CS that can respond appropriately. If I were you, I would have been using Twitter to expose this.

Very interesting and instructive topic.

Everyone should read it and think about it.

As I see it, Pinephone is not a 'typical' phone business, and in its website already inform people that this phone is to explore, and no one should complain for a dead pixel or two. If a new battery cost $8, please don't complain about this.

However, reading the pdf probably pinephone could be a little bit more helpful. GIving instructions on how to remove the battery and offer links where to buy one instead of only avoiding the return.

Moreover, pinephone should have a better plan for these kind of situations. Sending the phone back with a swollen battery that can explode is not the smartest plan. Everyone know some iphones have exploded, so everything with a battery can give surprises.

So, both parts should be more understanding. Buyers by knowing what are they getting and sellers being more prepared for customer service.

Best
They really should improve their customer support quality at least from what I can read on this topic. Being this a niche market its SUPER important to take care of the customer and at least show them some respect. I ordered the UBports community Edition mostly to support the UBports team and this unique collaboration with the Pine64 guys. I understand the risks behind this type of experimental projects but the only thing I ask for Pine64 is to have at least a proper professional, open and honest communication with their clients. It's the least anyone here expects to receive.

Thank you.
This is a tricky issue, but I think there is some common ground here:

The support response shown in the PDF could be improved. First establish what's wrong from the customers perspective, then offer a solution. I would probably accept an answer like "Unfortunately this is not covered under regular warranty but the Samsung J7 2015 replacement batteries are compatible.".

Then there's the simple fact that PINE64 is a much smaller company than most other phone manufacturers. Companies like Samsung have margins to send off replacement parts even outside of warranty just to keep customers happy. PINE64 is already selling the PinePhone with slim margins so I would fully understand if they're being a bit thin on replacement parts (especially with a pandemic getting in their way). It's perhaps not ideal from a customer service standpoint but I'm sure they intend to improve this over time.

The PinePhone has resulted in a lot of attention so I can imagine they're a bit overwhelmed at the moment, as far as I can remember the main products aside from the PineBook have all been SBCs which do not have the same target audience at all.

Then there's the parts where our opinions differ a bit:

The PinePhone is not meant as a universal end user device, by which I mean you could give it to anyone and the phone will take care of itself. It's for developers and early adopters. While it shouldn't matter on a formal level I'd be a lot less inclined to complain about faults, even if they would be relatively severe on a universal end user device.

There's a lot going on with power management right now. Voltages are being adjusted, sleep mode is being debugged, etc. Since Lithium batteries are particularly sensitive to misconfiguration while charging I'd expect having to sacrifice a few. It's unfortunate these parameters aren't easier to tune and that these changes propagate in waves to existing units, but it's getting better. I might even stock up on a couple of batteries myself when my PinePhone arrives just to be safe.

At the end of the day, these batteries are cheap. As you said you found a replacement battery for $8 and to me that's not really worth burning bridges for. No, it's not fun waiting around for a replacement part for your shiny new device, but it's just a mass produced battery. I'm not trying to dismiss this as a non-issue, but as far as damaged hardware goes it could be a lot worse.

Lastly, maybe you're right and the battery compartment should be just a little bigger to accommodate for growing batteries. It's a valid complaint (and if it's serious enough this could end up similar to the infamous Note 7) but you went almost straight to demanding a new battery. In the greater scheme of things, what's more important; you getting a one time solution of a new battery or fixing a potentially critical design flaw for everyone? This is really a decision for PINE64, but please help them on the way there. Like I said this is a device intended for developers and early adopters. Your help in finding design flaws will be appreciated by the community if you go about presenting them in the right way.

I hope we can bring this together into a proper investigation for a hardware flaw and I'm looking forward to a follow up with the new battery. Please let us know if the new battery fits better and if there's a notable increase in battery performance, it will help us determine what went wrong with the old one as well.
(03-03-2020, 01:55 AM)harvey186 Wrote: I have use now the PP for one week and now the complete caseing seems to be warped and I can't remove the batterie. And what is the pine customer service is writing:

-------------
Please to inform you that the battery was damaged by yourself, we apologize as it will not cover under warranty.
However, you may purchase the replacement battery from any online market(Amazon) which is same model with Samsung J7(2015).
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Your understanding and patience is greatly appreciated.
support team#2...

What a bad after sales service !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So be warned. If you will have an issue in the first warranty month, you want get help !!!!

I completely agree with the sales team. This damage was done by you (well, not the battery being tight). If you had asked in the pine64 chats such as on discord or telegram, you likely would have gotten a solution which is to loosen the screws a tiny bit around the back casing. Once you do this you will no longer have any trouble with removing the battery.

Using force only gaurentees you will damage the battery. (or in this case shoving the knife in to show how tight it is)

If it has since inflated, that is definitely your fault from shoving the knife in.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone carrier support in Hungary notramo 7 2,604 12-14-2022, 12:18 PM
Last Post: notramo
  Keyboard support broken in Mobian? MacarioMorenoUK 2 1,737 06-08-2022, 02:34 AM
Last Post: MacarioMorenoUK
Bug [Support Request] Modem is Failing to Be Accessible FriendlyGecko 3 2,806 11-30-2021, 01:22 PM
Last Post: FriendlyGecko
  Remove striped screw pizzalovingnerd 18 16,262 12-08-2020, 02:22 PM
Last Post: tllim
Sad Need support with Support iyereed 16 18,093 07-30-2020, 02:59 AM
Last Post: iyereed
  EG25-G support for emergency alerts (WEA/CMAS) newton688 5 6,685 07-01-2020, 11:35 AM
Last Post: wibble
  replacement batterie doesn't fit harvey186 1 2,283 03-26-2020, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Alho
  US 4G/5G LTE support rocket2nfinity 17 23,681 02-14-2020, 08:00 PM
Last Post: PineFan